ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Blackmon

He’s got the entire US covered. I don’t like our chances now with nova and cal in the mix. Don’t see byu landing him.

Do we know if he recently visited anywhere else besides Miami and NU?

He’s got the entire US covered. I don’t like our chances now with nova and cal in the mix. Don’t see byu landing him.
I wouldn’t worry too much about nova they’re not the same nova with Jay wright they’ve been garbage since he’s been gone.

Interesting developments with Miami. I think they are down to two scholarship players (Nijel Pack and Matthew Cleveland). So Larranaga will be building a team almost from scratch through the portal. He's already added two PFs so they still need 2-3 guards and I assume are offering Blackmon a lot of playing time. If he's still deciding between NU and Miami, I guess the question is how important it is to him to know who's on his team. At NU the roster, particularly at guard, is set while Miami still is adding pieces.

So crazy how much more stable NU is than a minor power like Miami. Clearly there are intangibles in Miami that any young man with money in his pocket will like, and it's starting to look like there is now plenty of playing time available too. He could be "the man" down there, but unless they start to add some more good pieces, this could be a single-digit-win team.

Meanwhile, NU is stable, NCAA-tested, and full of smart vets, and the playing time is STILL there. I know what I'd pick, but of course I'm biased.

Use whatever size-of-fish/size-of-pond metaphors you want here.

Interesting developments with Miami. I think they are down to two scholarship players (Nijel Pack and Matthew Cleveland). So Larranaga will be building a team almost from scratch through the portal. He's already added two PFs so they still need 2-3 guards and I assume are offering Blackmon a lot of playing time. If he's still deciding between NU and Miami, I guess the question is how important it is to him to know who's on his team. At NU the roster, particularly at guard, is set while Miami still is adding pieces.
I think it’ll come down to money. Miami isn’t a blue boood and they’re year to year success with all the turnover is going to have a lot to do with how well they can attract a team of well-compensated good transfers any given year. If they offer to pay him very well and build a group to play with that way, that’s the value add offer. If the money is middling or he cares more about the proven basketball opportunity, we’re the play.

Obviously a million other factors that could come into play, like Chicago vs South Beach.

I think it’ll come down to money. Miami isn’t a blue boood and they’re year to year success with all the turnover is going to have a lot to do with how well they can attract a team of well-compensated good transfers any given year. If they offer to pay him very well and build a group to play with that way, that’s the value add offer. If the money is middling or he cares more about the proven basketball opportunity, we’re the play.

Obviously a million other factors that could come into play, like Chicago vs South Beach.
Then we lose…hard to imagine any other outcome if that’s the deciding factor, which it’s more likely to be than the weather.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I just think it's crazy that if you throw everything out except the basketball situation, NU wins easily. It's strange to be in this position.

Of course, you can't throw out the non-basketball stuff. I'm sure Miami with a lot of money is a lot of fun - or at least more fun than Chicago with some money but not nearly as much.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
If that message board post is accurate (huge If, I know) - it seemed like the main concerns they had were around playing time. Otherwise, they liked Coach L and the NIL bag was right. If those guards are shipping out, it appears that Blackmon is gonna get those minutes.

I thought it was interesting that that post noted about the family not liking coaches that scream. While Collins has several memes of him losing his mind, I don't think of him as much of a "screamer" as he was in his younger days. However, perhaps that's aided by having a much more veteran team in the last two years that didn't necessarily require it.

I just think it's crazy that if you throw everything out except the basketball situation, NU wins easily. It's strange to be in this position.

Of course, you can't throw out the non-basketball stuff. I'm sure Miami with a lot of money is a lot of fun - or at least more fun than Chicago with some money but not nearly as much.
What about the pro possibilities. If he plays in the B1G, has a good year and the team get to the Big Dance, Would that improve his chances of being drafted? That has to matter for him, right?

What about the pro possibilities. If he plays in the B1G, has a good year and the team get to the Big Dance, Would that improve his chances of being drafted? That has to matter for him, right?
Sure, but some could say the same about Miami/ACC. I feel like NU has a shot, but I'm worried that Miami will give him more of what he's craving. That stupid message board post from the "uncle" is doing a number on me! Though if Blackmon comes to NU, I guess we'll have get used to that uncle being around.

Reactions: NUCat320
Sure, but some could say the same about Miami/ACC. I feel like NU has a shot, but I'm worried that Miami will give him more of what he's craving. That stupid message board post from the "uncle" is doing a number on me! Though if Blackmon comes to NU, I guess we'll have get used to that uncle being around.
Maybe that isn't worth it. Think about it. Overly involved family member only creates drama which could really impact the small locker room of a BB team.

Reactions: drewjin

Our checks actually cash. Miami’s…..not so much

How is that different than the ACC?

I think he would have committed to NU by now if he was going to. Hope I am wrong.
I am also of this opinion as I think in most cases a decision is made close to the data of being on campus. If the place you are visiting is the place for you, you probably decide quickly after that.

Of course we don't have much info about this guy. I know little about the young man and my brain is (probably unfairly) being biased by creepy uncle. But ultimately, if I see he decided to go elsewhere, I will think we might have dodged a bullet. I don't care for 20 points a game if it does not fit the culture. We are not a program of 5 star athletes. And even those bomb under bad chemistry, a la NC Pete Nance's team 2 years ago. We need chemistry, attitude, lots of it.

From the uncle on the UM board,

A few updates about my nephew.

1. He is down to Miami and Northwestern
2. Miami is definitely not NIL poor. NIL will not be a reason he goes to NU over UM
3. Miami is making every effort and sending a coach to meet with my nephew today at Stetson
4. I am still staying out of this unless I am asked for an opinion as I am clearly biased and he’s family, so don’t kill me if this does not work out for UM.

The only real advantage is that NU only has 1-2 open spots on their roster so they can assure Jalen that he is the last piece, whereas UM has 5 spots to fill.

I think the big question is if he is willing to come along WITH the Oklahoma St Guard.

I think there's heavy smoke about the OK St guy and us. Idk if it's either or with these two...or if both would be takes.

Would mean probably a bench spot for your nephew along with Bethea if we get OK St guy, I would assume.
This is precisely the issue.

I’m not sure this uncle will be a welcome addition if Jalen B. decides to come to NU. I’m sure he would give good insights to the inner workings of the program but maybe too much info and perhaps not always accurate.
Actually, I find him rather intriguing. We are always so secret squirrel about everything. A little speculation, laced with a little information, dripping with UM fan drool. I try not to gossip in real life but come on this isa fan board and NU seems to really be in the think of it for a guy who looks like a swish for putting together a really competitive team next year.

This is like watching sausage being made. Coaches regularly deal with this in recruiting, I suppose, but rarely is a publicly talkative uncle involved. All I can figure is the kid is using the uncle as a way to apply plausibly deniable leverage. Can't imagine Coach L at Miami is too thrilled. His rep was pretty good in the DMV.

From the uncle on the UM board,

A few updates about my nephew.

1. He is down to Miami and Northwestern
2. Miami is definitely not NIL poor. NIL will not be a reason he goes to NU over UM
3. Miami is making every effort and sending a coach to meet with my nephew today at Stetson
4. I am still staying out of this unless I am asked for an opinion as I am clearly biased and he’s family, so don’t kill me if this does not work out for UM.

The only real advantage is that NU only has 1-2 open spots on their roster so they can assure Jalen that he is the last piece, whereas UM has 5 spots to fill.

This is precisely the issue.

Miami program is in chaos right now. The last two departures were part of their starting five. They are basically rebuilding the roster. NU a much more stable situation with a defined role. The uncertainty at UM has to be a plus for NU.

Reactions: macarthur31
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT