ADVERTISEMENT

Grad Transfer update per the twitterverse...

With all these tweener grad tranfers makes me even more curious about Lathon. If Collins has this much faith in him he'll either be ready right out the gates or ash progressed a lot offensively to be a serviceable backup guard not just for defensive situations. I'm excited.

Although could just be going for the best talent available approach. I have no problems with that either. I really like that approach.

Reactions: Max_Power
Lathon will be good. Remember he'll be a freshman at a position that is supposed to run the offense in Collins system.

Getting a grad transfer like Mooney will take the pressure off lathon and immediately make the team more competitive for next season.

I don't know much about basketball at all, but it's clear when one watches Lathon's tape that he's a far superior athlete than B Mac. The kid has a ton of 'lift', a way better first step and I'd guess as good a shot (B Mac's shot wasn't great, really average IMO). Love B Mac for leading us to the promise land, but I think in due time Lathon will be better. If Collins lands Mooney, Lathon will have a slew of nice scoring options to pass to that will alleviate scoring pressure off himself until he finds his own groove against B1G competition

I don't know much about basketball at all, but it's clear when one watches Lathon's tape that he's a far superior athlete than B Mac. The kid has a ton of 'lift', a way better first step and I'd guess as good a shot (B Mac's shot wasn't great, really average IMO). Love B Mac for leading us to the promise land, but I think in due time Lathon will be better. If Collins lands Mooney, Lathon will have a slew of nice scoring options to pass to that will alleviate scoring pressure off himself until he finds his own groove against B1G competition

I also am no basketball expert, but I’m real excited about Lathon. Think he’s going to be a good/great player for us. The one thing I notice that worries me some (again, no basketball expert) is that he does appear to have a low release on his jump shot. I could potentially see that being an issue at the D1 level if my assessment is correct.

Lathon has crazy athleticism. I love his highlights and I would love for him to average 10ppg and 5 asts per game and take over the position. But I don't want him to have to do that. My fav Lathon highlight :rolleyes:

Multiple sources (from other schools) say NU having an in home visit with Matt Mooney today.
What is the latest date that a grad transfer can enroll in NU and be eligible? Maybe we all can then start a "when" timetable.

Mooney announced this afternoon on Twitter that he’s not returning to South Dakota. No surprise at all, but he was still at least publicly saying that was an option up until this point.

Reactions: nickcat4
Mooney announced this afternoon on Twitter that he’s not returning to South Dakota. No surprise at all, but he was still at least publicly saying that was an option up until this point.
That followed fairly quickly on an in home visit by CCC. Right?

Apologies if I’m late on this, but Mooney apparently went to Notre Dame in Niles, and lists his hometown as Wauconda. Playing so close to home has to appeal to a guy who just spent two years in South Dakota ...

Apologies if I’m late on this, but Mooney apparently went to Notre Dame in Niles, and lists his hometown as Wauconda. Playing so close to home has to appeal to a guy who just spent two years in South Dakota ...
I taught economics,history and govt at Notre Dame HS in 1985! Coached wrestling and tennis also.

Reactions: DaCat and NJCat
Thanks for the update. Do you know if the coaching staff is looking at him as more of Lead Guard or SG? Would love to get him, but it seems like with Turner and Law the 2 and 3 spots are in pretty good shape. I guess we could always go small ball and play Lathon, Mooney, Turner, Law, Pardon.

Does getting Mooney mean Lathon doesn't start? These would be good problems to have

heard both NU and Creighton are in really good standing. Heard his visit to NU was really good.

My guess is that Lathon starts from Day 1 as the lead guard, barring injury of course. Think McIntosh.

That's what I thought too, but Collins wouldn't be going after Mooney this hard to have him come off the bench, nor would Mooney be interested in doing that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT