ADVERTISEMENT

Final game observations

Hurley is very obviously a laugh over-intense psycho.

He’s a psycho, his teams play like they’re coached by a psycho. They have no mercy whatsoever, no detail is too small, every play is an opportunity for further domination and perfection.

Really well put, AOF. Just as you put earlier, something to the effect that his players got better as the tournament went on, raised their game FAR higher than any other team did.... and they were freakin almost impossible to beat already. Its ridiculous.

The only team I can think of in the recent past that even resembled that level of superiority was the Larry Johnson/Stacey Augmon UNLV teams.... until they ran into Puke in the final of their second run. They were not just dominant, but crazy talented and really fun to watch, and not in a UConn psycho way (except for asshole Greg Anthony). Just in being holy bleep more talented, fast and better than everyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
Agreed. Smith has shown in the last two games just how mediocre he is individually.

I was also entertained watching UConn's little guys alley oop and dunk past Edey multiple times.

I admit I hadn't realized until the NC State game that Edey can't go left. What a massive failure in player development. He was also pretty ineffectual defending most of the game.
I think it’s weird that the reaction to last night, when Smith was the only non-Edey player on Purdue who could do literally jack shit, is people doubling down even further on the idea that Smith isn’t just overrated but actually not very good. He’s good! UConn completely shut down and crushed the soul of both Boo Buie and Terrance Shannon. Sears had a big game against them, probably the one guy to do so. Smith didn’t have an amazing game, but he was very clearly the second best on Purdue and the only non-Edey player who was any match for the Huskies.

I get we’re all upset over the national award thing and the first team all big ten but let’s calm down a bit here.

Agreed. Smith has shown in the last two games just how mediocre he is individually.

I was also entertained watching UConn's little guys alley oop and dunk past Edey multiple times.

I admit I hadn't realized until the NC State game that Edey can't go left. What a massive failure in player development. He was also pretty ineffectual defending most of the game.
He was hardly a basketball player when he arrived. Still room to grow.

(That said, as impressive as some of his offensive post game is, anybody drafting him in the first round is going to be sorely disappointed.)

I think it’s weird that the reaction to last night, when Smith was the only non-Edey player on Purdue who could do literally jack shit, is people doubling down even further on the idea that Smith isn’t just overrated but actually not very good. He’s good! UConn completely shut down and crushed the soul of both Boo Buie and Terrance Shannon. Sears had a big game against them, probably the one guy to do so. Smith didn’t have an amazing game, but he was very clearly the second best on Purdue and the only non-Edey player who was any match for the Huskies.

I get we’re all upset over the national award thing and the first team all big ten but let’s calm down a bit here.
Mediocre is better than not good.

UConn shut down Boo with double and triple teams. Tennessee, NC State, and UConn shut down Smith with whoever happened to be guarding him in the moment. He was still able to feed Edey enough to have decent stat lines tho.

Reactions: NJCat
Hurley is very obviously a laugh over-intense psycho.

If he were, like, a sales manager that would be a problem. Instead, he’s a basketball coach and that quality has made him a borderline all time great. He’s a psycho, his teams play like they’re coached by a psycho. They have no mercy whatsoever, no detail is too small, every play is an opportunity for further domination and perfection.

It’s not Phil Jackson zen triangle. It’s not Bellichick everybody stop worrying and do your job and attend to every detail. It’s not Shaka Smart let’s run and have a ton of fun and cause madness and confusion and laugh to the victory circle. It’s complete psycho insanity. And it’s working
AP1GczMLMkoSs-eKmCdGkNJ7EOQ5CK_g7PBGcd10vBcNAhE57xKiWpXNvQSuf32XEJzj43FEk3EIsEFxjiuszGOBGG39oQopma8vW_P3i2t0HWv0cGwmmAa7AgeFGnRcdO0Pg5rB4mXRm2vMjvFXl600b1w_Axdr7vi7HD6SnMXIVnhUUAcjF2amgVrJ-5K7TaM8I6xnBNMArp2mhAJHo7AeYl2fFpbJWbP1J63vwo2Y2PA9UsVsn8PhvMm0BDOzxMv5ZrJDfdFK7SICIg0kkW-rBQbf8078nbWXfiE71qqTBvzn3ONDyg6_QeZdyF0as0tQoZFzYLsx0kElo04nOB_U1QlaanUelGpkAC9cT4ZoijCwsulwGY_ZiXOlNh1TmsEww7mUeOwIu45TzRhBRFKjRp1Bn5l7B6zPl4UVGY_uih89HqaRGZnzxJdcAa0UoJPOA9sOAYULW75cUOe-VPOBFlS7Lvey-U-4DQMvyMCUMOoJka9C4cEkdIHXbWLyRboRmzsZf7wDT93wZPM8muy4AgJzOMgm6pvIcRTbFqN5k9Tc3P9ViZYRET7ETEWvpXX0RAcU50zyCJRGxfL2yiYGOh5rhsN3tlZ6ZKz9KViNMVjSVxy_RAMK6NJbwIxAKDrbhLab7Tlv7CJy-Tjg4ExVSKu3p3Zdld5yhb5hKIRYeY5W0FUnLa6LWV22824eZpaNWz1e_Yj4ROxAExoeq-mI8MGEwOjtp3gwUuttxVJhnVWTAGVuc0lcanSxpwrVsVO971IwTasure9hPLIxlZhTak-0x3-RP0o1G3HXcaZyUHwyaAyTUZwNMoErARtSj7lWbNPzjmjx04eqquHXaOAv0nh8r3OxkWdo-nzOI8HDEtAoF9cwR_DiTwq7a-2wrC25mmrCBuf0xoVQV0Nxu2-3CsSAcB4nwROol9FxTdmmUOki7OWVotAxIHgEZ5u1i9yHmfvTCvAFZeMWXoA2KragJlLNNNospOY=w325-h209-s-no

Reactions: mountaindrew

UConn shut down Boo with double and triple teams. Tennessee, NC State, and UConn shut down Smith with whoever happened to be guarding him in the moment. He was still able to feed Edey enough to have decent stat lines tho.
Smith was never doubled. He could not create on his own. He took several bad shots because he could not create. They sent Edey high several times in the second half so he could shake his guy. It was a thoroughly meh performance.

I concur. Smith benefited so much from having the NPOY on the court with him. If he’s the #1 option for Purdue, UConn would have taken him completely out of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT