ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley

Re: One guy I'd hate to see land there

Great coach. Just wondering why you wouldn't want to see him land there? It's not like when all of the Chicago schools decided to suck at hoops that NU got good. I would love to see the area schools get real good and get college basketball back on the radar around here.

Damaged goods. Then again, if Kelvin Sampson keeps finding work .........

With all due respect, he's more of a Bob Hurley protege than a Coach K protege.

After her last two hires, the "experienced" Wainwright and Purnell, how could anyone trust Jeanne Ponsetto to pick another coach for DePaul? Huge pressure to get this one right with a new arena coming on line. It may the one chance DePaul has to get relevant again in Chicago

Hoping all area schools get good?

You make a good point, Julescat. There is a part of me that would like to see the competition again. Also, true competition helps build the Chicago basketball "brand" which helps everybody.

OTOH, the selfish Cat fan in me wants to see DePaul remain in the dumps. I'd like to see NU become the DOMINANT team in the area and the recruiting benefits that come with that.

That goal isn't out of the realm of possibility with the path Billy Blue has taken over the last 15-20 years. And if we're to believe the names thrown around as the next DePaul coach, most of them tell me the mess will continue. The only one that concerns me is Howland. I bet he'd have a real impact.

Originally posted by julescat:
Great coach....
You meant former UCLA coach Ben Howland, right? SI would disagree with you...it seems he allowed at least one guy even to intentionally injure teammates...and a lot more to many players...click...

Not the UCLA Way

Willycat posted last week, I think, a note about Mark Aguirre.

Were you serious about that Willy of just kidding around?

In Willy's defense

Aguirre is all over the my brief look at the DePaul board. Supposedly, he has suddenly been attending games this year, got his degree all of the sudden from some school and bought a place in the area.

Take those reports for what they are worth.

The Chicago Tribune (online article today 3/15) lists 6 potential DePaul coaching candidates. Besides Aguirre, Corbin & Howland, TAVARAS HARDY is included. He is likely too young (?) but it would be great to have an NU alum in the head coaching position at a rival school

Did I say that Medill? If true, then it is either a joke or a bad guess. Thinking that Corbin would be their safest choice but Hardy would likely be a popular one, even with his inexperience.

I could be imagining it Willy...wouldn't be the first time.

Aguirre was one of Isiah Thomas' bench coaches at NY and got good grades for his effort.

I might be Tyrone Corbin's biggest fan. Watching his rise from (literally) driving the school bus in South Carolina, through his DePaul career, and catching on with an NBA team which at the time was a long shot.Just a tremendous story for a standup guy.

My concern with either, if I was DePaul, is the recruiting piece. It's a different animal.

Fair enough Medill. there was also some mention that Aguirre needs to get his degree before coaching at DePaul or any other school.

NCAA does NOT require that a HC hold college degree!

Originally posted by willycat:

...there was also some mention that Aguirre needs to get his degree before coaching at DePaul or any other school.
Not sure about DePaul's internal rules, but apparently the NCAA does NOT require that a college head coach holds a college degree.

Following the appointment of Eddie Jordan in the Spring of 2013 as Rutgers mens basketball HC, a controversy erupted when it became known that he did NOT have a college degree. An official statement released by Rutgers stated that,

"While Rutgers was in error when it reported that Eddie Jordan had earned a degree from Rutgers University, neither Rutgers nor the NCAA requires a head coach to hold a baccalaureate degree."

I doubt the rules on this matter have changed since that time.

Rutgers Coach Lacks Degree (WSJ)

There is a total lack of buzz about the new/old coach of DePaul although the coach of Simeon had words of praise which could be important if he funnels some players to him. The hire won't help DePaul draw any more fans UNLESS he can win right away. Purnell actually left him some talent. We';ll see what he does with it. I believe the Cats are due to play them at Allstate this coming season.

I think DePaul has sunk so low that it is difficult to attract a name coach to go there. Leitao was actually successful during his first stint at DePaul, as he was at Virginia before injuries did him in, so DePaul certainly could have done worse, imo.

Hurley and Drew

Supposedly, the info that has dripped out of DePaul's process was that Hurley and Drew turned down offers. So either the DePaul has continued to dive or they were incredibly cheap.

People keep talking about the buzz with Leito. As usual, I think that's an overrated measurement.

Leito isn't the greatest hire in the world, but they could have done worse. I think Hurley would have been a roll of the dice. They know what they have in Leito and it has worked to some extent ... better than the last two hires.

The best part of the DePaul process was that Tim Floyd was the last of four candidates interviewed. It seems his daughter lives here and he interviewed without DePaul getting permission from UTEP or Floyd telling his AD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT