ADVERTISEMENT

Can you explain the blocked shot foul rule?

Palindrome

Jun 19, 2001
At about 5 minutes left in the first half, Scottie partially blocked a 3 point attempt that was leaving, or about to leave, the shooter's hand and it ended up being a wounded duck. Foul was called. Looked as if the contact to the shooter's hand was after the ball had been blocked cleanly.

I don't know the rule. If the defender gets his hand on the ball first, is it still a foul?

Nothing definitive here because I haven't officiated a game in 8 years or so and never higher than NAIA. Haven't read a rulebook since then either, so would not pretend to be a current rules interpreter. Did work basketball games for 30 years previously.

A fundamental rules principle has always been that an airborne shooter can be fouled at any time until returning to the floor, with the result being a "shooting foul" and appropriate number of free throws. Quite often the shooter is fouled after the shot is released. Whether the shot is blocked has no relevance.

I should disclose that I didn't see the play you describe, but the general principle is what I've described.

Nothing definitive here because I haven't officiated a game in 8 years or so and never higher than NAIA. Haven't read a rulebook since then either, so would not pretend to be a current rules interpreter. Did work basketball games for 30 years previously.

A fundamental rules principle has always been that an airborne shooter can be fouled at any time until returning to the floor, with the result being a "shooting foul" and appropriate number of free throws. Quite often the shooter is fouled after the shot is released. Whether the shot is blocked has no relevance.

I should disclose that I didn't see the play you describe, but the general principle is what I've described.
But what about the old adage, the hand is part of the ball? Or is that just a myth?

Lindsay clearly blocked the ball and then kind of high-fived the shooter on the follow through.

The hand is only part of the ball WHEN it is on the ball.

As far as blocking the shot and then hitting the player afterwards, its an unwritten rule that if you get ball first, the shot is over and the rest is incidental contact. It was a bad call, ref just missed it.

There was a game last year, where Tim Duncan hit the ball and then hit Harden's arm on an attempt at a game winning the shot. The NBA ruled the contact was incidental since Duncan got the ball first, and it was the correct call.

As far as blocking the shot and then hitting the player afterwards, its an unwritten rule that if you get ball first, the shot is over and the rest is incidental contact. It was a bad call, ref just missed it.

There was a game last year, where Tim Duncan hit the ball and then hit Harden's arm on an attempt at a game winning the shot. The NBA ruled the contact was incidental since Duncan got the ball first, and it was the correct call.
Generally, every time I have seen such a call, it the player is hit on the follow through, it is called as a foul. That seemed to be the case.

I'm shocked!

I've noticed that college refs tend to make this call, while the NBA does not.

That makes sense to me. We should codify the unwritten rule as follows:

It is normal to expect incidental contact after and flowing directly from the act of blocking a shot. Contact with the shooter after a “clean block” (i.e., no illegal contact prior to or while deflecting the shot), is not a foul unless it is outside (over and above) the natural motion that is part of the follow-through of the shooter and defender.

Now, since that is understood, it would be good form for the Wolverines’ AD to propose to the Wildcats’ AD that the game be replayed in part beginning with a jump ball with the score and game clock reset to the point of this egregious injustice. Not doing so might result in UM winning the BigTen Tournament, then going to the Big Dance, and ultimately winning the National Championship. No Michigan fan could enjoy winning the Championship(s) with this dark cloud hanging over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT