ADVERTISEMENT

Chase Audige Summer League Thread

I see some Jimmy Butler in his game! Good for Chase

Pretty damn good debut for number….73? He shot well and put up 18 points in just 20 minutes. He seemed to be more animated than usual, too. He took some chances defensively, but really brought some energy. Quite a few familiar faces out there in that game for him, with Hood-Schifino, Jaquez and Christie.

Pretty damn good debut for number….73? He shot well and put up 18 points in just 20 minutes. He seemed to be more animated than usual, too. He took some chances defensively, but really brought some energy. Quite a few familiar faces out there in that game for him, with Hood-Schifino, Jaquez and Christie.
We are going to miss him A LOT!

Selfishly speaking, my only fear is that he’ll show out on summer league and get a 2-way from someone else before my Heat can keep him. (That said, a lot of other players are further along in their post-college development and those contracts go to guys who are nearly NBA-ready). But I think Chase realizes that Miami develops undrafted talent better than anyone else and his best chance to develop into an NBA player runs through Biscayne Blvd.

Having watched the game, I saw a Chase Audige who looked like a different player on offense. His shot was different. Quicker. Smoother. Much more accurate. He fired whenever he got the ball. Defensively good energy, disruptive.

It was interesting to see how out of sorts some guys looked, whereas most of the drafted or experienced players just went after it. Audige was closer to that group - Max Christie, Hood-Schifino, Jaquez, Jovic, etc.

Vincent and Strus are out in Miami. Less depth. Maybe the Lillard thing happens, way less depth and our dude makes the team. Would love to see it and be wrong about his immediate future as a pro.

Vincent and Strus are out in Miami. Less depth. Maybe the Lillard thing happens, way less depth and our dude makes the team. Would love to see it and be wrong about his immediate future as a pro.
Imagine if the coaching staff in Miami was able to identify a mechanical flaw in Chase's shooting stroke... and fix it. All of a sudden the Audige who scored 28 against DePaul is the guy who shows up every night...

• Wow
Reactions: EagerFan
Imagine if the coaching staff in Miami was able to identify a mechanical flaw in Chase's shooting stroke... and fix it. All of a sudden the Audige who scored 28 against DePaul is the guy who shows up every night...
Imagine if Chase was able to be more of a spot-up shooter and did not have to shoot off the dribble (because we didn’t have many players who could create their own shots).

Reactions: NTCAT and NUCat320

It'll be a late night for Game 2 of Audige's summer league stint, but it'll be nationally televised on ESPN. Time is in ET since it's the Heat's team account.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Imagine if Chase was able to be more of a spot-up shooter and did not have to shoot off the dribble (because we didn’t have many players who could create their own shots).
Wait, are you blaming Chase's poor shooting on his teammates?

Wait, are you blaming Chase's poor shooting on his teammates?
It's not blaming the teammates, but clearly Audige is being asked to do less than he was at NU and is benefitting from that here. Pretty sure you've routinely said that it would be better if Chase felt he had to do less or played fewer minutes for us. If he makes the Heat, he's not going to be the first or second option, and can fill his role well.

It's not blaming the teammates, but clearly Audige is being asked to do less than he was at NU and is benefitting from that here. Pretty sure you've routinely said that it would be better if Chase felt he had to do less or played fewer minutes for us. If he makes the Heat, he's not going to be the first or second option, and can fill his role well.
Let's all take a beat before analyzing this to death. It's also entirely plausible that Chase just had one of those games where he went off. We've certainly see him do that at NU. The question is whether he can be consistent. As one who thought he was our best player and that we will miss him terribly, I sure hope he can do it and find a place in the league someday.

Having watched the game, I saw a Chase Audige who looked like a different player on offense. His shot was different. Quicker. Smoother. Much more accurate. He fired whenever he got the ball. Defensively good energy, disruptive.

It was interesting to see how out of sorts some guys looked, whereas most of the drafted or experienced players just went after it. Audige was closer to that group - Max Christie, Hood-Schifino, Jaquez, Jovic, etc.
To be fair, that sounds a lot like our first three years of Chase. ;)

Its one game, but he looked like a new man, shooting the ball.
I do I think Chase wore himself out playing so many minutes at such a high energy level for NU.
But there's no way that would be the primary factor if all of a sudden he starts shooting 40%+ from the NBA's 3 point arc.

If he develops a consistent shot, it will be some combination of mental adjustments and improved technique.

Chase reminds me of dwade. Aren't they about the same height and body type?? Obviously dwade was very very good. If Chase can just make the team I'd be ecstatic for him. Hoping for the 👌 best

Let's all take a beat before analyzing this to death. It's also entirely plausible that Chase just had one of those games where he went off. We've certainly see him do that at NU. The question is whether he can be consistent. As one who thought he was our best player and that we will miss him terribly, I sure hope he can do it and find a place in the league someday.
What is not a fluke is the defense he played in this first game. Heat twitter feeds were in awe of the defensive game he played.

Its one game, but he looked like a new man, shooting the ball.
I do I think Chase wore himself out playing so many minutes at such a high energy level for NU.
But there's no way that would be the primary factor if all of a sudden he starts shooting 40%+ from the NBA's 3 point arc.

If he develops a consistent shot, it will be some combination of mental adjustments and improved technique.
Part of the problem may have been that the college 3 pointer was too close for him. He needed to take a couple steps back!

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320 and DaCat
Not quite the same in game 2. 0 points on 0 for 4 shooting with 2 assists. I saw the first half. He played for a few minutes and missed two pretty open threes. Both shots looked good coming out of his hand, but they both rimmed out. He does play intense defense though and seemed to be a real pest. However, was -10 in the +/- so that's a bummer!

• Sad
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
I watched it. Thought the obvious big take away is that he is not even in the single digit rotation. Ultimately 10 players had more minutes than him.

Hope that changes and he can somehow operate a miracle.

Still think he should have gone pro in Evanston.

Keegan Murray was giving me nightmares of two years ago. Why is he playing in summer league?!?

Not quite the same in game 2. 0 points on 0 for 4 shooting with 2 assists. I saw the first half. He played for a few minutes and missed two pretty open threes. Both shots looked good coming out of his hand, but they both rimmed out. He does play intense defense though and seemed to be a real pest. However, was -10 in the +/- so that's a bummer!
+/- isn't a huge barometer, especially in a game with a certified starter like Murray out there. It is summer league so they're trying to see what everyone has, and I think Chase will see more minutes in some of the Vegas games.

You saw the part I missed. He also drove into a big guy and got his 8 foot shot swatted casually. Later he drove to his right, above the free throw line and missed a jumper. He's wearing 73 and the tv guy was amused by some of the high numbers on the jerseys, basically implying that those guys had no chance of sticking around. For Chase, this game was a real dud.

I did enjoy the live box score on ESPN, updating the +/- in real time.

+/- isn't a huge barometer, especially in a game with a certified starter like Murray out there. It is summer league so they're trying to see what everyone has, and I think Chase will see more minutes in some of the Vegas games.
That was more just a little joke for PWB.

These summer league games have to be frustrating to play in. Everyone is trying to show off what they can do. There is very little practice time to develop any chemistry. I think the pro for Chase is that he is a terrific defender. However, I don't think he's a good enough ball handler to make things happen on offense which means he is totally reliant on his teammates setting him up for shots. And I doubt that will happen too consistently in the summer league.

9 minutes. Took one 3 pointer and missed it. 2 assists. 1 block. No turnovers. No rebounds. No steals.
I didn't watch this one... Things don't appear to be working out for Chase and the Heat. One very good game and then two duds, with a slash to his playing time.
He was -10 today, in 9 minutes. The Heat's squad won by 11.

Summer league is mostly to see who they want to invite to pre season camp. I think he still has a chance because he has a good attitude and is not a head ache. Plays great defense.

Summer league is mostly to see who they want to invite to pre season camp. I think he still has a chance because he has a good attitude and is not a head ache. Plays great defense.
Sure, its possible they saw enough from Chase in that first game to think "This guy is good, we don't need him to play more." I just don't think that is very likely.

He was at best going to be someone coming off the bench,,,you usually want a hot hand off the bench or a defensive stopper or energy provider...So maybe wanted to see him come off the bench....But they are going to see what they want to see in practice.

Reactions: ballerog711
Exactly. They have a lot of guys they need to evaluate and it's less that Chase fell out of favor and more that they may've seen what they wanted to see and want to give other guys a chance/don't want Chase to get invited elsewhere. That said, I think NU, Heat, and NU/Heat fans (the latter of which I'm a part) need to temper their expectations. Chase is probably spending a year or two in the G-League working on his shot, which is nowhere near NBA ready, and certainly not for what the Heat need from him at the moment (3 and D floor spacing for Bam).

Pete Nance is playing the summer league for the Cavs and has, IMO, a 10x better chance of getting a two way contract.

I really hope to be proven wrong about Chase. But I don't see it happening now.

3 and D, and often just the 3 part of that equation is a niche NBA roster spot that has like a million players vying for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT