ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS RECRUITING Future pipeline for NU basketball

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
This year in hoops has been nothing short of amazing. While I'm soaking in every moment now, I can't help but think about how we can build on this and make something sustainable -- basically exactly what we were hoping would happen after 2017.

The problem, as I see it, is our recruiting pipeline is not great right now. Hardly unexpected, given it was unclear if CCC would be here come 2023-24.

I am admittedly a bit confused about the number of years left for guys like Nicholson, Berry, Barnhizer, etc., but the key factor right now is that NU has three "super seniors" who could come back for one more year if they wanted: Boo Buie, Chase Audige, Robbie Beran.

It would obviously be huge if any/all returned, especially Chase and Boo, to provide a "bridge year" for the program to ramp up the recruiting efforts off of this season. But suppose they all move on after this unexpected success. That leave us with, in order of seniority, these 9 scholarship players:

Berry
Nicholson
Roper
Barnhizer
Hunger
Martinelli
*Clayton
*Strauss
*Barkley

If I squint, I can see a starting lineup of Barnhizer-Berry-Roper-Martinelli/Hunger-Nicholson keeping up the defensive intensity. But I'm hard-pressed to see where the scoring comes from.

IMO if Boo/Chase move on, Collins needs to make a hard sell to a scoring PG in the transfer portal above all else. NU has only had success under him with a PG who can create for others but also importantly create his own shot in a pinch. I don't think we can count on Clayton/Strauss to do that immediately in Big Ten play.

Second priority would be to get another transfer Big in the Verhoeven model who can give 10 good minutes off the bench.

Then the question becomes what kind of player can we get in 2024 at this point. Verbal Commits has us with an offer out to Jaye Nash, a PG with other reported offers from Illinois and Alabama, among other top programs, with reported interest from the blue bloods. Can we get him? Or is it too late?

I know NIL has changed the game somewhat but I'm hopeful that one way or another we can build on this season and emerge as the basketball school I've long thought we're capable of -- now with an intimidating new arena to boot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News