ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Illinois week press conference notes

mshelton33

Jun 16, 2021
Braun just wrapped up his comments, another long one. Here are my initial notes, a full notes article will be up this afternoon.

This year is Braun's last as play caller, staff evaluations to come after Illinois but balance for the bowl game: Braun said that he will hire a defensive coordinator this offseason and relinquish play calling duties. He said that if he were to keep them beyond this year it would harm the program and be "selfish", but that he'll still call plays against Illinois and for the bowl game. Nothing official yet but keep an eye on Tim McGarigle as a lead candidate for an in-house promotion to the DC role. He's been a great resource to Braun as the long-time linebackers coach this season.

In terms of staff-wide evaluation, Braun said that process will begin after Illinois but was sure to qualify that he'll balance the team's success in a bowl game against their eventual staff changes.

"Those conversations and thought process will start after Illinois," he said. "We're going to be very conscious and make sure that we do a great job of staying present and being at our best for whatever bowl opportunity awaits us."

Two spots left in Class of 2024: Braun said they have two slots left in this current class, and this is a direct cause of COVID eligibility as waves of players could make the decision to return. This would take Northwestern's class to just 13 players as it stands, with a lot of their young depth undermined by transfers and previously small classes, but you can't take players for roster spots or scholarships that aren't there. I'll take it a step further and say that Braun is already counting Timi Oke's commitment, and they'll aim for 14.

I have calls with Alex Green and Hayden Eligon, two WRs who visited last weekend, this afternoon and I think they could very easily fill the spots that Braun mentioned. I heard that there is space for both players before their visit, but I don't have confirmation of that after Braun's comments today. Recruiting staff is working and waiting on current players to inform the team of their decisions before offering or taking commits for spots that aren't there.

"It's unique," Braun said. "We probably have room for two more commitments in the class as it looks on paper. We have to continue to bend our knees and stay flexible in terms of how we continue to push forward."

Braun wants a comfortable spot for the Hat at their facility: It's Hat week and Braun is aware of where that trophy currently resides.

"It's been a great learning opportunity to ask the staff, to ask our leadership council this morning, what the rivalry means to them," he said. "The consistent message is 'Coach, we want the Hat back. It's time to bring the Hat back.'

"There's extra emotion when a trophy is on the line. You want to make sure that trophy has a comfortable place in your facility and stays in your facility. Great opportunity for our guys this week to go battle their tails off and bring the Hat back to Evanston."

He credited Bielema and his staff for their work recruiting Illinois and Chicagoland, and said it's crucial for those in-state recruiting matchups to perform at a high-level in, and win, these rivalry games. For the first time in a long time, Illinois has broken Northwestern's hold on in-state talent and zero of the 11 current Wildcat commits hold an offer from the Illini. That's something Braun clearly wants, and expects, to change and it starts on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News