ADVERTISEMENT

Gates may no longer be at Florida

You're larger point is accurate and, IMO, you are in the upper tier in terms of fair-mindedness on this board.

And there can be two truths to this anonymous fellow. His intro to this board can be self inflicted and ill advised. And he can be a good guy. From his two days of posts it looks as though both are true.

If Armon Gates was 60 I'd have reacted differently. He's a young man who looks to be very sincere and hard working. It wouldn't be right besmirch his reputation if it is wholly unjustified. And if it's justified then state what the problem is.

I've been on this board 11 years (!) and I believe this is the first personal compliment I've received. So thanks. I'll credit my Medill education for teaching me to suss out BS.

We all know who the trolls are. It would just be nice to have the conversations without all the strange personal animus (but with the ribbing, because this is, after all, the Internet.) One of our fellow posters, thewildcat2011, made the relevant and important point that there's a big difference between criticizing someone's post and attacking the poster. For me, that's where I draw the line and where I begin to tune out.

Anyway, carry on, my wayward sons and daughters.

Reactions: Dugan15
I got a bunch of “alerts” on this thread, and arrive to see @FightNorthwestern gave me a bunch of “likes”!!!
So I earned either an ally or pity.
Thanks FNW!

Ok— All the best, everyone.

p.s. I’m sure - with the passage of time - more will be learned of this situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I got a bunch of “alerts” on this thread, and arrive to see @FightNorthwestern gave me a bunch of “likes”!!!
Thanks FNW!

p.s. I’m sure - with the passage of time - more will be learned of this situation.

Thanks FNW!

You set up your feeds to alert you when you get “Likes”? Wow. Why not just by the Russian App that will “Like” you 1000 times for roughly 3 dollars. Then you can really feel good about yourself.

You set up your feeds to alert you when you get “Likes”? Wow. Why not just by the Russian App that will “Like” you 1000 times for roughly 3 dollars. Then you can really feel good about yourself.

My feeds??
I didn’t “set it up”. It seems to be the default setting, as I keep getting emails relating to this thread.
For example, I got an email alerting me to your friendly message here.
Also, I’m an older fella, so I’m not familar with the app you mention... or really any app, for that matter! :)

Last edited:

He didn’t set it up like that. It’s the standard setting.

My feeds??
I didn’t “set it up”. It seems to be the default setting, as I keep getting emails relating to this thread.
For example, I got an email alerting me to your friendly message here.
Also, I’m an older fella, so I’m not familar with the app you mention... or really any app, for that matter! :)
Yeah those e-mails are a "feature" I was highly motivated to get rid of quickly.

Here's a story from ESPN....

Gates said he was not fired at Florida. Florida officials said the school parted ways with Gates and had no further comment.

Gates had interviewed for an assistant's job at Nebraska previously and, he said, Miles "rubbed off on me in a positive way." Gates said he spoke with Nebraska assistant and friend Michael Lewis about the job opening created when Kenya Hunter left April 9 to be an assistant at UConn.

Gates said he then asked White for permission to speak to Miles.

Miles said Gates encouraged him to call White, and the Florida coach didn't raise any issues about Gates that concerned him.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...rnhuskers-assistant-brief-stay-florida-gators

Gates said he was not fired at Florida. Florida officials said the school parted ways with Gates and had no further comment.

Gates had interviewed for an assistant's job at Nebraska previously and, he said, Miles "rubbed off on me in a positive way." Gates said he spoke with Nebraska assistant and friend Michael Lewis about the job opening created when Kenya Hunter left April 9 to be an assistant at UConn.

Miles said Gates encouraged him to call White, and the Florida coach didn't raise any issues about Gates that concerned him.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...rnhuskers-assistant-brief-stay-florida-gators

This version seems a lot closer to my first thoughts originally when I heard this news... that perhaps Gates did not agree with some of the recruiting practices or philosophies at Florida. Basically something turned him off. They can spin that as "poor fit" or "chemistry issues" but it happened so quickly that there seem to be other reasons.

Best wishes to Gates except when he recruits and coaches against the Cats.

From what I have read on this subject, it seems that Gates was actively looking for a new job at the end of the season and spoke with many schools about openings. Did he want to leave because of issues with the team/staff or was he just looking to further his career away from NU? Taking a promotion with a higher salary at Florida makes sense but talking to Nebraska about an assistant job while still at NU seems like a lateral move. If as has been speculated that Collins wanted to keep him, why not take him back when the Florida situation fell through?

From what I have read on this subject, it seems that Gates was actively looking for a new job at the end of the season and spoke with many schools about openings. Did he want to leave because of issues with the team/staff or was he just looking to further his career away from NU? Taking a promotion with a higher salary at Florida makes sense but talking to Nebraska about an assistant job while still at NU seems like a lateral move. If as has been speculated that Collins wanted to keep him, why not take him back when the Florida situation fell through?
Why didn't NU take Gates back?

I wouldn't rehire an employee who recently resigned from his position to take a slightly better position at a competitor. Here's why:
  • That employee was already feeling dissatisfied or unfulfilled in his role. I would expect that employe, if rehired, to leave the position within the next year, if not sooner. Hiring him back won't change how he feels about the position he's in.
  • That employee was provided with a better title and better pay by his new employer. Even if he says he's fine taking his old position and salary, he now knows that the market believes he's worth more than I'm paying him. I can either pony up the extra cash and create/open up a new position/title for him (which NU isn't really in a position to do) or see how long he'll last in his old gig. Again, how long should I expect him to hang around? Is it worth it for my company? Or would I be better off promoting from within or hiring externally, especially if I can find someone who will be an equally good fit?
  • His relationship with his coworkers, especially with those he was managing, has been altered by his departure. In the case of NU and Gates, I'm not sure our players would necessarily want to play for a coach who clearly wanted a "better" gig. And I don't think recruits would really buy into anything he's selling, either.

Why didn't NU take Gates back?

I wouldn't rehire an employee who recently resigned from his position to take a slightly better position at a competitor. Here's why:
  • That employee was already feeling dissatisfied or unfulfilled in his role. I would expect that employe, if rehired, to leave the position within the next year, if not sooner. Hiring him back won't change how he feels about the position he's in.
  • That employee was provided with a better title and better pay by his new employer. Even if he says he's fine taking his old position and salary, he now knows that the market believes he's worth more than I'm paying him. I can either pony up the extra cash and create/open up a new position/title for him (which NU isn't really in a position to do) or see how long he'll last in his old gig. Again, how long should I expect him to hang around? Is it worth it for my company? Or would I be better off promoting from within or hiring externally, especially if I can find someone who will be an equally good fit?
  • His relationship with his coworkers, especially with those he was managing, has been altered by his departure. In the case of NU and Gates, I'm not sure our players would necessarily want to play for a coach who clearly wanted a "better" gig. And I don't think recruits would really buy into anything he's selling, either.
Same with me. I never rehired someone who left, for pretty much the same reasons as you. Turnover is good, brings fresh ideas and outlooks to a staff.

I wonder why it is taking Collins so long to name a replacement though?

Seems as if everyone is being overly positive and friendly in this story. "We're all great pals just trying to help everyone find the right fit." Not the right fit is what people say when there's something very wrong, but no one wants to burn any bridges. We'll probably never hear it, but I'm convinced there's way more to this story.

Reactions: ricko654321
Seems as if everyone is being overly positive and friendly in this story. "We're all great pals just trying to help everyone find the right fit." Not the right fit is what people say when there's something very wrong, but no one wants to burn any bridges. We'll probably never hear it, but I'm convinced there's way more to this story.
Me to. First he takes a upward move position for a good size raise and then just leaves for a lateral move position. Either something troubling occurred at Florida or he just thinks he should be moving up the ladder a lot quicker then NU thought he should. Sometimes egos get in the way of sound decisions.

Well it's pretty obvious something happened at Florida, enough to convince one or both parties to decide it wasn't going to work out. The ESPN article makes it seem like Gates left because something He didn't like. His family had not even moved to Florida yet, so it may have been an easier decision for him.

Well it's pretty obvious something happened at Florida, enough to convince one or both parties to decide it wasn't going to work out. The ESPN article makes it seem like Gates left because something He didn't like. His family had not even moved to Florida yet, so it may have been an easier decision for him.

What happened to the Anonymous's alert meter? And where he is with the explanation? It appears he was bullshitting us all the time.

What happened to the Anonymous's alert meter? And where he is with the explanation? It appears he was bullshitting us all the time.

Unfortunately, I am still alerted via email of this thread. Lol.
Anyway, you are - of course - free to believe what you wish.
The facts of the situation are that Florida essentially fired Armon Gates.
White has largely taken the high road here, but the reasons for the break-up are seeping out.
They are out there, if you care to look.
If not- you can simply ask yourself why a highly sought assistant would scramble to such a tenuous situation in Nebraska? Or why gates - in a tweet on his way home from his final Florida recruiting trip- was lauding his week of work and exclaiming, “see you soon, Gainesville”? This was less than 2 days before word of the looming breakup first leaked within tight circles. That does not jive with a man who discovered something nefarious and was set to bolt.
Anyway, believe whatever narrative you wish.
Now, can someone tell this old man how to turn off the email alert?
On a side note - perhaps some good news coming to y’all. I’ll try to find out and, if so - will return ... hopefully improving my popularity here! :)

Last edited:
White has largely taken the high road here, but the reasons for the break-up are seeping out.
If not- you can simply ask yourself why a highly sought assistant would scramble to such a tenuous situation in Nebraska? Or why gates - in a tweet on his way home from his final Florida recruiting trip- was lauding his week of work and exclaiming, “see you soon, Gainesville”? This was less than 2 days before word of the looming breakup first leaked within tight circles. That does not jive with a man who discovered something nefarious and was set to bolt.
On a side note - perhaps some good news coming to y’all. I’ll try to find out and, if so - will return ... hopefully improving my popularity here! :)

So the reasons are out there if you look, but you STILL won’t just say what you claim to know? Awesome work.

Reactions: TheAnonymous13
So the reasons are out there if you look, but you STILL won’t just say what you claim to know? Awesome work.

Correct.

And the reasons are two fold:

1) though some may be ok with airing dirty laundry, I am not.

2) anything I report will - justifiably - be viewed with cynicism on this board. I am not interested in another 4 pages of defending what I report.

Here you go again. You talk about leaks but then say nothing, yet you continue to imply this is on Gates. Why would Florida take the hit on the hire if it is on Gates? Makes no sense, since they look incompetent at best in this situation. I think they also find a way to expedite this “leak” without be tied directly to it.
Who are they protecting? Read White’s comment at the introductory press conference. Gates said something similar about Florida. We all know the “fit” comment is pure BS and it won’t fly with anyone who has ever relocated and hired employees in any field.

"Chris Collins thinks the world of him. Jim Phillips is a terrific athletic director at Northwestern, thinks the world of him," said White about brining Gates on. "I’ve known Armon a long time. He’s won wherever he’s been. Helped build the culture at Loyola-Chicago, started building that program. Obviously helped Northwestern get to its first NCAA Tournament in school history last year. He’s a really good cultural fit, a guy we are very fond of as a coach, as a recruiter, as a mentor and most importantly as a human being.”

If you have “inside” knowledge like you seem to portray that you do and the knowledge is now “leaked” then point us outsiders to it because this whole situation makes no sense.

Here you go again. You talk about leaks but then say nothing, yet you continue to imply this is on Gates. Why would Florida take the hit on the hire if it is on Gates? Makes no sense, since they look incompetent at best in this situation. I think they also find a way to expedite this “leak” without be tied directly to it.
Who are they protecting? Read White’s comment at the introductory press conference. Gates said something similar about Florida. We all know the “fit” comment is pure BS and it won’t fly with anyone who has ever relocated and hired employees in any field.

"Chris Collins thinks the world of him. Jim Phillips is a terrific athletic director at Northwestern, thinks the world of him," said White about brining Gates on. "I’ve known Armon a long time. He’s won wherever he’s been. Helped build the culture at Loyola-Chicago, started building that program. Obviously helped Northwestern get to its first NCAA Tournament in school history last year. He’s a really good cultural fit, a guy we are very fond of as a coach, as a recruiter, as a mentor and most importantly as a human being.”

If you have “inside” knowledge like you seem to portray that you do and the knowledge is now “leaked” then point us outsiders to it because this whole situation makes no sense.

A few things:

1) Gates had not yet relocated to Florida. The plan had always been to do that a bit later. He had spent very little time in Gainesville during his short tenure.

2) both parties were very complimentary of one another following the hire. That stands to reason.

3) Gates said some nice things about Florida at his recent Nebraska presser.

4) Florida has offered no comment.

5) Florida absolutely showed a level of incompetence in this situation.

Last edited:
Correct.

2) anything I report will - justifiably - be viewed with cynicism on this board. I am not interested in another 4 pages of defending what I report.

1) You already said it’s been aired.

2) People jumped on you because you claimed to have knowledge but kept it for yourself, not because of whatever actually happened with Gates at Florida.

1) You already said it’s been aired.

2) People jumped on you because you claimed to have knowledge but kept it for yourself, not because of whatever actually happened with Gates at Florida.

1) it has been- in “small doses”.

2) the little I have stated - that Florida made this decision - has been viewed with real skepticism, and has drawn the ire of some.
I suspect anything I could state regarding the reasons would be met with similar .. and likely stronger... response.

I’ve discovered the inevitable path for these type posts ends at the same dead end — “how do you know this?”. So even if I were to post “what I know”, i will ultimately be unable to answer that final question. And so in cases that the information may be disagreeable to the audience, I just open my self up to attack by making such post.
I very much underestimated the push back here relating to a former assistant. That was a mistake and I regret having ever posted. I would probably be better served by not feeling so compelled to defend myself or my post.

Last edited:
1) it has been- in “small doses”.

2) the little I have stated - that Florida made this decision - has been viewed with real skepticism, and has drawn the ire of some.
I suspect anything I could state regarding the reasons would be met with similar .. and likely stronger... response.

Calling bullshit again.

Correct.

Coming on a message and saying there is dirty laundry to be aired and actually airing the dirty laundry effectively are the same thing. Either way, your actions are helping impugn Gates’ reputation.

Coming on a message and saying there is dirty laundry to be aired and actually airing the dirty laundry effectively are the same thing. Either way, your actions are helping impugn Gates’ reputation.

This is, perhaps, a very good point. And another reason I regret even posting.
Though several on this thread have openly and freely speculated about Florida and/or Mike White with virtually no pushback. It seems the concern is a bit one-sided.
Again, I understand that and very much underestimated it as a factor on this board/thread.

Last edited:
Though several on this thread have openly and freely speculated about Florida and/or Mike White with virtually no pushback. It seems the concern is a bit one-sided.
Again, I understand that and very much underestimated it as a factor on this board/thread.
The pushback is entirely against you, not your supposed "inside information". Those of us who have speculated about Florida and/or White have labelled our posts as speculation. Claiming inside knowledge and throwing around hints and innuendo without any substance, and then saying it's "out there" without pointing to it is just poor human interaction whether on a message board, in a newspaper column or in a normal conversation between people.

It's self-aggrandizing, playground-teasing, and as our friends form Texas might say, all hat and no cattle. If you've got something, say it. If it's out there, link to it. If you've just been stringing us along to get attention, then you win. Take your bows and move on. This "Ha ha. I know something you don't know," act of yours has grown mighty thin.

No pushback doesn’t mean people on this board agree. Message board posters speculate without basis all the time. It is what message boards are all about. Those type of unsupported posts rarely carry much weight.

The pushback is entirely against you, not your supposed "inside information". Those of us who have speculated about Florida and/or White have labelled our posts as speculation. Claiming inside knowledge and throwing around hints and innuendo without any substance, and then saying it's "out there" without pointing to it is just poor human interaction whether on a message board, in a newspaper column or in a normal conversation between people.

It's self-aggrandizing, playground-teasing, and as our friends form Texas might say, all hat and no cattle. If you've got something, say it. If it's out there, link to it. If you've just been stringing us along to get attention, then you win. Take your bows and move on. This "Ha ha. I know something you don't know," act of yours has grown mighty thin.

My posts have never... at least not intentionally ... reflected a “ha ha, I know something” tone.
I’d kindly ask that you read my posts from beginning to end.
The truth is, I made a atatement without a willingness to provide details behind that statement.
That was an admitted mistake.
I have since repeatedly defended myself here—- probably another mistake.
But I never intended this to go the route it has, and I believe my initial posts will reflect that fact.
So on that note, I apologize and say my “goodbyes”.

Last edited:
No pushback doesn’t mean people on this board agree. Message board posters speculate without basis all the time. It is what message boards are all about. Those type of unsupported posts rarely carry much weight.

So I could have “speculated” Gates being at fault, or even offered some conjecture of he having done something egregious —- and like the Florida posts—- it would have received no pushback?
I disagree.
The pushback here is related to Gates’ past affiliation with your program. I respect and greatly underestimated the loyalty.

Now let me slink outta here! ;)

So I could have “speculated” Gates being at fault, or even offered some conjecture of he having done something egregious —- and like the Florida posts—- it would have received no pushback?
I disagree.
The pushback here is related to Gates’ past affiliation with your program. I respect and greatly underestimated the loyalty.

Now let me slink outta here! ;)
Dude, either stay or interact or actually go...the whole "goodbye forever" shtick only to come back for another drive by is way more annoying than the actual posts.

FWIW, I'm sure there's an interesting story here that likely makes both sides look less than pretty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT