ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hankwitz quoted in New York Times hazing article

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
I came across this story in the New York Times about the NU hazing scandal. Mike Hankwitz and Rose Bowl DE Casey Dailey are both quoted. There’s not really any other new material here, but it’s definitely worth a read.

I believe that Hank is the first NU coach, current or former, to go on the record. Not surprisingly, he backs Fitz:

Mike Hankwitz, who spent 13 years as the football team’s defensive coordinator before his retirement after the 2020 season, did not doubt the accounts of some athletes. But in a phone interview, he questioned the scope of the accusations because he said he had neither witnessed nor heard of hazing from coaches, equipment managers, janitors, strength and conditioning coaches, trainers and food servers — all people who would be around Northwestern football players.

“Fitz wanted to do what was right by the players,” Hankwitz said. “Our first team meeting is team rules, one of which is zero tolerance for hazing. To say he sat by as this happened? I’m sorry.”

Hankwitz said Northwestern has long had a players’ council, which was elected by the players and could have brought any concerns to Fitzgerald. “He wanted to give them ownership and leadership skills,” Hankwitz said.

Link:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News