ADVERTISEMENT

End of the Prime mystique

Sorry you didn’t like my phrasing?

1-11(1-8) to 4-8(1-8) is “ok, cool, good job.” Going from 1-11(1-8) to 8-5(5-4) is “holy shit, that’s incredible,” especially considering that Colorado’s drama was entirely self-created by Prime and NU’s was decidedly not created by Braun. Then layer in minimal roster turnover at NU vs. a complete overhaul at Colorado… yeah, I don’t think Prime did a great job at Colorado, especially as compared to Braun at NU.
“Okay cool good job” is what I’m saying. Are others saying good job? And Braun certainly did a better job than Sanders, especially given the circumstances. But Colorado wasn’t “drama”, and not akin to anything like the drama at NU. It was a notable coach coming to an awful program who boldly (and correctly) said he’d make massive changes to bring respect back to the program. Of course there was attention.

Which games do you think we win playing Colorado’s schedule? Be honest.

“Okay cool good job” is what I’m saying. Are others saying good job? And Braun certainly did a better job than Sanders, especially given the circumstances. But Colorado wasn’t “drama”, and not akin to anything like the drama at NU. It was a notable coach coming to an awful program who boldly (and correctly) said he’d make massive changes to bring respect back to the program. Of course there was attention.

Which games do you think we win playing Colorado’s schedule? Be honest.

Last year’s Colorado schedule you mean?

My guesses would be:

TCU - L
Nebraska - W
CSU - W
Oregon - L
USC - L
ASU - W
Stanford - W
UCLA - L
Oregon State - L
Arizona - L
Washington State - W
Utah - W

So by my count 6-6(4-5). Braun’s NU team improved over the course of the season, Prime’s Colorado team got worse.

Given that it took Braun a few games to settle into this head coaching thing, and also the injury to Bryant, it’s an exercise in futility.

Reactions: No Chores
Last year’s Colorado schedule you mean?

My guesses would be:

TCU - L
Nebraska - W
CSU - W
Oregon - L
USC - L
ASU - W
Stanford - W
UCLA - L
Oregon State - L
Arizona - L
Washington State - W
Utah - W

So by my count 6-6(4-5). Braun’s NU team improved over the course of the season, Prime’s Colorado team got worse.
We’re beating a Nebraska team we actually lost to and beating full strength Utah in SLC? Ok.

What if I told you that all of their best players would be playing and that it would be played in Utah?
Bowl game in Vegas was close to being a Utah home game. Were u there? It seemed 4 to 1 u to nu fans. Couple hours drive for them. A lot of our best players didn't play as well

We’re beating a Nebraska team we actually lost to and beating full strength Utah in SLC? Ok.

You asked a subjective question and didn’t like my answer… ok?

Nebraska was just not good last year. I think we could’ve beaten them pretty easily with a healthy Bryant.

And how do you use the “we actually lost to” argument for Nebraska but not the “we actually beat” vs Utah?

What if I told you that all of their best players would be playing and that it would be played in Utah?

That would have been incorrect, because Utah started Bottari at QB against Colorado and still won. Utah basically just beat up Colorado on the ground, which never really worked against NU last season after Duke.

Reactions: epicbret and DaCat
That would have been incorrect, because Utah started Bottari at QB against Colorado and still won. Utah basically just beat up Colorado on the ground, which never really worked against NU last season after Duke.
It wasn’t only QB. Utah didn’t play their starting safeties or one of their starting corners NU, among others. But ok.

You asked a subjective question and didn’t like my answer… ok?

Nebraska was just not good last year. I think we could’ve beaten them pretty easily with a healthy Bryant.

And how do you use the “we actually lost to” argument for Nebraska but not the “we actually beat” vs Utah?
That’s why I said ok. You think we would have gone 6-6. I think 4 or 5 wins. They didn’t have Sanders for Utah either so that goes both ways.

Colorado went 1-8 in conference. I think NU could have done better. Enough already.
They did. But you also can’t say “in conference” as a blanket statement without considering the teams, especially since they beat a big ten team we lost to. Who do they beat on our schedule? If you spot them UTEP, Howard, and Nebraska, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say they can’t beat 2 on the rest of our schedule and get another win vs their existing schedule.

But all of this is message board fun. We will
see what happens next season.

They did. But you also can’t say “in conference” as a blanket statement without considering the teams, especially since they beat a big ten team we lost to. Who do they beat on our schedule? If you spot them UTEP, Howard, and Nebraska, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say they can’t beat 2 on the rest of our schedule and get another win vs their existing schedule.

But all of this is message board fun. We will
see what happens next season.

They’ll be good next season. The issue is the following season. What are the odds Sanders returns after his sons and Hunter graduate? Care to make a wager on that?

Even on the Northwestern message board - in May - the Coach Prime topic has five pages of comments...

Even on the Northwestern message board - in May - the Coach Prime topic has five pages of comments...
To me (and apparently others) prime represents an interesting test case. He has all but abandoned HS recruiting and has reshaped the roster for the second year in a row with transfers. If it works, we will see more coaches going this route. I don’t think it will, but time will tell.

Reactions: cattul
To me (and apparently others) prime represents an interesting test case. He has all but abandoned HS recruiting and has reshaped the roster for the second year in a row with transfers. If it works, we will see more coaches going this route. I don’t think it will, but time will tell.
Mel Tucker did this for a year at Michigan State. And then some other things happened.

Reactions: NUCat320
Nothing else happening.
* We're down a QB. If we were an SEC school there would be a daily forensic examination of the Portal.
* We have basically an all new coaching staff and will be installing a new offense.
* The thing about the stadium.
* The school hasn't invited me to buy any season tickets yet.
* Athletic director something something.

Reactions: NUCat320
It wasn’t only QB. Utah didn’t play their starting safeties or one of their starting corners NU, among others. But ok.
I say that we win Iowa (Sullivan blew a wide open TD at the goal line) and Nebraska with Bryant.

Vs Utah, we were missing our best player (Coco) and you saw how our D did almost immediately after he went down, v 2nd half Wisc, PU and ILL. So, yeah, their other QB may have helped, but Coco would have offset some of that.

Vs Colorado, I see us winning a 2023 match up. They might have scored some, but we had good D and kicking, and their defense was poopoo

* We're down a QB. If we were an SEC school there would be a daily forensic examination of the Portal.
* We have basically an all new coaching staff and will be installing a new offense.
* The thing about the stadium.
* The school hasn't invited me to buy any season tickets yet.
* Athletic director something something.
Pretty sure there are threads on all these topics. Feel free to post on those threads and share your pearls of wisdom.

Pretty sure there are threads on all these topics. Feel free to post on those threads and share your pearls of wisdom.

Ditto. When I say "nothing else happening" that pretty much reflects the interest level right now - for whatever reason.

If anyone walks by the stadium, please snap a photo and let everyone know what is happening with the pressbox.

This attitude bothers me. Even though some/all of these kids are getting paid now, they are not adults. They are 18,19,20 year old kids who are still developing mentally and emotionally. Treating them like professional free agents is not helping these kids grow and learn and become solid adults.
The portal and NIL developments made them every bit of a professional free agent.

It's all there for the taking. Those who partake have nobody to blame but themselves if they end up getting the short end of the stick.

Yep. Life as a paid player with nearly unfettered freedom to play for up to 4-5 teams/schools in 4-5 years can really suck at times. And the minority of us who screamed it was all bad, but for a few, were shouted down by the know it alls.

GOUNUII

Reactions: WaveJumper
The portal and NIL developments made them every bit of a professional free agent.

It's all there for the taking. Those who partake have nobody to blame but themselves if they end up getting the short end of the stick.

Yep. Life as a paid player with nearly unfettered freedom to play for up to 4-5 teams/schools in 4-5 years can really suck at times. And the minority of us who screamed it was all bad, but for a few, were shouted down by the know it alls.

GOUNUII
I don’t get the argument that 18 year olds shouldn’t be paid or have choices of where they play and how much they make.

18 year olds who don’t go to college become literal professionals in the workforce. They pay their bills and rent like anyone else. Our military actively recruits high schoolers to join when they turn 18 and offers financial incentives and the promise of good careers.

They’re adults!

GOUNUII
I guess I don't remember the exact discussion you were talking about. There were a lot of opinions on here about this issue. I think I fell into a camp with probably a few others that the athletes deserved something, but I never would have been in favor of this wild wild west nonsense that is going on now. I was one who thought that athletes should have gotten a reasonable stipend. Our grad students get stipends and scholarships for their efforts in helping to bring in millions of dollars in grants. I think it's fair to say that football players at DI schools bring in even more so their stipends could have been bigger, but I envisioned a system where it was much more regulated. Also, if I buy an NU basketball jersey with the number 0 on it, it's obvious I am doing that because of Boo, so he should clearly make a cut. That's where I stood. But what we have now is absurd.

Reactions: Catreporter

GOUNUII
You seem to hate a system where players have freedom of movement and
Can work for the highest bidder (or the best situation for the player). You mean, capitalism?

You seem to hate a system where players have freedom of movement and
Can work for the highest bidder (or the best situation for the player). You mean, capitalism?
In the well known style of GCG 03" a simple "No" seems appropriate in response to your missive.

GOUNUII

Reactions: gocatsgo2003
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT