ADVERTISEMENT

"Incident that happened on a recruiting trip" (Lathon)

FeralFelidae

Sep 1, 2003
The announcers in the NU-Illinois game happening right now just stated that Lathon's offer was pulled over "an incident that happened on a recruiting trip."

That's more information than I've ever seen leaked before. Are the announcers privy to details about the incident?

Nobody else thought this was a very strange, specific thing for the announcer to say?

It appears he does have some info. Suffice it to say, as tough as this might make things for us, NU absolutely did the right thing.

What was it? Bad enough to get his scholarship revoked? NU doesn't do that unless it was egregious.

It appears he does have some info. Suffice it to say, as tough as this might make things for us, NU absolutely did the right thing.
Agree completely. Whatever it was, the scholarship wasn't revoked over spitting on the sidewalk.

I generally leave 20-25%. does that make me weird?

ZD7VLhP.gif

Reactions: NURoseBowl
I'm not saying. I'm just defending NU here, with good reason. If that isn't sufficient for others to take at face value, I understand.

I'm not saying. I'm just defending NU here, with good reason. If that isn't sufficient for others to take at face value, I understand.
If it's that bad then it shouldn't be leaking to WildcatReport posters or to Big Ten Network announcers.

No he didn't. He earned his degree at Northwestern and is now playing at Tennessee Tech as a grad transfer. I don't believe his scholarship was ever "freed up" for Collins.
Sorry but he stated to the coaches and the rest of the world that he was transferring. leaving the program = quitting the program.

Sorry but he stated to the coaches and the rest of the world that he was transferring. leaving the program = quitting the program.
And yet he never did (until he graduated). By Vassar's telling, he received "encouragement" from the coaching staff to transfer before he ever broached the subject himself. After being humiliated by said coaching staff in front of the team.

That sure isn't Lathon's story, and claims that somebody at Northwestern falsified his time cards to justify pulling his schollie seem credible and troubling to me.

Vassar has made other claims that have already been proven false, so....

And yet he never did (until he graduated). By Vassar's telling, he received "encouragement" from the coaching staff to transfer before he ever broached the subject himself. After being humiliated by said coaching staff in front of the team.
That's a new one... "humiliated in front of the team", really, just how? Likely didn't transfer because no other program offered a scholarship.

That's a new one... "humiliated in front of the team", really, just how? Likely didn't transfer because no other program offered a scholarship.
According to Vassar, after playing a minute of garbage time on the wrong side of a blowout against Nebraska, Collins flat-out told him, "Johnnie, you f***ing suck," in front of the team.

Two days after that, according to Vassar, Ryan Humphrey and Armon Gates sat with him and asked him if he had considered transferring from the program.

They tried to bully Vasser but his mother encouraged him to get his degree and hold the university to its word.

I can’t wait until you find out about the Civil Rights Act. You’re gonna be so mad! The sixties are gonna be tough. Hang in there, 1959.

I wish you knew him because you would never say these things to his face. Nothing new for the defenders of the great race.

Say what to his face? The part of the allegations he and his lawyers made that weren’t true (he was a top recruit in the county, etc)? That’s a fact...not a matter of debate.

Since so many people seem to know, why not throw us chumps a bone and tell us?

At least let us know, is it anything worse than our President has done?
I made it clear I’d say in person but not on a message board and leave politics out of it.

This new article from the Daily doesn't name names, obviously, but it sure seems to have all the hallmarks of Lathon being the unidentified "athletic recruit" described here.

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2019/...llege-gender-bias-and-failure-of-due-process/

The two men, an athletic recruit and NU student at the time of the alleged incidents, claim in separate complaints to the agency that they were denied a fair Title IX process and are accusing the University of gender discrimination. Northwestern opened two separate Title IX investigations — one after the recruit was accused of sexual violence and one after the student was accused of sexual assault.
and

The athletic recruit accused the University of discrimination on the basis of race, sex and age, as well as retaliation. He was accused of sexual violence against a student and apparently received disciplinary action from Northwestern. He is asking NU to “reverse & expunge the Title IX findings and/or allow” him “to have due process for the Title IX proceedings.”

“Either process would allow [redacted] to reinstate his name, character and reputation so he can be admitted into a Division 1, high major university,” the complaint reads. “This reverse process should also amend [redacted] ability to be admitted into a prestigious university with reputable academic, afford more career prospects and increase his earning potential.”​

Reactions: IGNORE
This new article from the Daily doesn't name names, obviously, but it sure seems to have all the hallmarks of Lathon being the unidentified "athletic recruit" described here.

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2019/...llege-gender-bias-and-failure-of-due-process/

The two men, an athletic recruit and NU student at the time of the alleged incidents, claim in separate complaints to the agency that they were denied a fair Title IX process and are accusing the University of gender discrimination. Northwestern opened two separate Title IX investigations — one after the recruit was accused of sexual violence and one after the student was accused of sexual assault.
and

The athletic recruit accused the University of discrimination on the basis of race, sex and age, as well as retaliation. He was accused of sexual violence against a student and apparently received disciplinary action from Northwestern. He is asking NU to “reverse & expunge the Title IX findings and/or allow” him “to have due process for the Title IX proceedings.”

“Either process would allow [redacted] to reinstate his name, character and reputation so he can be admitted into a Division 1, high major university,” the complaint reads. “This reverse process should also amend [redacted] ability to be admitted into a prestigious university with reputable academic, afford more career prospects and increase his earning potential.”​
They can thank the Obama administration for this, given the guidance sent to schools to give the benefit of doubt to the alleged victims.

Interesting that this involved another student at the time, particularly given the timing of another unexpected transfer....

and

Interesting that this involved another student at the time, particularly given the timing of another unexpected transfer....

Well, this seems to line up w my logic. Only difference is that the he said / she said seems to have turned into a record and has attached itself to Lathon.

I, for one, hope Lathon gets his day in court, or wherever, and a chance to clear his name. In a day of metoo and Brett Kavanaugh, I feel the male gender has lost the innocent until proven guilty American presumption.

Yes, gcg, I know private institutions don’t have to follow the Constitution. Doesn’t make it right in my book. Those same organizations can also be sued for slander or libel, and justly so IMHO.

I hope we learn more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT