ADVERTISEMENT

Does Siemian have upper hand on Paxton Lynch?

Katatonic

Oct 23, 2004
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000798494/article/does-siemian-have-upper-hand-on-paxton-lynch

Although coach Vance Joseph has preached an open competition between the incumbent starter and the 2016 first-round draft pick, Siemian remains the favorite to be under center in Week 1.

After speaking with Joseph, NFL Network's James Palmer told Omar Ruiz of Up to the Minute Live that Siemian has the "upper hand" entering the offseason program.

Siemian might have been widely viewed as a pet project of former coach Gary Kubiak, but the new coach has been impressed after taking an in-depth look at the 2016 game film.

Despite subpar pass protection and an inconsistent ground attack, the Broncos coaching staff believes "he played very well last season," Palmer added. "They believe he played at a higher level than many assume."

Joseph went a step further, maintaining that Siemian didn't get the credit he deserved in league circles.

The high praise didn't end there, either. Joseph also raved about Siemian's intelligence and intangibles.

"Players want to play for him," Joseph told Palmer. "They want to win for him."

Pretty much what I've been hearing all off-season; that once Joseph, McCoy and others got time to study the film, they liked Siemian more and more and were comfortable with the idea of Siemian as the starter.

Aside from the lack of protection up front and a running attack (which repeatedly couldn't convert on 3rd and 1 and had to resort to running the QB sneak - sound familar?), no real threats at the TE position and no true slot receiver which didn't help Siemian in the short, quick passing game.

In addiiton, word is that Siemian is excited about the new offensive scheme under McCoy (Siemian had started to get ready by studying past offenses run by and under McCoy), as are Broncos on the defense who think Siemian would really blossom upon being given more freedom from what they had seen in practice and in the 4th quarter of games (the Kubiak offense really limits what changes the QB can make at the LoS, basically having only 1 other option).

Also, actually think those around the league (the coaches anyway, maybe not so much the front office guys) really respect the heck out of Siemian.

Sean Payton had really nice things to say about Siemian and Kyle Shanahan spoke highly of Siemian during his interview with the Broncos (which led to talk of the 49ers being interested in acquiring Siemian if the Broncos got Romo).

And defensive coaches seem to think well of Siemian as well...

From ESPN's Legwold -

For Siemian, opposing defensive coaches have said he has the demeanor in the pocket that's tough to face because he makes quick decisions without being rushed in his reads. Those same coaches also have said his willingness to fit the ball in tight spaces and throw with anticipation gives him the look of a starter.

His biggest hurdle in the months to come is to know when to say when with the ball. In short, he takes too many hits and he often takes a risk or two with throws outside the numbers that he shouldn't.

http://www.espn.com/blog/denver-bro...season-workouts-qbs-know-what-they-need-to-do

Those surveyed echoed Joseph's thoughts. One of the defensive coordinators offered that if the Broncos had been able to give Siemian a cleaner pocket more often, he could have been a 4,000-yard passer. Siemian missed two starts with injuries and finished with 3,401 yards.

Where Siemian’s work is to be done, they said, was first physically -- that he simply must get stronger. Siemian had left (non-throwing) shoulder surgery in the days following the season, so he won't be able to begin his workouts until he is cleared medically.

Those surveyed also said his willingness to stand in, take a hit and still make a throw showed he keeps his eyes downfield and can work when there is traffic around him. But they added that he tends to hold the ball when stressed at times -- common among young quarterbacks who worry about the impact of mistakes on their playing status -- and takes too many unnecessary hits.

The defensive coaches noted that Siemian can be difficult to defend at his best, because he did show he could fit passes into tight spaces. But he also takes risks at times he shouldn’t with passes outside the numbers.

http://www.espn.com/blog/denver-bro...r-siemian-or-paxton-lynch-to-win-starting-job

And Joseph, as the new HC, has to take the pulse of the locker-room and Siemian's teammates love Trevor with the leaders on the defense leading the way (their issues with the struggle on the offensive side of the ball is with the areas other than QB).

Last edited:
Katatonic, I've enjoyed your posts on MHR, particularly where you tangle with one of the writers.

^ Thanks Glades.

My god - what an insufferable bunch who think they know more about playing the QB position than players (or former players) and coaches in the NFL, including those on the Broncos.

Btw, right back at ya - enjoyed your posts over on the other Ilini board.

There are Illini fans over there who poo-poo missing out on O'Rourke, Newsome, Blake, etc. b/c Lovie has his sights on higher rated national recruits. lol

I watched most of the Bronco games last season and wasn't impressed with Lynch. Yes, he does have better athletic skills, but he seems to me to be a prime example of a good college QB who just doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL QB. If the Broncos went to an all out college type spread offense he might do well until he got injured.

With Lynch drafted so high, Trevor will be treated like a red-headed stepchild until Lynch falls flat on his face while Trevor aces his exams. I think that day will come.

Most Broncos fans (about 75% based on polls) realize already that Siemian is the better QB and leader, and understand he played behind a poor OL, had no run support, and was badly injured most of the season. Then there are the guys who are impressed with Lynch's height, slightly better speed (though he's awkward), and his 20-yard, slightly off target darts. The morons claim Siemian has a low ceiling and they haven't seen anything special out of Trevor. I have no idea what game they were watching when Denver played Kansas City (on Sunday Night Football) and Cincinnati (AFC POTW).

With Lynch drafted so high, Trevor will be treated like a red-headed stepchild until Lynch falls flat on his face while Trevor aces his exams. I think that day will come.
Also, it sounds like the new system requires more quick decision making on the part of the quarterback which generally favors the more experienced QB.

I hope so, I really enjoyed following the Broncos last year. I've kind of lose interest in Pro Football lately.
+1

Although as a Titans fan, I am getting a glimmer of interest. I am hoping the Titans mini-dark ages are over.

Also, it sounds like the new system requires more quick decision making on the part of the quarterback which generally favors the more experienced QB.

McCoy's system allows for a far greater variety of options when audibilizing at the LoS; Kubiak's system was limited to one other option.

Contrary to what a lot of commentators (those who didn't strap it on) have been saying, this is right up Siemian's alley.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT