ADVERTISEMENT

InsideNU: Lathon admission revoked...

Still a lot of speculation...always interesting that no matter what it was other schools seem willing to take a chance. This is from the St.Louis Dispatch...who really had no more info than what we have already seen.
"While it is unclear why Lathon and Northwestern are parting ways, other high-major programs are already very interested in bringing in Lathon for next season. Oklahoma State immediately jumped in with a scholarship offer. There is also speculation that Lathon, a native of Grandview, Missouri, could also hear from the in-state Tigers as well."

Can anyone tell me this isn't a first for NU? I've been a STH for 20+ years, and I can't think of anything comparable.

Late May?!?! After a commitment 11 months ago?!?!

Somebody put the kid in a bad position. I don't care how bad he messed up his last semester.

When was Brodja (spelling??) rejected by admissions? Was it much earlier?

All you guys did was call me a troll from the minute I came on here. I know exactly what happened. Been closer to the program for more than about 95% of you for 30 years. It has nothing to do with admissions. I can’t say what specificially happened,
because it isnt exactly appropriate but he qualified academically. The young man made a young man mistake, and was screwed over by others involved. I havent seen a program have worse luck in the history of sports. I feel for Collins and staff and the rest of the team but come November there are games to be played and we have to find a way to come together and create some serious chemistry. I will be cheering. Until then the countdown to our main sport begins. See you all at Ryan Field.
Go Cats!!’

I just can't understand how it would result in a scholarship being revoked rather than him being disciplined on campus. And Collins was talking about him as recently as wednesday?! I don't get it. This is Venric Mark level of weirdness

Reactions: NUCat320 and 2388bb
Who said we “can kiss Collins goodbye”? Making stuff up again? Nothing out-of-line with other posters posting about *if* it’s an admissions issue and showed concern about Collins. That’s pretty normal and not an overreaction. Fitz51’s post on the other hand...yikes!! Nothing like telling a slew of other fans that they suck. True fandom, eh?

Do you have willycat on ignore or something? Maybe show ignored content first and then you can come back and apologize to me.

When was Brodja (spelling??) rejected by admissions? Was it much earlier?
More and more this doesn't sound like an admissions thing but something more personal. Just wondering how bad could be, if Oklahoma state has already offered. Then again it's Okla. St. Does the name Underwood ring a bell?

Do you have willycat on ignore or something? Maybe show ignored content first and then you can come back and apologize to me.
Sorry Villox but if you don't think this hurts NU athletics, you're greatly mistaken. Also not being able to get his #1 recruit , can't make Collins a very happy camper or employee.

Sorry Villox but if you don't think this hurts NU athletics, you're greatly mistaken. Also not being able to get his #1 recruit , can't make Collins a very happy camper or employee.

I didn’t say it doesn’t hurt. But you put the blame on the admissions office and said it would drive Collins away. You don’t even know what happened.

Reactions: Hungry Jack

Ahh...there’s the breakdown.

Tell you what, I’ll apologize when you get Fitz51 to apologize to me. lol In other words, it’s never happening.

I didn’t say it doesn’t hurt. But you put the blame on the admissions office and said it would drive Collins away. You don’t even know what happened.

Apparently, reading comprehension is optional in this thread.

I always miss the memos.

Im just as sad as all of you. I just don’t think it is fair to Jordan, his family, or NU to disclose what happened. I think you can all believe that to be fair. The guy isnt a criminal, lets just leave it at that. I wish him all the best. If Ash can dish and Gaines can work on his dribbling we can be a middle of the pack team. Lets stay positive cat nation.
Go Cats

Wow. So taking something willycat said somehow translates into, “Jesus Christ, am I glad this board doesn’t accurately represent NU fans.” Sorry...that’s still a major overreaction.

Wow. So taking something willycat said somehow translates into, “Jesus Christ, am I glad this board doesn’t accurately represent NU fans.” Sorry...that’s still a major overreaction.

It’s ok to admit you were wrong you know.

I always miss the memos.
Somewhere in this thread , I stated that it appears that it wasn't related to academics but something personal. Think we should all leave it at that and move to the next LG recruit.

Somewhere in this thread , I stated that it appears that it wasn't related to academics but something personal. Think we should all leave it at that and move to the next LG recruit.

So, you throw out pure unsourced speculation (even throwing in Collins future at NU for good measure) and then tell people they should leave it at that after the fact?

Got it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikewebb68

Tell you what, I’ll apologize when you get Fitz51 to apologize to me. lol In other words, it’s never happening.
“Ok, ok, you got me. I was wrong. But this other guy, he was more wrong. Wronger. Bigly wrong. If you get him to admit he’s wrong, I’ll apologize for also being wrong. But it’s fake news, people. Never going to happen. Because I’m less wrong.”

Ok then.

I just can't understand how it would result in a scholarship being revoked rather than him being disciplined on campus. And Collins was talking about him as recently as wednesday?! I don't get it. This is Venric Mark level of weirdness

Yeah, a revoked scholarship and an Alan Cubbage statement implies something more serious than "a young man mistake."

Uh, that’s exactly the same thing Fitz51 said. He said the people here do not represent the average NU fan and that’s a good thing.

*One* person here. Not "the people here", meaning everyone...and he meant it negatively. That was ridiculous. I'd say there's few bigger fans than those of us who spend time talking about the most cursed basketball team in history.

Classic! Is that from the Book of Matthew?

I always miss the memos.

Same with the Sermon on the Mount.

This is the kind of crap (if it's an admissions thing) that's going to make it very hard to keep Coach Collins. What Coach in their right mind would want to deal with this kind of thing on a regular basis?
Welcome to the insanity of NU. Kevin Coble, Jason Tsirstis can attest to that.

He graduated High School as you can see from Twitter. Maybe we celebrated too hard and got in trouble. Remember when Harvard and some other school revoked student acceptances for stuff they posted on Facebook. It sucks for us and Jordan but time to move on. Obviously it was bad enough for Butler to stay away but not for Ok State. Good luck to him and better luck for us. Now lets get some transfers in and Go Cats.

Kind of a sweeping generalization to make about an enormous faculty. I think the stereotype of nerdy-school-professors resenting athletics sounds good in theory, but almost every major school has grant seeking, research-heavy scholars on their staff that are largely apathetic about sports. I don't think any of my professors at NU resented the sports teams, nor did they give a damn about them. They were too busy trying to get publications and teach their classes. My sample size is limited, but I doubt there is sweeping resentment

I'm sure there is some resentment. Hell, although I love some college sports I think spending is way over the top at Division I schools right now. That said, it's not as if the NU sports program is drawing resources away from the academic side of Northwestern and its $8 billion endowment. Professors at most colleges would love to be in the shoes of the faculty at Northwestern.

Reactions: ubercat
I socialize with NU professors and deans and none of them are connected to sports. They knew NU made the tournament, but probably couldn't name a player on the team. They are not critical of sports, but they do worry that the commitment prevents students from having a full academic experience.

They do say that within the university, to ambivalent faculty, Shapiro pushes sports as a partial solution to the NU diversity challenge. That say every revenue sport kid is an academic exception (their words, not mine) and so the current argument is that supporting sports with more flexible admissions can help with diversity.

Knowing the sentiment of some I posited a possibility.

I was not being critical of faculty and I do not find fault with faculty who don't embrace all that D1 sports brings to a school like NU.

I don’t get this ambivalence. Do they not understand that strong nationally exposed successful athletic teams 1) increase donations and 2) increase student applications? Both of which should ultimately benefit them.

I don’t expect them necessarily be leading the cheers in Cat purple on game days, but c’mon it is your employer. Success if one area typically results in overall reputation gain for any school or corporation for that matter.

Fact is, the students NU brings in as athletes graduate. Not only that, but most have very successful post graduate careers and continue to liberally hype NU academics. They are some of the best brand ambassadors NU has.

Maybe some of them should get out of their self contained bubble and enjoy everything a world class University has to offer.

Fact is, the students NU brings in as athletes graduate. Not only that, but most have very successful post graduate careers and continue to liberally hype NU academics. They are some of the best brand ambassadors NU has.

Classroom performance of NU revenue sports athletes is not well understood. To me, it is the most impressive aspect of NU sports.

I'm not a big Pat Fitzgerald fan, but the team culture that he's created whereby C's are not accepted by peers is really something. Maybe Stanford and Vandy have the same culture, I don't know. But it seems as though the athletic teams have proven their side of the argument again and again through classroom performance.

I'm sure there is some resentment. Hell, although I love some college sports I think spending is way over the top at Division I schools right now. That said, it's not as if the NU sports program is drawing resources away from the academic side of Northwestern and its $8 billion endowment. Professors at most colleges would love to be in the shoes of the faculty at Northwestern.
It's ten billion and counting

I don’t get this ambivalence. Do they not understand that strong nationally exposed successful athletic teams 1) increase donations and 2) increase student applications? Both of which should ultimately benefit them.

I don’t expect them necessarily be leading the cheers in Cat purple on game days, but c’mon it is your employer. Success if one area typically results in overall reputation gain for any school or corporation for that matter.

Maybe some of them should get out of their self contained bubble and enjoy everything a world class University has to offer.
Graduation rate is a poor proxy, but a good enough measure of student success and one of the things I am most proud of re NU Athletics.

The faculty ambivalence is just the nature of the beast. Higher education is full of older, largely liberal types who generally don’t believe in the education value of sports. The best one can hope for from faculty at a traditional research institution is a respectful coexistence. I think we have it at NU, more or less.

Reactions: Fitz51
Graduation rate is a poor proxy, but a good enough measure of student success and one of the things I am most proud of re NU Athletics.

The faculty ambivalence is just the nature of the beast. Higher education is full of older, largely liberal types who generally don’t believe in the education value of sports. The best one can hope for from faculty at a traditional research institution is a respectful coexistence. I think we have it at NU, more or less.
This board is amazing. Lathon gets revoked, and it's fairly well known that it had nothing to do about flunking a test, and the Board has started dogging admissions and somehow has attached professors as the reason. I know a couple professors and honestly they really don't give a damn other than the couple I know find football games fun and aren't going to put their nose in the athletic department. Nonetheless, the conspiracy theorist on the board can't be stopped. (The moon really is a disk, we never see the other side)

More importantly, I can't process the thought that the program is now doomed over Latham not attending. My God, what is wrong with this board? Same crap when Stina bolted. All I know is that this is a competitive program and offers a prime spot and Collins will fill the void adequately. Last time he replaced Stina with Bmac. There is an opportunity for someone, and someone will take it. No big deal.

Butler really liked him last summer and he “is not an option” for them. Makes me think it’s not academics.

I agree with the Turkmenistan that there is an overreaction manifest by all the doom and conspiracy theorizing. All we really know is that the admission is revoked due to some type of incident that likely has nothing to do with academics. We need—and will find—a lead guard. There is talent on the roster even without Lathon.

I agree with the Turkmenistan that there is an overreaction manifest by all the doom and conspiracy theorizing. All we really know is that the admission is revoked due to some type of incident that likely has nothing to do with academics. We need—and will find—a lead guard. There is talent on the roster even without Lathon.
So just to make sure I have it straight in where “doom” is appropriate. 10-3 football program, but only 1 NFL draft pick (we somehow correlate being great college football players to being high NFL picks, yet we all know that isn’t always true) ... DOOOOOOM, it’s political, NU coaches don’t have connections, what are we going to do. But 15-17 NU basketball loses 4 star, top 150 national recruit in late May, after all viable players are signed and sealed with other programs, no doom because one time Collins found a replacement for another point guard once, who was recruited by Collins predecessor and decommitted in March, which is a heck of a lot different than the last week of May.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT