ADVERTISEMENT

Football Ticket Information

Can someone who is smarter than me explain the difference between having the ticket one price but also requiring a per-ticket contribution? Is the contribution tax-deductible?

Required contributions are not “shareable revenue” per B10 bylaws. Northwestern (and other schools) keep what they earn. It’s my understanding that the tax changes of 6-7 years ago ended the benefit of personal claims as charitable donations.

However, if any tickets become available as single tickets, the required donation may be distributed for that seat’s individual fans ticket cost, For instance, the east sideline is $110 per game ($450 season) with a $100 donation. If that ticket ever comes to market as a single game (not part of a season ticket), the cost may be $130 to purchase.

That being said, I don’t think Northwesterm will ever sell single tickets directly to the public. They are more likely to get them to the public via StubHub/SeatGeek services where they can both manipulate the price and earn kickbacks on “fees”

Finally received an email with a link to ticket information. No mention of capacity but there is a basic seating diagram with prices and, of course, “contribution” as with basketball.
Here we go. My game tix last year were $52.50 each. Same location this year is $112 including donation. I thought we would at least get two years before the new pricing scheme kicks in.

That was my feeling as well. I am not one of these rich NU fans, I am just a simple country lawyer. Honestly, affordability is a large factor in why I buy season tickets. I have to travel about 3 hours to get to a game. If I can't make it, I am happy to give away my tickets (although sometimes nobody wants them). That was always fine because it wasn't a huge amount. Although, as they start to increase prices, it will factor into my decision to buy season tickets. My wife has been an advocate of just buying single games, but I have resisted.

I guess this year will be fine because if I can't make it, I can probably sell them at what they cost (hopefully). However, I do wonder what it will be like when the new stadium is built and they are having a bad year or three.

Last edited:
If you assume the $399 package (cheapest, with no mandatory "contribution") and $100 for each Wrigley game, STH package just went up to $600 per seat before parking or anything else.

I think that's around a 50% increase for less favorable seats/sight lines. I worry my STH friends (who are not NU alums) will just walk away.

I know many people will see all this and say/ask, "well, what did you expect?" I think this is a problem when I believe many people are drawn to NU for the value that the gameday experience has historically offered. Once the new stadium arrives, I don't think there is a market strong enough for season ticket packages that average $800+ out the door, but once they learn this, the damage will already be done.

If you assume the $399 package (cheapest, with no mandatory "contribution") and $100 for each Wrigley game, STH package just went up to $600 per seat before parking or anything else.

I think that's around a 50% increase for less favorable seats/sight lines. I worry my STH friends (who are not NU alums) will just walk away.

I know many people will see all this and say/ask, "well, what did you expect?" I think this is a problem when I believe many people are drawn to NU for the value that the gameday experience has historically offered. Once the new stadium arrives, I don't think there is a market strong enough for season ticket packages that average $800+ out the door, but once they learn this, the damage will already be done.
Also note the north end zone must also be the student and visiting fan section. So there are fewer of those tickets available than it may appear.

I got some push back on this board at my assertion that NU will expect a four figure donation per ticket in the new stadium. It looks to me that the majority of ticket in this temporary stadium require a $750 donation.

I'm also disappointed about the significant price increase. I went from being excited about having most of the games in Evanston to wondering if it's worth it to get tickets. And if I can't get tickets at the cheapest level then I'm really going to be on the fence.

As far as future ticket pricing goes, I have to think some of this year's increase is due to the lack of supply. Maybe they think they can find 12k people to pay these prices, but there's no way they think 35k are going to do it.

My wife got home and I explained the price increase. She is pushing hard for me not to buy season tickets this year. Her words were, "Who do these people think they are?" I explained that it will be a unique experience next to the lake. Her response was, "I think you're only person who thinks that is the greatest thing since sliced bread." LOL

She might be right. The novelty may wear off quickly.

Last edited:
Can someone who is smarter than me explain the difference between having the ticket one price but also requiring a per-ticket contribution? Is the contribution tax-deductible?
Not if it is required as part of obtaining the seat. By contrast donations for access to parking would be tax deductible

Here we go. My game tix last year were $52.50 each. Same location this year is $112 including donation. I thought we would at least get two years before the new pricing scheme kicks in.
For many it is even worse. For example a simple sideline seat on West side is about $850 for 5 games ($170 per game) but that is for 4 low attendance games (3 OOC and Indiana) But Premeir sideline (presumably around 50 where my tickets have been (would be $600 plus $750 donation) $1350 or $270 per game but again cost is that is for 4 low attendance games plus one premier game. And you still have to get tickets for two more games elsewhere and still have not taken care of parking

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

Yep here we go but I hope all those who supported the new stadium are happy. Congratulations on your tripe prices for tickets. This is exactly what I said would happen, How could this NOT happen? While we were not quite selling out we were for the big games.

But of course, heaven forbid some OSU or Wisconsin fans show up and provide some fun. Maybe even cause some local mischief, but (That s what Football Phill is for LOL)

I am really angry about this, and not just because I am a NU fan. I would have the same anger if the Waa-MU show was moved to a facility 50% smaller.

Why cut the capacity, our season ticket average has been way way north of 30,000 for years? We are becoming a bigger football program. No we are still a decade away from being Notre Dame or even a mid tier team like Minnesota but we should strive the that - We should have INCREASED stadium capacity.

Oh well, what is done is done. Enjoy the new ticket prices. A Northwestern game used to an affordable day out. Now, nope. "Chicago's Big Ten team" LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: CMcCat
Is anyone interested in sharing this year?

I only care about the Indiana game.

I’d only get two.

Either the no contribution or the $100. So nothing fancy.

I thought we would at least get two years before the new pricing scheme kicks in.

The “required donation” is what keeps the season ticket price from being the cost of the Wisconsin game alone.

Speaking of the Badgers, does anyone know a Badger fan/STH? They would have requested away game tickets weeks ago, Anyone know what the single ticket cost was for the visiting section for UW/NU was?

Yep here we go but I hope all those who supported the new stadium are happy. Congratulations on your tripe prices for tickets. This is exactly what I said would happen, How could this NOT happen? While we were not quite selling out we were for the big games.

But of course, heaven forbid some OSU or Wisconsin fans show up and provide some fun. Maybe even cause some local mischief, but (That s what Football Phill is for LOL)

I am really angry about this, and not just because I am a NU fan. I would have the same anger if the Waa-MU show was moved to a facility 50% smaller.

Why cut the capacity, our season ticket average has been way way north of 30,000 for years? We are becoming a bigger football program. No we are still a decade away from being Notre Dame or even a mid tier team like Minnesota but we should strive the that - We should have INCREASED stadium capacity.

Oh well, what is done is done. Enjoy the new ticket prices. A Northwestern game used to an affordable day out. Now, nope. "Chicago's Big Ten team" LOL.
Honestly the reduction in size is somewhat understandable. once the decision was made to redo the stadium. As we have seen for the BB arena, there is something to be said for the more intimate experience. In addition, the fan base is aging and less of the current student body seems interested in going and there are alternatives that did not use to exist. The fact is that with 85 inch screens plus other improvements in broadcast games, it gets harder to justify going to games for many and we already have a small enough fan base. . (throw in getting older, travel times,parking issues and more ) it gets harder and harder to justify. Add in significantly increased prices and it gets easier to look for alternatives. It is great to get together with some friends and go to games but it gets harder and harder to do. I have had ST for almost 30 years and have had to eat a few during that time. At $30-50 per ticket that is one thing but when it gets closer to $200-300 per ticket (and it sure seems like that is where it is headed) it gets a whole lot harder to do

Last edited:
Northwestern is delusional. The only people who attended NU games are old farts like us and young families looking to do a family outing. Now, they’ve priced the families out and given longtime season ticket holders a reason to drop their tickets, good luck filling even 35K seats. Combine that with mediocre talent, an expanded, more competitive B1G and I’d be surprised if NU is able to retain even 15K STHs, which means that the new Ryan Field will be filled with Chicago’s B1G alumni from rival schools. Plus, students aren’t on campus for a third of the schedule (maybe more with Thanksgiving break) and have consistently shown no interest in attending games, most of which are played at 11am—when half the campus is nursing hangovers and the other half is busy studying. It’s a good thing that the lion’s share of revenue comes from television rights, because the new Ryan Field will be amazing, but very few will actually attend other than fans of the opposing teams.

Northwestern is delusional. The only people who attended NU games are old farts like us and young families looking to do a family outing. Now, they’ve priced the families out and given longtime season ticket holders a reason to drop their tickets, good luck filling even 35K seats. Combine that with mediocre talent, an expanded, more competitive B1G and I’d be surprised if NU is able to retain even 15K STHs, which means that the new Ryan Field will be filled with Chicago’s B1G alumni from rival schools. Plus, students aren’t on campus for a third of the schedule (maybe more with Thanksgiving break) and have consistently shown no interest in attending games, most of which are played at 11am—when half the campus is nursing hangovers and the other half is busy studying. It’s a good thing that the lion’s share of revenue comes from television rights, because the new Ryan Field will be amazing, but very few will actually attend other than fans of the opposing teams.
Somebody that gets it

I heard the same about the new Welsh-Ryan Arena. How did that turn out?

The key to all of this hand wringing is winning. Fans will support a winning product. I’m far more concerned about our competitive disadvantage in regards to admissions, transfers and NIL than the cost of tickets and the size of our new state-of-the-art stadium.

The key to all of this hand wringing is winning. Fans will support a winning product. I’m far more concerned about our competitive disadvantage in regards to admissions, transfers and NIL than the cost of tickets and the size of our new state-of-the-art stadium.
I think it’s much tougher to go from “not so interested fanbase” to “sold out single games” when you’ve got to fill 7,200 versus 35,000. But I hope it works out.

The prices are pretty insane. But outside of baseball (kind of), that’s how it goes these days.

I think there will be premium pricing for 10-12,000 of the 35,000 seats in the new stadium. This is a preview, since they only have about that many to sell at all, and these seats will all be very close to the action. There will be lots of regular priced tickets in the new venue.

And you don’t lose your priority in line for seats if you take a pass on these two years. Your house.

We are just catching up to the market.

I think it’s much tougher to go from “not so interested fanbase” to “sold out single games” when you’ve got to fill 7,200 versus 35,000. But I hope it works out.

The prices are pretty insane. But outside of baseball (kind of), that’s how it goes these days.

Those prices are comically low compared to the rest of the conference.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
And you don’t lose your priority in line for seats if you take a pass on these two years. Your house.
Actually, these two years (or maybe just this year) are my separation period. I have little intention of paying $250 per seat in the “affordable” sections of the new stadium. I have no interest in making a compelled “donation” of significant size to an institution with a $15 billion endowment.

Those issues are inextricably tied together!!!
That is the reason for this stadium!!

It is clear NU will not be “winning” in the future NFL minor leagues. As soon as Braun succeeds he will be gone. The stability of Fitz (and his hiring of a certain end-of-career DC) was critical to NU’s ability to be competitive for several years in the pre-NIL world.

NU is betting they can create an entertainment pavilion where major concerts, special events and a few football games played by its relegated team will generate a revenue stream to partially offset the loss of television contract revenue.

It hinges on an elite clientele.

Those prices are comically low compared to the rest of the conference.
Yeah, I know. Mine is more a lament in general than specifically about Cats pricing.

I’m not the market, but I’m not the market for any sports except the Toledo MudHens and Wildcat softball.

Actually, these two years (or maybe just this year) are my separation period. I have little intention of paying $250 per seat in the “affordable” sections of the new stadium. I have no interest in making a compelled “donation” of significant size to an institution with a $15 billion endowment.

Congratulations.

Reactions: CMcCat
It is clear NU will not be “winning” in the future NFL minor leagues.
What?!? How on earth is that ‘clear?’ USC is a blue blood, but Oregon and Washington are definitely not.

Seriously, look at Washington football results this century:

11-1
8-4
7-6
6-6
1-10
2-9
5-7
4-9
0-12
5-7

7-6
7-6
7-6
9-4
8-6
7-6
12-2
10-3
10-4
8-5
3-1 (2020)
4-8
11-2
14-1

Yeah, they’ve had some good seasons, but they’ve also gone 0 and 12. And all of that was in a weaker conference than the Big Ten.

As for Oregon, they do better than Washington, but when the Cats were playing in the Big Ten Championship game in 2020, Oregon was preparing to get walloped by Iowa State in their bowl game. (Mocking laughter) The Cats went on to beat Auburn by a similar point margin in that season’s bowl game.

As soon as Braun succeeds he will be gone.

Good! I want coaches who aspire to be the best, not ‘coaches for life’ who shrug their shoulders at mediocrity. I want Braun to stay for another six to eight years, getting the Cats to the playoffs, then taking over at Texas or Florida. Then it’s next man up, with new ideas and a burning motivation to prove himself. Maybe McGarigle?

The stability of Fitz (and his hiring of a certain end-of-career DC) was critical to NU’s ability to be competitive for several years in the pre-NIL world.

And yet the Cats got to 8 wins last season without Fitz or Hank. Go figure.

Some of us believe — and I realize that you will disagree — that the program is on a better trajectory today because we have broken out of the very small box created by the vaunted ‘stability’ you claim we lost.

Edit: I’m also of the opinion that the former Pac-12 teams should be a lot more afraid of the Big Ten than the Big Ten should fear them. Let’s see what happens when their opponents actually play defense. I’ve seen this movie before. (See State, Penn and the supposedly mighty Huskers.)

Last edited:
Reactions: cedricmelons
What?!? How on earth is that ‘clear?’ USC is a blue blood, but Oregon and Washington are definitely not.

Seriously, look at Washington football results this century:

11-1
8-4
7-6
6-6
1-10
2-9
5-7
4-9
0-12
5-7

7-6
7-6
7-6
9-4
8-6
7-6
12-2
10-3
10-4
8-5
3-1 (2020)
4-8
11-2
14-1

Yeah, they’ve had some good seasons, but they’ve also gone 0 and 12. And all of that was in a weaker conference than the Big Ten.

As for Oregon, they do better than Washington, but when the Cats were playing in the Big Ten Championship game in 2020, Oregon was preparing to get walloped by Iowa State in their bowl game. (Mocking laughter) The Cats went on to beat Auburn by a similar point margin in that season’s bowl game.

Good! I want coaches who aspire for the best, not ‘coaches for life’ who shrug their shoulders at mediocrity. I want Braun to stay for another six years, getting the Cats to the playoffs, then taking over at Texas or Florida. Next man up, with new ideas and a burning motivation to prove himself. Maybe McGarigle?

And yet the Cats got to 8 wins last season without Fitz or Hank. Go figure.

Some of us believe — and I realize that you will disagree — that the program is on a better trajectory today because we have broken out of the very small box created by the vaunted ‘stability’ you claim we lost.

Edit: I’m also of the opinion that the former Pac-12 teams should be a lot more afraid of the Big Ten than the Big Ten should fear them. Let’s see what happens when their opponents actually play defense. I’ve seen this movie before. (See State, Penn and the supposedly mighty Huskers.)
You have a lot there to reckon with. My view is that NIL is a true sea change. What happened in the recent past, let alone 20 years ago, is immaterial.

We are in a world where money is the only real factor and most decisions are highly influenced by it. Players will now gravitate to the money. TV eyeballs will turn to the money. NU was able to pitch to certain players who had other interests. Those players, as we have seen in recent years, will play at NU 2 years and then go to the money.

NU does not have this kind of money to enable it to compete. Look at our NIL effort, well-meaning as it is, paying our athletes to make appearances at local nonprofit events. Is that going to compete with things like https://www.divisionst.com/ ?

Hey, I could be completely wrong. I just don’t see the factors that kept NU competitive in the college football enterprise persisting as the game transforms into something very different.

More like 6500 but your point is taken. They jacked up price of my seats for next year significantly but a bargain compared to what they are doing in football

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT