ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Johnson QB Battle

Maybe Hunters problem is not that he doesn't have the tools to be a fantastic quarterback, perhaps he doesn't make good in-game decisions.

McCall has proven over the years he can open things up and direct a wide open offense.

Yards per play, NU national rank:
2008: 4.8 (85th)
2009: 4.8 (91st)
2010: 5.2 (73rd)
2011: 5.3 (57th)
2012: 5.2 (81st)
2013: 5.2 (83rd)
2014: 4.4 (122nd)
2015: 4.2 (120th)
2016: 5.2 (90th)
2017: 5.2 (93rd)
2018: 4.6 (121st)

When has he proven this, exactly?

Yards per play, NU national rank:
2008: 4.8 (85th)
2009: 4.8 (91st)
2010: 5.2 (73rd)
2011: 5.3 (57th)
2012: 5.2 (81st)
2013: 5.2 (83rd)
2014: 4.4 (122nd)
2015: 4.2 (120th)
2016: 5.2 (90th)
2017: 5.2 (93rd)
2018: 4.6 (121st)

When has he proven this, exactly?

vs. Auburn in the Outback Bowl.

Do you really think Fitz would allow another OC to do anything different than what McCall is doing? C'mon Styre, I know this isn't the weekly B1G TV listings, but you've got to understand who is running the show in Evanston.

Even the possibility that HJ is not the starter is insane.

I have listened to a lot of national commentary on NU the past two weeks. No one has even hinted that Hunter Johnson is anything but the starting QB. I think this is all just coach smoke.

Reactions: mikewebb68
I am the founder of the #FireMcCall movement. I think those three were drafted into the NFL despite playing in McCall's system. They didn't develop nearly as much as they could have under a different OC.

You must be proud! And you probably never gave the OL a thought. Nobody ever does.

WQAM's Ed Kaplan used to ask Dolphins fans when they bitched about QB play or the offense to name and critique the starting OL. Nobody could. Then he'd hang up on them. He ticked off a lot of callers.

I am the founder of the #jimmyNUisclueless movement. The OC takes direction from the head coach. The head coach dictates the overall offensive philosophy and the OC executes accordingly. McCall has proven over the years he can open things up and direct a wide open offense. In recent years Fitz has insisted upon a conservative ball control type offense. If you were to fire McCall, the new OC would be running essentially the same offense. If you have issues with our offense blame Fitz.

Name calling. Awesome. You obviously have more inside knowledge than I do. I blame Fitz for not firing McCall years ago. I didn't realize that McCall was an innocent victim. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Reactions: IGNORE
I am the founder of the #jimmyNUisclueless movement. The OC takes direction from the head coach. The head coach dictates the overall offensive philosophy and the OC executes accordingly. McCall has proven over the years he can open things up and direct a wide open offense. In recent years Fitz has insisted upon a conservative ball control type offense. If you were to fire McCall, the new OC would be running essentially the same offense. If you have issues with our offense blame Fitz.

McCall is one of the best OCs in the country and the rest of the current offensive star is not far behind relative to their peer groups. Some of These guys wouldn’t know what good coaching looked like if it hit them square in the face. I think watching the OL perform this year will give people some clarity on the difference a good coach can make.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
vs. Auburn in the Outback Bowl.

Do you really think Fitz would allow another OC to do anything different than what McCall is doing? C'mon Styre, I know this isn't the weekly B1G TV listings, but you've got to understand who is running the show in Evanston.

McCall’s offense only got this conservative after Colter left and they no longer had a super mobile QB that could reliably run option plays. This is not the story of Fitz’s entire tenure. If Johnson is as fast and athletic as they say, I actually do expect the offense to open up a bit.

But the point is that the offense wasn’t that good back then, either, rare single game performances notwithstanding.

McCall’s offense only got this conservative after Colter left and they no longer had a super mobile QB that could reliably run option plays. This is not the story of Fitz’s entire tenure. If Johnson is as fast and athletic as they say, I actually do expect the offense to open up a bit.

But the point is that the offense wasn’t that good back then, either, rare single game performances notwithstanding.
Yeah, you show stats from the past 11’years and coral says “yeah, but the Auburn game”. Unbelievable

HJ should get the vast majority of snaps in the Stanford came and then go on to be the starter thereafter. Let’s just simmer down now and see what happens.

Reactions: IGNORE and DaCat
I have listened to a lot of national commentary on NU the past two weeks. No one has even hinted that Hunter Johnson is anything but the starting QB. I think this is all just coach smoke.

Vast majority of the national media knows a great deal less about this program than most people reading these message boards

You must be proud! And you probably never gave the OL a thought. Nobody ever does.

WQAM's Ed Kaplan used to ask Dolphins fans when they bitched about QB play or the offense to name and critique the starting OL. Nobody could. Then he'd hang up on them. He ticked off a lot of callers.

Denver fans during Trevor's tenure as the Broncos QB could have used a healthy dose of Ed Kaplan.

The Greenstein column from a few days ago, which I haven’t seen linked here, said McCall’s offense is unusually complex. That was distressing, as it has not appeared to result in better offense. That’s the reason Teddy gave for why Green has the upper hand.
We have had a number of handicaps over the last few years such as OL. Less talent at WR etc. That would limit the ability to exploit the advantages that might be buried somewhere in that complexity

Does anybody remember when CT was battling Oliver for the starting qb nod four seasons ago?? I am just curious as to when CT was named the official starter. That may reveal if this truly is as close as everybody is making it seem between HJ and TJ. I am also hoping that the results are as good as what CT gave us his 4 years as the starter. I'll happily take 3 bowl wins by HJ or whomever is the starter the next 3 seasons.
From what has been said, while TJ was working with the real playbook last year HJ was working with opponents play books. It gave him reps but not in the system. TJ might be ahead of him because of that but it would likely not be for long

I wish we had more fans that had a fricken clue about football. Notice that you got a like from Ignore on your post. That should tell you all you need to know.
See, and I just wish we had more fans. I'm not picky.

Also, Ignore is a big fan of my work. Its one of his best qualities. ;)

Name calling. Awesome. You obviously have more inside knowledge than I do. I blame Fitz for not firing McCall years ago. I didn't realize that McCall was an innocent victim. Enjoy the rest of your day.
Do you play golf?

That's not name calling. Name calling would be "Hey, jimmyNUnothingaboutfootbll!" or "Is your full name Jimmy NewbieDumbass?" or "Get a clue, jimmypullyourheadoutofyourass!"

He was just saying you don't know what you're talking about. ;)

Actually, I've been saying #FireCushing MUCH longer than I've been saying #FireMcCall. I think about the OL all the time. I went so far as to check the NFL draft stats a year or two ago. Cushing never had an O-line player drafted. Our O-line guys just simply didn't improve under his system.

I am part of a private Facebook group where I have been complaining about Cushing's pathetic OL for years.

Yeah, you show stats from the past 11’years and coral says “yeah, but the Auburn game”. Unbelievable

What more do you need to know? Last year's MSU and Nebraska games?
Actually, I've been saying #FireCushing MUCH longer than I've been saying #FireMcCall. I think about the OL all the time. I went so far as to check the NFL draft stats a year or two ago. Cushing never had an O-line player drafted. Our O-line guys just simply didn't improve under his system.

I am part of a private Facebook group where I have been complaining about Cushing's pathetic OL for years.

Give this man two medals!

What more do you need to know? Last year's MSU and Nebraska games?

Give this man two medals!
Not sure if you are being sarcastic but you show me MSU and Nebraska and I’ll raise you Rutgers, Michigan, Duke, Iowa,.....

McCall is one of the best OCs in the country and the rest of the current offensive star is not far behind relative to their peer groups. Some of These guys wouldn’t know what good coaching looked like if it hit them square in the face. I think watching the OL perform this year will give people some clarity on the difference a good coach can make.

And that's why they keep getting recruiting to the big programs, offered HC positions, etc. Corbi, corbi, corbi - turning purple from all that koolaid

But I think this is the year to judge McCall - all indications are positive thus far from Anderson and the OL. But if Hunter cannot learn the playbook, and we aren't that original nor is the resulting offensive all that good, then what the hell is he putting together?

See, and I just wish we had more fans. I'm not picky.

Also, Ignore is a big fan of my work. Its one of his best qualities. ;)

His handle is Ignore for a reason. I suggest you become circumspect any time he agrees with you or likes what you posted.

His handle is Ignore for a reason. I suggest you become circumspect any time he agrees with you or likes what you posted.

I hope you all are enjoying the fun I'm offering by liking many of corbi's posts. What a tool. Too bad he can't read me and that DJT is gonna get another 4 years. Man I hope he live feeds his election night activities....

I notice you still didn’t answer my question.

Could you please explain why you think it would be beneficial to split reps between Hunter and TJ?

It’s beneficial because the coaches haven’t yet figured out which one gives the team the best chance to win. It’s that simple.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic but you show me MSU and Nebraska and I’ll raise you Rutgers, Michigan, Duke, Iowa,.....

We were great against Iowa, ran for about 180 yards and threw the game-winning TD against one of the best defenses in the league.

Michigan...we had no running game due to Larkin retiring, yet we still led until the final minutes. Amazing!

Duke kicked our ass. Twice. Deal with it.

Rutgers, smutgers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT