ADVERTISEMENT

Camps and Stars

CatsDad

Jun 18, 2015
A recruits ratings can be different depending on which recruiting site you follow. According to one site we have one 4 star , and according to others we have a few two stars. Honestly, I feel Rivals is the worst, not because they have Jango ranked the lowest of all the services ( Mid 3 Star ) but because I feel they are motivated by their Camps. I feel if you don’t go to their Camps, I feel it hurts your rankings. They have to hype kids to hype their Camps. I suspect by the final ranking Jango will be a 4 Star on Scout and 247. He is an 88 on 247, which is the highest 3 Star you can be. He is ranked by Scout as the 2nd OLB in Florida. Who you commit to also effects your ranking. If you commit to a big school who sells lots of subscriptions, you give the writers more to write about. Jango has two more big offers we didn’t list, because we don’t list offers that aren’t committable like most recruits do. Many kids have offers that frankly aren’t offers, but it helps their rankings To us they aren’t offers, and thus we don’t list them for the school to use us to sell stories or cause other recruits to rush their commitment . A commit to OSU or Whisky is going to move up in the rankings more so than one to NU. I watched a 3 Star recruit committed to WVU switch his commitment to OSU and get moved to a 4 star the next day. Did he all of a sudden improve in a day ? I have seen people comment on my son being a 3 star, but I have watched him destroy 4 and 5 star recruits at camp and on the field. I am quite sure after his first three games starting for IMG Academy he wont be looked at by most the bigger schools as a 3 star. Most knew he was poorly utilized and Coached at Lebanon. I think we have a few players who will move up in rankings and will continue to be pursued by the high profile teams.

I feel most the MVP's of the Camps are picked before the event, so they can continue to hype the recruits who are being talked about by the fans and thus sell subscriptions. My son has never done a Rivals camp, an oddly they have him ranked the lowest of the services.. . Every service saw him at the Best of the Midwest his Sophomore year. He was written about by 247 and Scout , 247 put Jango on their All Best of the Midwest team. Nothing written about him by Rivals. The MVP was Nick Connor who was a year older and later committed to OSU. Jango had faster times in EVERY event. The times weren't even close. So why wouldn't Jango get the MVP. Because Jango was a nobody and wouldn't help sell subscriptions. I enclosed the article by 247 about the Best of the Midwest. Read about Nick Connor in the article and then read about Jango. Why aren't Nicks times listed too ? Star ratings are used by the recruiting sites to hype recruits and sell subscriptions.

http://247sports.com/Article/Best-Of-The-Midwest-Combine-All-Combine-Team-177906

Last edited:
Amen! You're absolutely right and that's why I've tried to take a step back from these boards. I love Lou, but the whole system is a skewed money making process. Their star rankings are such a a sham.

Reactions: zanycat
really interesting post. most of it is stuff i've heard about and/or already suspected, but you explained it in more detail than i've seen elsewhere. great insights. thanks for sharing

Amen! You're absolutely right and that's why I've tried to take a step back from these boards. I love Lou, but the whole system is a skewed money making process. Their star rankings are such a a sham.
Lou is a great guy, as are many of the people who do his job. It is a tough job. You have lots of pressure to produce. He has to deal with recruits, which can be challenging. This was not to put down anyone or any service, but just to give my spin of what I observed going through this process. I have many friends I have made through the various services and many people I respect and now consider friends. I wrote this because so many on here judge recruits by their Star rankings. The Coaches motivation to take a recruit is to win games. They don't care about rankings.

Reactions: zanycat
I wrote this because so many on here judge recruits by their Star rankings. The Coaches motivation to take a recruit is to win games. They don't care about rankings.

Many here (and other fan boards) may judge recruits by star rankings, but as you said nobody that matters (i.e., coaches) does this. I think a growing number of "the masses" of dimbulb fans are starting to get it, but it's not really important if they do.

The part of the star gazing that annoys me the most is when a highly ranked recruiting class turns out to be a bust (on the field), and it's ruled to be solely an X&O coaching or player development failure. The implication is that the original high recruiting class ranking was infallible. The other thing that bugs be is when coaches like Brett Bielema, Fitz or Kirk Ferenz put up some terrific seasons with classes from the bottom half of the recruiting rankings and those classes are instantaneously labelled "pesky over-achievers" as if, again, the original low recruiting ranking was infallible.

Taking this absurdity to new heights, I once saw a recruiting publication lament that Brett Bielema was a risky hire at Arkansas because he was a poor recruiter at Wisconsin. Keep in mind that he had just taken three talented Badger teams to three straight conference championships and Rose Bowls. He recruited all these players! The comment stemmed from the fact that his teams had middling conference recruiting rankings!

Several years ago I modeled all B1G teams' (Rivals) recruiting rankings over a nine year period versus their actual B1G win-loss percentage. I found a marginally positive correlation between them. However, when you removed Ohio State (highest rated players) and Indiana (lowest rated players) the correlation between win-losses and class recruiting rankings became negative. So congratulations, Rivals, you were able to determine scientifically that OSU's players are much better than Indiana's players, but were worse than random on the rest of the B1G!

I see time after time 4 star and even some slam dunk 5 star kids turn out to be mediocre (or worse) college football players. As it turn out, many of these players were never very promising to begin with, but some recruiting sight built them up to the point where they became certain to fail the moment they arrived on campus. I feel bad for them because the false expectations aren't fair.

Recruiting is very much art over science. Rivals (and others) tries to capture just the science component of it, and they're not very good even at that limited part of it. No doubt the biases you mention (i.e., camps, clicks, web traffic, etc.) are a part of it, but I think a bigger part of it is that they're not very good at it nor do they have any skin in the game if they're proven right or wrong later.

MrCat very much enjoyed and agree with your post. I think most recruits start believing their own hype. They get use to coaches kissing their butts during recruiting only to be surprised when they are getting their butts kicked when they show up on campus to start their Freshman year.

Reactions: MRCat95
MrCat very much enjoyed and agree with your post. I think most recruits start believing their own hype. They get use to coaches kissing their butts during recruiting only to be surprised when they are getting their butts kicked when they show up on campus to start their Freshman year.

CatsDad, FYI, MRCat95 actually started on ther famous 1995 NU football team, so his opinion actually carries a lot of weight..........

Reactions: CatsDad
CatsDad, FYI, MRCat95 actually started on ther famous 1995 NU football team, so his opinion actually carries a lot of weight..........

Hey....just because the dude was "All World", stuffing TSISB for no gains all day, doesn't mean you have to heap accolades all over him. There were other great players on that team. Besides...his feet smelled.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRCat95
<Why aren't Nicks times listed too ? Star ratings are used by the recruiting sites to hype recruits and sell subscriptions.>

Thank you for sharing your families experiences CatsDad. Your post opens up a window for the average fan. We are rooting for Jango to have a great career at NU!

I played D1 college hockey and when I played there were no such things as stars! People saw your stats which of course we're not on line, but on paper. They saw you play in person or in a tournament. Word of mouth from perhaps coaches or skating coaches etc. College athletics were just find then without all this garbage. All this has done is to give more people jobs by rating players and posting stars. It's really kind of laughable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT