ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz on OL

We'll see how they look at the beginning of next season.
Does it make sense to you to run the experiment that NU ran for the first 5 games of the season?

If the Cats start anyone but Hance at LT, Butler at LG, Doles at RG and Slater at RT in West Lafayette next year, I will be shocked and dismayed.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Does it make sense to you to run the experiment that NU ran for the first 5 games of the season?

If the Cats start anyone but Hance at LT, Butler at LG, Doles at RG and Slater at RT in West Lafayette next year, I will be shocked and dismayed.

I have seen that approach applied successfully on other teams.

The in season improvement that you note is also part of the clear multi year pattern that has manifested itself. Last year's OL also improved significantly after starting out the year at illinois State looking like they could not block a pee wee league DL. Despite returning 4 of the starting OL that showed improved play during last season, the unit came back this year and once again started the year playing horrible. That's not just my opinion, FItz acknowledged the same himself. Why did the same four players who improved meaningfully during in season play last year, regress so much during the off season to start the season playing as poorly as they did? Why didn't the all the offseason work that they put in reinforce the habits and techniques that caused their play to improve during the previous season? The answer is pretty obvious to me.
I recall it during the last couple years but not before that. Before it just seemed to underperform all year long.

I didn't, but I'll check it out. Thanks.

However, I'm assuming that deception impacts all positions on the offense. I can't imagine it would only impact the OL, so I will stand by my assertion that the OL didn't lose that game by itself. I can see how complex packages and deception could make things tough on the OL and QB. The line looked confused, Thorson made some awful decisions and the playcalling left a lot to be desired. That sounds like shared responsibility to me.
It is an education. Confirmed some things I thought after rewatching that game. And again, a lot of teams have had problems with their rush.

I have seen that approach applied successfully on other teams.

So the approach we tried but didn’t work has worked for other teams, yet you don’t think we should try it because it didn’t work for us but it could again because it’s worked for other teams? Do I have that right?

So the approach we tried but didn’t work has worked for other teams, yet you don’t think we should try it because it didn’t work for us but it could again because it’s worked for other teams? Do I have that right?

I never said they shouldn't try it. My beef with how the OL has been handled never focused on the open competition and position switches they tried earlier this year. It obviously didn't work but at least they were trying to shake things up. I am pretty sure we would have had issues at the beginning of the year regardless.

I think the position switching and open competition was key in identifying Slater’s ability. I only wish it would have been completed prior to the B1G season starting.

I think the position switching and open competition was key in identifying Slater’s ability. I only wish it would have been completed prior to the B1G season starting.
Perhaps. But the RT position was open due to graduation REGARDLESS of the other experiments. He and Vogel vied for Eric Olson's spot and split reps early in the season.

ALERT - This post was edited by a moderator who sort of has kind of like a nervous spasm whenever he sees or hears someone use the word “Irregardless “.

Last edited:
We also dominated a Minny D-line that is far better than Illinois. And, if a great offensive line was a recipe for sure-fire success, one would have suspect that Nebby would have had a better season, considering their OLine was one of the top rated (if not THE top rated) coming into the BIG this season.

I stated on another thread and will assert here - let's pass final judgement based on the bowl game. In theory, we will play a similar team in ranking. If the various eye-twitching positions (OL, WR & QB), pull their weight, then I will happily stand up, announce I was wrong and support Cushing and Springer til death. But, mike, stream and the rest of you pollyannas, if the OL fails, the WRs forgot how to run, CT throws at rating rating lower than the temperature - then you will all agree to cast aside your excuses and acknowledge that even teams with winning records can benefit from change and ,in the NU case, that means excising some coaches. What say you? Deal?

I stated on another thread and will assert here - let's pass final judgement based on the bowl game. In theory, we will play a similar team in ranking. If the various eye-twitching positions (OL, WR & QB), pull their weight, then I will happily stand up, announce I was wrong and support Cushing and Springer til death. But, mike, stream and the rest of you pollyannas, if the OL fails, the WRs forgot how to run, CT throws at rating rating lower than the temperature - then you will all agree to cast aside your excuses and acknowledge that even teams with winning records can benefit from change and ,in the NU case, that means excising some coaches. What say you? Deal?
I can't quite read what you wrote with my purple-colored sunglasses.

It's probably the purple koolaid. Irregardless, you should simply agree.
The Purple Koolaid Acid Test. I don't recall defending the coaches. Who knows, though, I might have. Nevertheless, I agree to your terms. Just remind me, I'm an old guy with bad short-term memory.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I never said they shouldn't try it. My beef with how the OL has been handled never focused on the open competition and position switches they tried earlier this year. It obviously didn't work but at least they were trying to shake things up. I am pretty sure we would have had issues at the beginning of the year regardless.

I don't care how they do it. My beef is that in all his years as our OL coach, we've fielded generally poor OL, with a ceiling of mediocre. One All-B1G 2nd team OL and no one else. No one drafted into NFL. It's a far cry from pretty much every OL coach's record that I recall since being at NU, dating back to even the dark ages (I remember Darryll Ashmore).

Reactions: IGNORE2
WAS is tech ween? You're on a message board for friggin Northwestern Athletics. You still ARE a tech ween (as are the res (sic) of us).

Not necessarily true. One has to earn the moniker Tech Ween, by majoring in a discipline that was taught in the hallowed halls of the Technological Institute, now called the McCormick School of Engineering.

Not necessarily true. One has to earn the moniker Tech Ween, by majoring in a discipline that was taught in the hallowed halls of the Technological Institute, now called the McCormick School of Engineering.

Now THAT is a true Tech Ween response. :cool::cool:

Reactions: DaCat
Our ol recruits are probably ranked #80th best ol. They have seemed to overperform against poor teams. Im hoping we dont look awful where people feel sorry for us like we dont belong, as what happened everytime we played a stout line over the last few years, from tennessee to PSU.

It was a goofy brain fart of a really great, defensively minded, head coach. Possibly cost NU the West Championship.

This would be a really interesting post if the one I responded to said,

"I would love to hear an explanation from Deeringfish for why they played OL 'musical chairs' at the start of the season and in preseason, and why we've had trouble producing all-B1G OL"

It didn't. ;)

It was a goofy brain fart of a really great, defensively minded, head coach. Possibly cost NU the West Championship.

But you don't know any of the circumstances behind the decision and why he made it. But that's never stopped anyone from recommending that someone be fired here.

Reactions: StreamCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT