ADVERTISEMENT

First-half thread for NU-UNLV

Our D looks very weak in every phase right now. Time to find their game. We normally don’t give up explosion plays...that was finally a good stop there! I hope Hank says something to them at the half that wakes them up!!

Yep.... that's targeting. He led with the crown right into Skrowneck's head.

So far Anderson has made a huge contribution to the OL, with three drive killing offensive line penalties in last 2.5 quarters of football.
That penalty on the TD was questionable and was something that Duke did to us repeatedly in the past without getting called. Fitz complained about it pretty loudly, and now it's called on us as soon as we start running the RPO. :eek:

I think the 15 yd penalty is fine on these targeting calls, but the ejection thing is ridiculous.

Reactions: nugnrfan82
That penalty on the TD was questionable and was something that Duke did to us repeatedly in the past without getting called. Fitz complained about it pretty loudly, and now it's called on us as soon as we start running the RPO. :eek:

Great points. It’s all so unfair.
:rolleyes:

We need better athletes on both sides, but particularly on offense. We need athletes who can get into the endzone on big plays or get separation in the redzone when the field shrinks. For some reason, the few guys we have on offense with speed don't seem to see the field much. Where is JJ? Where is Moten? For crying out loud, Moten had the most exciting offensive play we've had in a while on that long TD run against OSU. But now he can't see the field, even with Bowser out. I just don't understand.

Reactions: julescat
Hey Corbi - I’ve read your posts for years and know you follow the team very closely - any idea on who could potentially plug the gap such that the backers (as a team) can scrape/flow to the ball better?

I know the contain from the DB’s is not ideal, and the tackling - oooof. But it’s alarming that the backers can’t get to the outside - both Gallagher and Bergin are getting blocked fairly easily.

You do realize Bergen is a LB and Ruiz is a CB?

We need better athletes on both sides, but particularly on offense. We need athletes who can get into the endzone on big plays or get separation in the redzone when the field shrinks. For some reason, the few guys we have on offense with speed don't seem to see the field much. Where is JJ? Where is Moten? For crying out loud, Moten had the most exciting offensive play we've had in a while on that long TD run against OSU. But now he can't see the field, even with Bowser out. I just don't understand.

Moten has ZERO vision. He has great straight line speed but that only has limited use in an actual offense.

Now we call timeout. We could have had about 30 more seconds.

I think the 15 yd penalty is fine on these targeting calls, but the ejection thing is ridiculous.
It is the thing that puts teeth in the penalty for the one thing that most threatens the future of football. We as fans have to stop vilifying the players who get called. They could make it a 30 minute suspension, I suppose.

Hey Corbi - I’ve read your posts for years and know you follow the team very closely - any idea on who could potentially plug the gap such that the backers (as a team) can scrape/flow to the ball better?

I know the contain from the DB’s is not ideal, and the tackling - oooof. But it’s alarming that the backers can’t get to the outside - both Gallagher and Bergin are getting blocked fairly easily.

I see the same thing you are seeing. We miss Hall. Jaylen Rivers would be my pick if they decide they need Someone who plays better in space.

But I’ve read we get good players.

It is the thing that puts teeth in the penalty for the one thing that most threatens the future of football. We as fans have to stop vilifying the players who get called. They could make it a 30 minute suspension, I suppose.
But it seems to me that many targeting calls, including this one today, are not from a player intentionally trying to hit a guy in the head. Its because the offensive player changes position as the defender goes to tackle. I am ok with still calling that a penalty, but it seems crazy to suspend a kid for a whole game for an unintentional play in this very fast, bang-bang sport.

And Jesse Brown is out for rest of the game

Ugh. Really hate to hear that. He was looking great.

While I assume we will have Bowser back soon, and DA3 plays the “change of pace” role better, still feel for Brown. Can’t shake the injury bug.

But it seems to me that many targeting calls, including this one today, are not from a player intentionally trying to hit a guy in the head. Its because the offensive player changes position as the defender goes to tackle. I am ok with still calling that a penalty, but it seems crazy to suspend a kid for a whole game for an unintentional play in this very fast, bang-bang sport.

It does not matter. They are trying to change habits and behaviors on the field, whether intentional or not. Defensive players have to stop lowering their head and leading with their helmets. It’s Dangerous for them and the players they are hitting. The only way to do that is to kick them out of games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT