ADVERTISEMENT

Hard to overstate how huge of a win this was

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
Whew. Now that we actually secured the W, can we talk about just how huge it was that NU won tonight?!

- Secures highest BTT seed in program history
- Can legitimately say we were the No. 2 team in the conference on the recruiting trail
- Avoids a potential 5-game skid that would make us a bit nervous on Selection Sunday
- More rest, one less game to win a Big Ten Championship
- Being the No. 2 in the Big Ten could help NCAA seeding just from pure perception

The vibe would be totally different as a 9. Was an absolute must-win, and it wasn’t always pretty, but the guys did it.

Congratulations NU Men’s Basketball on an outstanding regular season. Amazing accomplishment. The fun is just beginning.

There was SO MUCH at stake in this game, I couldn’t watch it straight through, due to nerves. It wasn’t just about the seeding. It was the momentum, the confidence…everything. The most NU thing would have been to lose out and slink into the tourney, somehow leaving a less-than-great feeling after the epic 5-game win streak. But this is the most anti-NU basketball team I’ve ever seen & they proved it again tonight. Thrilled and so, so proud.

A very satisfying game! Almost left in first half- looking like another losing game but just as i was getting up- they started kicking it up a notch and never looked back! Barnhizer and Boo are so much fun yo watch along w nicolson dunks! For the first time ever i am looking forward to the big 10 tourney! Go Cats!!

Boo showed up when needed. Barnhizer continues to develop into a scorer. And the B1G Network guys note a great thing: Nicholson playing within himself, playing great D and flushing with authority when so fed. Awesome!
If Nicholson can develop a go-to shot in the post other than the Shaq dunk, the sky's the limit for Big Matt. The dude has good feet and is athletic.

A very satisfying game! Almost left in first half- looking like another losing game but just as i was getting up- they started kicking it up a notch and never looked back! Barnhizer and Boo are so much fun yo watch along w nicolson dunks! For the first time ever i am looking forward to the big 10 tourney! Go Cats!!
Wait, you were at the game and almost left in the first half?

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I had a hard time watching at times, but will admit to being so proud of this team. I think it might be less talented than the 2016-2017 team, but it seems to have great chemistry—which is just as important!

Wait, you were at the game and almost left in the first half?
Wanted to beat the crowds to Stuff Yer Face.....

images

man-vs-food-boli_v4.jpg

For what it’s worth, I also think NU has earned at least a 7 seed, which is waaaaay better than an 8. (Seems like a 6, realistically.)

At Rutgers is *another* Quad 1 win.
They were already talked about as a 6-7 so this likely puts them in a 5-6 range. Could go higher depending on BTT

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Whew. Now that we actually secured the W, can we talk about just how huge it was that NU won tonight?!

- Can legitimately say we were the No. 2 team in the conference on the recruiting trail
- Avoids a potential 5-game skid that would make us a bit nervous on Selection Sunday
- Being the No. 2 in the Big Ten could help NCAA seeding just from pure perception

The vibe would be totally different as a 9. Was an absolute must-win, and it wasn’t always pretty, but the guys did it.

Congratulations NU Men’s Basketball on an outstanding regular season. Amazing accomplishment. The fun is just beginning.
In addition to all of these are individual accolades:

Collins probably loses Big 10 COTY if he lost tonight. Now I think he's done enough to beat Painter.

Boo was shaky for a while tonight, but may have done enough to be make the all-conference first team.

Chase, as bad as he was down the stretch offensively, was phenomenal AGAIN tonight defensively, and considering Rutgers had a guy the announcers kept saying was one of the best defenders in the league and Chase outplayed him defensively, maybe Chase wins DPOTY as well.

Plus the team accolade of winning 12 games for the first time, with the overall record within reach as well.

So much at stake tonight!

Chase, as bad as he was down the stretch offensively, was phenomenal AGAIN tonight defensively, and considering Rutgers had a guy the announcers kept saying was one of the best defenders in the league and Chase outplayed him defensively, maybe Chase wins DPOTY as well.
Good post, and Chase was darn good, but McConnell got credited with six swipes tonight and holds onto the conference steals title.

Maybe the power of the Cats story, and that theft and dunk against Purdue gets Chase the nod.

Good post, and Chase was darn good, but McConnell got credited with six swipes tonight and holds onto the conference steals title.

Maybe the power of the Cats story, and that theft and dunk against Purdue gets Chase the nod.
I missed that he had six. Ok, maybe he had better stats than Chase, but I still think Chase played better overall defense. Of course, I wasn't really watching the other guy. :)

Chase's D is not just the steals. Mulcahy was the DPOY last year Chase has a good shot this year

You mean not having to watch then Weds and Thurs?

Such a great win tonight. WE needed it for seeding in the Big Ten tourney, and just for momentum, etc. Rutgers needed it for NCAA resume, it was their senior night, etc. We played clutch basketball. Every single time RU even THOUGHT about a run in the second half, we shut them down with clutch plays on both sides of the ball. LOVE how we played with as much pressure as there could have been in this last game of the regular season.

This team has grit and toughness, and is just plain fun to watch and root for.

In addition to all of these are individual accolades:

Collins probably loses Big 10 COTY if he lost tonight. Now I think he's done enough to beat Painter.

Boo was shaky for a while tonight, but may have done enough to be make the all-conference first team.

Plus the team accolade of winning 12 games for the first time, with the overall record within reach as well.

So much at stake tonight!
Good points. I’m not sure all of those individual accolades will happen, but you’re right that they would all be significantly less likely without a win tonight.

Numerous accomplishments for the program that were firsts or hadn't been done in a really long time; just too bad they couldn't pull out a win against UI or PSU to finish with single digit losses for the regular season.

Must have hit a chord. -36 likes and more to come!

That flight back to Evanston has to be a fun ride for all aboard.

Thanks and congratulations to the coaches. team and supporting cast for a terrific regular season.

Best for the post-season ahead.

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT