ADVERTISEMENT

If you were an NBA GM: Dekker vs. Kaminsky

Sec.112

Jun 17, 2001
I'm curious about thoughts on these two at the next level.

I believe Dekker and Kaminsky are rated relatively near each other. I saw one mock draft that has them within five spots of each other.

If you were a NBA GM, and your decision was down to the two Badgers who would you choose?

I think Dekker's skills, especially for the next level are much better than Kaminsky's. He's got a better outside shot. He moves much better, and he probably has more versatility for a roster.

However, if my decision was down to one these two guys, I'd probably take Kaminsky, knowing what little I know. The reason is simple. Dekker has too many games where he somewhat disappears like he did last night. (And I'm not writing this simply because of his performance last night. I meant to throw this out there on Sunday.)

With Kaminsky, you're going to get what you have on most nights. In the right system, I think his talent with translate well to the NBA.

I think Kaminsky is the safer bet for the right coach. Dekker has a bigger upside, but I could very easily see him bombing much faster.

1) Kaminsky is the better outside shooter statistically (42% vs 33%).

2) While I think Decker is more NBA ready right now for the reasons you stated, I think Kaminsky has the greater upside as an NBA player and I would take Frank.

My concern with Kaminsky is they say your NBA position is determined by defense. Sure he may be able to create mismatch issues for teams, but I don't know where he would play defense. Last night, he looked more dominant than you'd expect simply because Duke didn't really have any other big besides Okafor (who is clearly lead-footed) to put on him, but an NBA team wouldn't have that issue. I think he could be a rotation big that stretches the floor next to a dominant guy with no range (like DeAndre jordan, rudy gobert, etc) who could make up for his defensive issues. I might be more anti-Frank than i should be based on McDermott's flop of a rookie season (great college scorer with athletic concerns)

Dekker certainly looks like an NBA athlete, has size to spare, etc. I'm concerned with him that he might not be that skilled of a shooter or driver to make an impact anywhere. His shooting in the tourney was somewhat flukey, and he had a few badly missed 3's last night that make me question his range. Hate to compare all white players to other white players, but he seems to have a similar build and athleticism to Gordon Hayward, if less skilled an offensive player.

Kaminsky is agile, very good near the basket, and has a good outside shot. I don't see why those skills wouldn't transfer very well to the NBA.

Originally posted by pawildcat:
Kaminsky is agile, very good near the basket, and has a good outside shot. I don't see why those skills wouldn't transfer very well to the NBA.
Sort of like Kevin McHale with an outside shot. It will take him a few years to adjust his shot for the NBA and work on his defensive skills.

Will Perdue played 12 seasons in the NBA and I don't see him as being better than Kaminsky at any facet of the game, frankly.

Perdue I think was bigger and more solidly built but no where nears as mobile. I think he reminds me more of a Brad Miller type.

Originally posted by hdhntr1:
Perdue I think was bigger and more solidly built but no where nears as mobile. I think he reminds me more of a Brad Miller type.
This could be a good call. Think we'd all agree, though, than Frank needs to hit the weights a bit if he's going to hold his own at the next level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT