ADVERTISEMENT

Brown is gone

I'm pleased. I think this will be good for Brown and good for the Cats. Brown will get playing time elsewhere, and I have confidence in Collins' ability to land a player who is a better fit. Brown does seem like a good guy, so I hope he lands in a place that suits him.

Well, I don't think many people will be surprised. He made some big shots for us in 2017, and I hope he finds a spot where he fits better. Seems like a good guy.

I wish him nothing but the best. He will always be remembered as part of the historic 2016-17 team. And FWIW, his ability to draw charges was uncanny!! Not afraid to stand his ground.

[I sure hope they either get a grad transfer or a Freshman with this scholarship or someone will have their panties in a bunch all year over an unused scholarship a la Vassar!! Dang!!!]

Last edited:
Reactions: IGNORE2
Best of luck to Isiah. Agree with others that this is probably best for all. Truly hope he finds a good spot where his style of play can help his team win games. Definitely has a lot of value on the right team.

I wish him nothing but the best. He will always be remembered as part of the historic 2016-17 team. And FWIW, his ability to draw charges was uncanny!! Not afraid to stand his ground.

[I sure hope they either get a grad transfer or a Freshman with this scholarship or someone will have their panties in a bunch all year over an unused scholarship a la Vassar!! Dang!!!]
Dam right and I don't think I will be the only one, especially after all of the injuries last season. Wonder how Rap is doing?

You'll have to excuse me if I think Isiah got pretty screwed. It was pretty obvious this was a done deal in November.
Do you feel that his attitude and work effort had little to do with this? Hey, Pitt has lots of openings.

Reactions: Fitz51
I have no reason or evidence to question Brown's attitude or work ethic. Based on the very little information I have from what was in plain sight, both were fine.

It did, however, often appear to my unsophisticated eyes that he was playing a different game than his teammates. On offense, often largely by himself.

There were some moments and some games that were better than others, but it didn't seem to me that there was a substantive change to this over time.

Any Pitt players of interest? ( I don’t follow college Bball except a little during March )

DYgDTOaXcAEWzPa.jpg:large

I have no reason or evidence to question Brown's attitude or work ethic. Based on the very little information I have from what was in plain sight, both were fine.

It did, however, often appear to my unsophisticated eyes that he was playing a different game than his teammates. On offense, often largely by himself.

There were some moments and some games that were better than others, but it didn't seem to me that there was a substantive change to this over time.
Maybe your right but their had to be some reason other then his on court play that Collins sat him, even when he was down to 8 healthy players.

Maybe your right but their had to be some reason other then his on court play that Collins sat him, even when he was down to 8 healthy players.
We'll never know everything, but eventually we will know more. In the meantime I'll stick with the little I do know.

I think this is a very accurate take

Sad to see the kid who grew up in Alaska heading out of Evanston. Its your guys fault though - you had a colder winter there than we did here in the land of ice and snow.

Best to Isiah and thanks to him for helping to make history in his efforts that contributed to Northwestern's first NCAA Tournament appearance.

1) I have no clue what happened in the off season or practice. Maybe that's where the problems arose.

During the season, there was NO gametime evidence of a bad attitude. Quite the opposite considering how he was treated.

2) He was not the only player on this team playing his own game.

1) I have no clue what happened in the off season or practice. Maybe that's where the problems arose.

During the season, there was NO gametime evidence of a bad attitude. Quite the opposite considering how he was treated.

True but team chemistry was a problem with this seasons team. Your right that it takes two or more to tango. Thinking that it might be a bit late to go after a top of the line H.S. senior do you think a 5th year transfer will be the choice ?

I'm going to stick with my thoughts from back then. Brown and CCC knew Brown was transferring and that the season was a lost and chose to play anybody that would be here next year as much as possible (except BMac and Lindsey - even Skelly finally found the bench).

But always a square peg. All evidence pointed to a guy that would come in shoot first mentality. Why CCC thought that would change... And if he really was expected to be the PG of the future as walker argued then CCC really deserves the blame on this one.

But always a square peg. All evidence pointed to a guy that would come in shoot first mentality. Why CCC thought that would change...
Agree with you on this one. I know a hell of a lot less about basketball than CCC, but to me IB is a classic (Tre Demps style) 2-guard. Expecting him to play point would have been nutso.

Agree with you on this one. I know a hell of a lot less about basketball than CCC, but to me IB is a classic (Tre Demps style) 2-guard. Expecting him to play point would have been nutso.

Tre had a four-year career here and led several huge, unforgettable wins. I agree that IB was cut from Tre’s cloth, though he wasn’t close to the same level of jump shooter. I’m just still confused about why he couldn’t have been the same guy as last year, a bench player who could turn 4-5 games in a season with a hot streak. How did he regress to the point of being unplayable? The discussion only matters now because in CC’s tenure, he’s developed only one Big Ten caliber PG. That‘s a bigger black mark on his tenure than the five-year record comparisons that were being floated earlier.

Tre had a four-year career here and led several huge, unforgettable wins. I agree that IB was cut from Tre’s cloth, though he wasn’t close to the same level of jump shooter. I’m just still confused about why he couldn’t have been the same guy as last year, a bench player who could turn 4-5 games in a season with a hot streak. How did he regress to the point of being unplayable? The discussion only matters now because in CC’s tenure, he’s developed only one Big Ten caliber PG. That‘s a bigger black mark on his tenure than the five-year record comparisons that were being floated earlier.

You're breaking Wrassler's heart, you know.....

Congrats to IB on his decision to transfer. Obviously, the coaching staff knew that decision for months shown by their refusal to give minutes to a more talented guard than a less talented player. He played a key role in NU’s history making season 2 years ago. I will always remember his key plays made in beating OSU in Columbus since the 1970s and the tight win over Rutgers where Doug Collins’ face went through all sorts of contortions.

Too bad NU’s coaching staff could not have harnessed his playmaking ability. That is what makes great coaches (John Beilein) and Collins and his staff are not there yet.

Now we rely on a true freshman to lead a very talented team because his backup is not a PG. We shall see what happens but hopefully we recruit a 5th year graduate transfer to be an able backup PG.

Reactions: cat inkansas
Now we rely on a true freshman to lead a very talented team because his backup is not a PG..
Uh, Ash actually IS a point guard. Not a B1G starter by any means, but showed enough last year to be a decent back-up. Lathon will get the lion's share of minutes, just as BMac did as a Freshman. NU will be fine at the point next season.

Congrats to IB on his decision to transfer. Obviously, the coaching staff knew that decision for months shown by their refusal to give minutes to a more talented guard than a less talented player. He played a key role in NU’s history making season 2 years ago. I will always remember his key plays made in beating OSU in Columbus since the 1970s and the tight win over Rutgers where Doug Collins’ face went through all sorts of contortions.

Too bad NU’s coaching staff could not have harnessed his playmaking ability. That is what makes great coaches (John Beilein) and Collins and his staff are not there yet.

Now we rely on a true freshman to lead a very talented team because his backup is not a PG. We shall see what happens but hopefully we recruit a 5th year graduate transfer to be an able backup PG.
Seems to me that this has been coming for a while and NU has had plenty of time to consider and even scout possible grad transfers. Maybe we will hear something after the tournament.

Or maybe two graduate transfers if Rap can not play due to repeated surgeries.

Next season, NU will have six or seven new players in Turner, Nance, Lathon, Kopp, Young, Rap (or someone new) and the player taking off IB’s spot. So NU will have a completely different team, chemistry and dynamic next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT