ADVERTISEMENT

Brendan Sullivan enters the transfer portal

I haven't see Aidan Gray, but I understand he is pretty far down the depth chart. We know what we have in sixth year Hilinski, and ND Whiz Kid Lausch is just not as good as Sullivan. If someone better shows up, great. But that is not what I said. Not gonna repeat myself. We are looking at 2-10 with the current crew

I haven't see Aidan Gray, but I understand he is pretty far down the depth chart. We know what we have in sixth year Hilinski, and ND Whiz Kid Lausch is just not as good as Sullivan. If someone better shows up, great. But that is not what I said. Not gonna repeat myself. We are looking at 2-10 with the current crew
How do you know that Lausch is not as good as Sullivan? Braun was pretty effusive in his praise for Lausch following the April 20th practice.
Maybe Lausch was in the process of beating out Sullivan. This doesn't mean we wouldn't target a portal QB if we can get a good one, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Reactions: KappaKat
Are you saying that the QB room remaining on the roster can win 4+ games? I don’t think so. Very sketchy to say they told Sullivan something definitive without having a transfer lined up. There’s been absolutely zero rumor mill evidence that any QB had talked to or visited NU at any time.
What did you think of what the QB’s did on Saturday?

How do you know that Lausch is not as good as Sullivan? Braun was pretty effusive in his praise for Lausch following the April 20th practice.
Maybe Lausch was in the process of beating out Sullivan. This doesn't mean we wouldn't target a portal QB if we can get a good one, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Do we still have people getting a boner over Lausch because he had an ND (baseball) scholarship offer? If anything, I think he'd be better at another position. Seems like a good athlete.

Do we still have people getting a boner over Lausch because he had an ND (baseball) scholarship offer? If anything, I think he'd be better at another position. Seems like a good athlete.
Why not answer the question which is how do you know that Lausch is not better than Sullivan? Well, you don't, which is my point.! ;)

People are dismissing him based on what they saw last year. He’s not going to be CT type thrower and likely is a change of pace guy, but people act like the can never contribute.

I feel like this is an overread; don't see what Schill/Gragg have to do with this transfer, especially when the glaring omission is the coaching staff in his statement.

Feels pretty clear that Braun/Lujan didn't give him a starter commitment so he's out. Don't see why we need to read much further; they probably told him that they're looking for a transfer and that he hasn't won the position.
So you're saying that my guess about the Bible verse is an "overread" but then you don't try to explain it at all?
Thats lame.

I say you are oversimplifying what happened, because we don't know what happened with Sullivan and it makes you feel better.

See how that works?

Why not answer the question which is how do you know that Lausch is not better than Sullivan? Well, you don't, which is my point.! ;)
I also don't know if I will wake up tomorrow, but I am pretty sure I will. I would really rather not comment much further on specific players in this instance as it would appear to be an attack. Let's just say I have far less confidence and leave it at that.

Regardless, presuming that tickets are available and reasonable, I will be there with full support of whichever QB is playing

I also don't know if I will wake up tomorrow, but I am pretty sure I will. I would really rather not comment much further on specific players in this instance as it would appear to be an attack. Let's just say I have far less confidence and leave it at that.

Regardless, presuming that tickets are available and reasonable, I will be there with full support of whichever QB is playing
Well, you already did comment negatively on Lausch, even you, like everyone else, have no idea how he looked in Spring practice, even suggesting he should be moved to another position. My point is that you have no basis for making these comments, so I wouldn't be interested in hearing any further comments from you. Like you, however, I'll be rooting for all QBs who play for NU during the 2024 season

I don’t think Lausch has much of an arm, and I don’t think he has the wiggle to make up for that lack of arm. I don’t know any of these things, however. I’ve just watched him run around and not be as dynamic running around as previous NU quarterbacks. And I’ve seen him not get the chance to pass, even though the defense was only ever keyed on him to run. (But, he *was* playing under a Bajakian offense.)

I’m happy NU has a committed QB recruit from the A list. As for quarterback recruiting under Mick and Bajakian, it’s like they used to say about the Cubs, “hey, anybody can have a bad decade (century) or two.”

Marty has been the most productive high school QB recruit since Thorson.

Last edited:
Let’s be real… we’re not really bummed we’re losing Sullivan. He really wasn’t very good. We’re just worried there is no one else even that good.
That says it all. And we have no depth either so a single injury really wrecks things

That says it all. And we have no depth either so a single injury really wrecks things
You know, the basketball team included a lacrosse player a few years ago who had some success. As the football team will be playing in a lacrosse stadium perhaps they should go in a similar direction?

You know, the basketball team included a lacrosse player a few years ago who had some success. As the football team will be playing in a lacrosse stadium perhaps they should go in a similar direction?
The thing is that the competition is much better as well. You now will have a rotation of PSU, U of M, OSU, Washington, Oregon, UCLA, and USC. Granted the Ca schools have gone down a notch, but are still better than NU. We will almost have to sweep just about all of our old West Division rivals to make a bowl anymore. God help us if Clemson and FSU eventually come on board. Coach Braun and co have a very daunting task ahead of them. I can see a repeat of '21 and '22 coming in the next two seasons.

Reactions: hudsoncat
The thing is that the competition is much better as well. You now will have a rotation of PSU, U of M, OSU, Washington, Oregon, UCLA, and USC. Granted the Ca schools have gone down a notch, but are still better than NU. We will almost have to sweep just about all of our old West Division rivals to make a bowl anymore. God help us if Clemson and FSU eventually come on board. Coach Braun and co have a very daunting task ahead of them. I can see a repeat of '21 and '22 coming in the next two seasons.
I predict the seven teams you listed will never play a game in the new Ryan Field.

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
And we won't be really playing that many of them each year any more

No. We build a billion-dollar stadium and find we are not members of the super conference when it opens.
Super League stuff can't happen until mid-2030s anyhow at the earliest.

Big Ten doesn't have an exit fee but it does have a grant of rights through mid-2030s (one that I assume is much stronger than the ACC version).

0 chance we'd be spending $800 million on a stadium if we thought the Big Ten was disappearing anytime soon.

Reactions: No Chores
The only thing that might change in the B1G in tge next decade is a few more teams added but no one in the B1G or SEC is going to vote to give up their guaranteed payout for a long time. It is already a super league, but not all the teams are in their final position and no one is changing that until the current network contract end.

As far as competing against those schools, I think we will be in a better position than most people believe. I also would not be surprised if the B1G and SEC adopted a rule allowing sub 500 teams to play bowls. If it gives the league more revenue, why not?

I also would not be surprised if the B1G and SEC adopted a rule allowing sub 500 teams to play bowls
I'd be in favor of a 12 game conference schedule if that were the case. I'm tired of playing, and mostly losing to, Puke and Miami Hydroxide. And who cares if we beat directional Illinois?

And we won't be really playing that many of them each year any more
All you need is to play 4-5 of them and your season could be in jeopardy, unless you are one of those 7, especially OSU, Oregon, Washington, and U of M. I don't see the current roster of NU to be able to gain bowl eligibility in the near future. Like I said in my original post, I was hoping for maybe a bump in the recruiting realm due to the Cinderella season, but it hasn't materialized. We did land the transfer from CO, but thus far, our new roster is devoid of real talent.

All you need is to play 4-5 of them and your season could be in jeopardy, unless you are one of those 7, especially OSU, Oregon, Washington, and U of M. I don't see the current roster of NU to be able to gain bowl eligibility in the near future. Like I said in my original post, I was hoping for maybe a bump in the recruiting realm due to the Cinderella season, but it hasn't materialized. We did land the transfer from CO, but thus far, our new roster is devoid of real talent.
At the end of the day, I want to see good teams play. Padding victories with the likes of SW Missouri State so that you can play in the motor City bowl is fools gold. Give me an upset over Oregon every now than then!

BTW, it will be tough to start with all this heavy hitters in the league, but the pure fact that there are these heavy hitters will actually improve the quality of talent NU gets. I don’t expect to be conceding defeat in the longer term.

The issue is that with the new schedules, we likely wouldn't even be playing that many. They get rid of divisions and you pretty much have your schedule out of 17 teams of which the old BIG W in only about 1/3 of so figuring 9 conference games, on average you would be playing former BIG W opponents more like 3 games a year and not exactly like those games are easy. Even if you add a game or two against BIG E teams that are less than the top like IN. Reality is that things just got a lot tougher as our roster will be at its lowest level of actual talent at the time that our schedule just got a lot tougher

Reactions: Jaguar 88
Don’t besmirch Cole Freeman like that.

Sullivan will get a starting job at a MAC school and a chance to have a really memorable season.

He played a great game against Maryland last season, and had certainly improved since coming to Evanston. It’s reasonable that he wanted to be named QB1, and it would have been silly for NU to do so.

Congrats on getting that degree in 3 years. NU is a pretty neat place.
If one great game is what you’re banking on then Hilinski’s game against Nebraska (not to mention a few against the likes of Alabama and Georgia in the SEC as a freshman) would trump Sullivan’s one magical game. He looked terrible in other games, and it’s likely he just got beat out by someone on the roster (looks like Lausch). Never thought he was anything but a good back up. Hope we land someone solid in the portal either way.

The issue is that with the new schedules, we likely wouldn't even be playing that many. They get rid of divisions and you pretty much have your schedule out of 17 teams of which the old BIG W in only about 1/3 of so figuring 9 conference games, on average you would be playing former BIG W opponents more like 3 games a year and not exactly like those games are easy. Even if you add a game or two against BIG E teams that are less than the top like IN. Reality is that things just got a lot tougher as our roster will be at its lowest level of actual talent at the time that our schedule just got a lot tougher
Exactly. The conference got tougher, but our talent is deficient at the present time and probably will be for at least 2-3 seasons, maybe more.

Exactly. The conference got tougher, but our talent is deficient at the present time and probably will be for at least 2-3 seasons, maybe more.
At this point, I only worry about Ohio State, Oregon, Michigan, and Penn State as being super tough games.

Just take a look at our schedule the next 4 years. We play 2-3 games against Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Oregon, USC, and Washington each year. That is manageable. Yes, we have to be better than average but we definitely can go bowling and if it turns out the new coaching staff makes the right decision, we really have a good chance in 2026 and 2027 when our new stadium opens (And the schedule looks favorable). In the meantime, maybe the lakefront stadium will give us a unique advantage.

I am not expecting miracles this year or next but I didn’t expect anything last year and the team came through,

Last edited:
If one great game is what you’re banking on then Hilinski’s game against Nebraska (not to mention a few against the likes of Alabama and Georgia in the SEC as a freshman) would trump Sullivan’s one magical game. He looked terrible in other games, and it’s likely he just got beat out by someone on the roster (looks like Lausch). Never thought he was anything but a good back up. Hope we land someone solid in the portal either way.
Hilinski had an even bigger (numbers) game the following week against Duke, albeit with lower QBR. Like top 10 all time game for NU. A Schwab/Kerrigan type game.

And then....

That should be AND ... And unfortunately, based on recruiting we have seen so far, could be a lot longer.

That should be AND ... And unfortunately, based on recruiting we have seen so far, could be a lot longer.
The key, not surprisingly, will be QB, and on a related note, NIL. The coaching staff is in good hands and will put out tough defenses and innovative offenses even with low-ranked recruits.

Looks like Gronk isn't available, and I don't know WHAT'S left in the portal. I find these statements of "Lausch beat out Sullivan" puzzling, since it would have had to happen in a dozen spring practices. Sullivan beat him out last year, and even in the bowl, they turned to Hilinski when Bryant went down. Lausch gave no indication of anything special last year. I think he averaged 1 ypc after his long run v UTEP.

I mean, I expected us to go 1-11 last year, so I know next to nothing (soon to be the most quote post on this board), but if these are our QBs, I am very concerned. It's not even enough to run practices.

Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT