ADVERTISEMENT

Just something to ponder

On the other topic, are we really comparing the 12-13 team which lost 11 of its last 12 games with last year's team that reached the NCAA round of 32?

I love me some Swop, Cerina, Kale and Ajou....but, really?

When healthy (and eligible) that team had just as much talent.

Again, in the backcourt, the combo of Cobb and Hearn would have been just as good as BMac and Lindsey.

In fact, they would have been better defensively and had a viable PG reserve coming off the bench in Sobo.

Crawford and Swop are comparable to Law and Lumpkin (and better offensively).

Only position where the '12-13 team would have been weaker would have been at the center position (where would take Pardon over Olah any day).

That team arguable had a deeper bench w/ Sobo, Demps, Marco and Lumpkin.

Well Katotomic was.

Again, fully healthy and eligible.

What do you think would have happened last season if Law had gone down early to a season-ending injury, didn't gave the services of Lindsey due to (academic) eligibility and then Lumpkin suffered a season ending injury later in the season?

Not only that, Hearn also had some injuries issues that season - so the 'Cats suffered thru injuries or eligibility for 4 of their best players that season.

And if Lumpkin hadn't suffered a broken hand (after a bout of mono), he wouldn't have gotten a medical RS and there would have been no Lumpkin last season and likely no Tourney bid.

Don't know why some people still make it some that the program 4-5 seasons (before CC was hired) was still mired in a wasteland.

The program had made the postseason 4 out of 5 seasons (would have been 5 out of 5 but for all the injuries in 2012-13) and if they had been a little luckier on the injury front (or if the conf. hadn't been as tough as it was back then) may have broken the non-NCAAs streak first.

And while some may scoff at the NITs, there is something to be said for the consistency, esp. as the program historically only made the NITs once every 4-5 years (if that) when it had a SR-laden team.

Too many make still make it one or the other.

Think that program was in an upward trajectory under BC (even w/ having one hand tied behind his back when it came to his job status and facilities) where the program would have eventually broken thru.

And the same applies to the program under CC.

One diff. is that think the program (going forward) under BC would have been less prone to dips/valleys, but that the program under CC will have higher highs.

Overall (as I had stated before), prefer the program under CC (despite his Dook ties) as tend to place a premium on defense (and let's face it, you're going to limit the talent pool running the Princeton O).
Don't know why some people still make it some that the program 4-5 seasons (before CC was hired) was still mired in a wasteland.

The program had made the postseason 4 out of 5 seasons (would have been 5 out of 5 but for all the injuries in 2012-13) and if they had been a little luckier on the injury front (or if the conf. hadn't been as tough as it was back then) may have broken the non-NCAAs streak first.

And while some may scoff at the NITs, there is something to be said for the consistency, esp. as the program historically only made the NITs once every 4-5 years (if that) when it had a SR-laden team.

Think that program was in an upward trajectory under BC (even w/ having one hand tied behind his back when it came to his job status and facilities) where the program would have eventually broken thru.

One diff. is that think the program (going forward) under BC would have been less prone to dips/valleys, but that the program under CC will have higher highs.

Overall (as I had stated before), prefer the program under CC (despite his Dook ties) as tend to place a premium on defense (and let's face it, you're going to limit the talent pool running the Princeton O).

the program historically only made the NITs once every 4-5 years (if that)

Every 25 years actually.

While I think it's true that injuries were a major reason this seasons team faltered, I still think it had a awful lot to do with team chemistry. Probably will never know why but it sure looked like a few of the guys just weren't getting along. Also disagree that the 2012-13 squad was as talented as last seasons team. Cobb had limitations and Hearn was a over achieving walk-on and weren't close to being as talented as BMac and Lindsey. Crawford was the real deal but Swop was basically just ok and I would think that Law is about Drew's equal. finally Olah was just Olah and pardon is an overall much better ballplayer. saying that without Lumpkin they wouldn't have made the "Dance" is just plain wrong.

So BCs last team just wasn’t as good (no mention of injuries), but CCs is a question of chemistry? Interesting. Oh, that’s right, Bmac missed one and a half games. He was really on a tear before that though.

Swop was great. And Hearn who you glance over is the first NBA player since Esch, for Christ’s sake. Think anyone on this roster is gonna sniff the NBA?

Maybe CC can get some NBA talent on this team like BC did and we wouldn’t be in 10th place to go with his 11th, 9th and 10th other finishes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Katatonic
So BCs last team just wasn’t as good (no mention of injuries), but CCs is a question of chemistry? Interesting. Oh, that’s right, Bmac missed one and a half games. He was really on a tear before that though.

Swop was great. And Hearn who you glance over is the first NBA player since Esch, for Christ’s sake. Think anyone on this roster is gonna sniff the NBA?

Maybe CC can get some NBA talent on this team like BC did and we wouldn’t be in 10th place to go with his 11th, 9th and 10th other finishes.

The suck is strong in this Carmody coach.

Again, in the backcourt, the combo of Cobb and Hearn would have been just as good as BMac and Lindsey.

In fact, they would have been better defensively and had a viable PG reserve coming off the bench in Sobo.

Only position where the '12-13 team would have been weaker would have been at the center position (where would take Pardon over Olah any day).

It's a fun topic and all, but Devin Nunes called and needs you back in the office to finish up that memo you were working on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sec.112
Mystic always seems really angry that Collins has been successful. So irrational and ragey.

Angry he sounds but successful is not now I would describe ccc’s term at NU. He has landed better talent than recent memory and he brought us to the dance. Both to be commended. But his body of work in the results produced by the team is not ‘success.’

I like ccc but I have been concerned that he may not be a great coach. Great guy, great recruiter, yet to see evidence of great coach.

Reactions: Gladeskat and NJCat
Collins doesn’t have to be great at everything. He does what he does well and has to surround himself with assistants that fill in his weak spots.

He has been successful in a number of ways, all of which seem to feed the irrational hate in Mystic and a few others.

Sad. Very sad.

I don't know that you're winning the argument by pointing out that the only Carmody player in 13 years at NU was from that very small pool that wasn't recruited by the staff.

I liked Carmody, loved Hearn, but not sure that one wins you points.

Collins doesn’t have to be great at everything. He does what he does well and has to surround himself with assistants that fill in his weak spots.

He has been successful in a number of ways, all of which seem to feed the irrational hate in Mystic and a few others.

Sad. Very sad.

It’s not hate, and it’s perfectly rational. Just the facts, ma’am.

5 years:

1 postseason
3 losing records
3 of CCs 5 sos are weaker than any of BCs 13
First full team an rpi of 160 and dropping
Average conference finish 9th place

That’s not hate: it’s just crappy.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/northwestern/

I don't know that you're winning the argument by pointing out that the only Carmody player in 13 years at NU was from that very small pool that wasn't recruited by the staff.

I liked Carmody, loved Hearn, but not sure that one wins you points.

He was recruited. It was an arrangement. It’s not like they bumped into each other shooting hoops and struck up a conversation. Plus he coached him for 4 years. Katatonic made several good points and someone tried to lump Hearn into the pile with Ash and Brown and Vassar. Just a little reality check from the facts department.

Reactions: Katatonic
maybe some of what you said is true but to indicate that the program was on a upward trajectory is not. In Carmody's last season they went 13-19 and 4-14 in conference. yes they made the NIT four years in a row but still had losing Big Ten records each of those years. face it NU BB is in a much better spot with Collins at the helm then with any of the previous coaches.

How many winning B1G records does CC have?

And for the past 2 seasons. the B1G hasn't been as strong of a conf.

While I think it's true that injuries were a major reason this seasons team faltered, I still think it had a awful lot to do with team chemistry. Probably will never know why but it sure looked like a few of the guys just weren't getting along. Also disagree that the 2012-13 squad was as talented as last seasons team.

So, injuries were a major reason for this season being a loss, but wasn't for the 2012-13 season? lol!!

Injuries were more of a problem for 2012-13 with Cobb's suspension on top of that.

This is why it's been difficult to have a logical discussion - as certain things only apply to one and not the other.

Cobb had limitations

The biggest limitations Cobb had was staying healthy (and remaining eligible).

Cobb was one of the few NU players who could create his own shot, and despite being a 2, could bring the ball up the court and distribute it fairly well.

In addition (when healthy), he was a plus defender.

For having so-called limitations - Cobb (when healthy) was as good as Lindsey, and he didn't sulk and play lax D when things weren't going his way.

and Hearn was a over achieving walk-on and weren't close to being as talented as BMac and Lindsey.

Who cares if Hearn was a walk-on?

He was one tough SOB who had a bit of Jitim in him and could score in the paint.

Will BMac and Lindsey make it to the show?

And while due to BMac, the latter may have the edge when it comes to ball distribution, Cobb and Hearn are the better defensive duo by far.

Crawford was the real deal but Swop was basically just ok

Think Swop was more than just OK.

While it took some time for Swop to find his footing (playing in the Princeton O and playing w/ new players), he really started to come on before he got injured a little more than halfway thru the B1G slate.

Swop avg'd 9.7 ppg, 6.7 rpg (highest Law has avg'd is 5.8 rpg) and shot .451 from the field - which is a good bit better than what BMac, Lindsey or Law have ever done.

So Swop was a more efficient scorer than Law while being as good of a defender/rebounder, or in comparison to Lumpkin, as good of a defender/rebounder and a good bit more of a scorer.

and I would think that Law is about Drew's equal.

Which is what I had already stated (Law being the better defender and the Crawford the better scorer, but overall, a wash).

finally Olah was just Olah and pardon is an overall much better ballplayer.

Stated the same thing, but let's not totally dismiss Olah who became a pretty decent B1G center.

Remember, Olah was a frosh during the 2012-13 season while Pardon was a soph last season.

In Olah's 2nd year, he put up 9.1 ppg and 5.2 rpg and in his 3rd year avg'd 11.7 ppg and 6.9 rpg which is very similar to Pardon's #s for his 2nd and 3d years.

But even w/ similar stats, prefer a smaller, more agile center.

saying that without Lumpkin they wouldn't have made the "Dance" is just plain wrong.

Really?

How did this team look w/o Lumpkin (not to mention Tap)?

Lumpkin was not only a leader on the team, but as CC stated, the glue-guy (something the team sorely needed this season).

What they also missed was Lumpkin's D (esp. his versatility on being able to defend all 5 positions).

It's not like last season's team made it to the Tourney on the strength of their O (saw plenty of ugly, low scoring games which was won w/ D).

In terms of efficiency on O last season, the 'Cats were only 122nd.

When it came to defensive efficiency, the 'Cats were a much better 42nd.

This season, the 'Cats have dropped all the way down to 105th for defensive efficiency and to 175th on O - so,a far greater drop on the defensive end.

Speaking about offensive efficiency, that has been an issue for CC's teams and something that he will need to improve.

Last edited:
He was recruited. It was an arrangement. It’s not like they bumped into each other shooting hoops and struck up a conversation. Plus he coached him for 4 years. Katatonic made several good points and someone tried to lump Hearn into the pile with Ash and Brown and Vassar. Just a little reality check from the facts department.

That's not how Hearn described it when he wrote a multi-part article about his experience. But then every coach in college basketball missed on Hearn.

You don't know what the Falk you are talking about, but let's try to Foster goodwill. Otherwise, I predict a Carmody of errors
Really surprised that you and the "likes " seem to think that they would trade Collins for Falk, Foster or Carmody. Sorry but I do feel that I know what I'm Falking talking about.

Reactions: NUCat320 and NJCat
Just for some historical context: the declaration that the class of 2018 is the "best recruiting class in NU history" is debatable. The Rankin/Baldwin/Kirkpatrick/Leslie 1990 class was highly rated, with Rankin especially coveted. Also, the 1995 class was ranked by some services close to where this class is rated. Joe Harmsen was a top 50/top 75 recruit on most lists at the time. Nick Knapp was regarded as one of the best shooters in the class. Unfortunately, heart troubles ruined his career. Julian Bonner was also very well-regarded and hovering around top 100 status.

You heard the same things at the time as far as "turning the corner" in recruiting for Bill Foster and then later for Ricky Byrdsong. Time will tell with the current class.
At least this "turning the corner" includes having an actual NCAA tourney game (and win ) behind us.

Jaren Sina, MT I.
Jaren Sina was not a top 100. He was listed as a 3 star and #121 (if you had said top 150 you might have had a point but in BCs 13th year???) . And looking at his career at Seton Hall and GW indicates tht BMac was a better option. MT1 was a transfer (so doesn't really count as a recruit) and we know how that went.

By comparison, CCC got Law (4 star number 103) in his first class. And the incoming class has 3 top 150s and two of them are top 100

See this is why I started this post by saying its not about this coach or that coach. The program has been consistent the last 10 years in terms of wins /losses. The NCAA bid was huge but it should have happened years before, it didn't I get it...we are competitive yes but really have been for the last decade. My point is have we turned the corner and are we going to be a consistent upper echelon Big Ten team, are we going to the post season regularly or have we peaked and this is the best we are going to be.
Sorry but I don't think we had a shot for a bid before last year. Why? Losing record in the BIG. And the only time we didn't, we had a losing record overall. Last year we had that winning record in the BIG and 23 wins by the time we got our bid.

Collins' incoming class is right there with any NU class since the 1960's. I liked a lot of the players Carmody brought in as my former role as president of both the Jershon Cobb and Sanjay Lumpkin fan clubs attests.

I'm really excited about the incoming class in part for the exact reason a couple have posted: I haven't seen them play college ball yet so the guy I don't know is better than the one I do.

The buzz with Lathon and Kopp from NU is the exact same we heard about with Law and B Mac. We were told they'd start, they did, and they were pretty good for frosh. And they aren't the big prize in the class.

I know it's important to compare one recruiting class to another so you can justify the public hate felt for the coach you don't like.

However, for NU bball, grading the overall roster might be a better barometer. This year's overall roster is the most talented in a long, long time. Next year's, I believe, will be better.

NU is losing three guys who had big minutes and gains four guys who will get minutes, one of whom played the most minutes for his Big East team.

Plenty of talent there to gel and size and athleticism are better.
Actually we gain 6 or 6.5. Turner will be eligible. RAP will hopefully be healthy and Falzon might be more fully recovered. My potential concern is shortage of guards.

Just for some historical context: the declaration that the class of 2018 is the "best recruiting class in NU history" is debatable. The Rankin/Baldwin/Kirkpatrick/Leslie 1990 class was highly rated, with Rankin especially coveted. Also, the 1995 class was ranked by some services close to where this class is rated. Joe Harmsen was a top 50/top 75 recruit on most lists at the time. Nick Knapp was regarded as one of the best shooters in the class. Unfortunately, heart troubles ruined his career. Julian Bonner was also very well-regarded and hovering around top 100 status.

You heard the same things at the time as far as "turning the corner" in recruiting for Bill Foster and then later for Ricky Byrdsong. Time will tell with the current class.
Well best class in last 20 at least and likely the closes those other classes can come is maybe equal to this years class.

It’s not hate, and it’s perfectly rational. Just the facts, ma’am.

5 years:

1 postseason
3 losing records
3 of CCs 5 sos are weaker than any of BCs 13
First full team an rpi of 160 and dropping
Average conference finish 9th place

That’s not hate: it’s just crappy.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/northwestern/
HAHAHA! The hate is obvious in your compete inability to let it go and move forward. Don’t waste your time trying to rationalize your rage, therapy would be a better use of your time. ;-

Actually we gain 6 or 6.5. Turner will be eligible. RAP will hopefully be healthy and Falzon might be more fully recovered. My potential concern is shortage of guards.
I wouldn't count on much from Rap next year. He will have been away from competitive basketball for 2 seasons and need plenty of work to get his timing and legs under him. See him more of a long term project at this point.

Reactions: NUCat320
Jaren Sina was not a top 100...

Both Sina (and Cobb) were top 100-4 stars at the time of their commitments.

While Sina would have fit in the PO quite well, it's a bit of a stretch to think he would have outperformed BMac. NU clearly benefited from that trade off.

Reggie is a great success story! The power of high motivation and a strong work ethic should not be undersold.

While Sina would have fit in the PO quite well, it's a bit of a stretch to think he would have outperformed BMac. NU clearly benefited from that trade off.

That's my recollection as well.

Cobb had some physical gifts and a skill set that we had had not seen prior and haven't seen since. It can be a brutal sport and he broke down a bit.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
My current thinking on this year is that it was a combo of injuries and some key guys not understanding the opportunity, nor their role in helping the team make a success out of that opportunity. Big Ten seniors (other conferences too) sense the career clock ticking down and reach for the moment. They make key baskets, key stops, etc. When a opponent is down they step on that opponents throat. Haven't seen that at all this year.

On the other topic, are we really comparing the 12-13 team which lost 11 of its last 12 games with last year's team that reached the NCAA round of 32?

I love me some Swop, Cerina, Kale and Ajou....but, really?
We had a team that was thin before the in season injuries. We were down a scholly, Turner not eligible because of having to sit our for the transfer, Rap out really before season started and Falzon having lingering effects of his injury. We were down to 9 before we started. Throw in early foul trouble and then injuries and we were really depth challenged. Then the added minutes for guys and the the screwy schedule and we were an injury short of disaster. When those injurys occurred, we were toast.

Reactions: NJCat
Angry he sounds but successful is not now I would describe ccc’s term at NU. He has landed better talent than recent memory and he brought us to the dance. Both to be commended. But his body of work in the results produced by the team is not ‘success.’

I like ccc but I have been concerned that he may not be a great coach. Great guy, great recruiter, yet to see evidence of great coach.
And what percent of a coaches job is about the talent they bring in? Don't bring it in and it is touch being successful. Have enough and it is hard to not be successful

And what percent of a coaches job is about the talent they bring in? Don't bring it in and it is touch being successful. Have enough and it is hard to not be successful
It depends how you define "successful". Carmody was terrible at bringing in talent yet was a Big 10 Coach Of The Year and multiple 20-game winner. If success is defined as getting to the NCAA year after year, talent is more critical than x's and o's IMHO. Tim Miles is Exhibit A: he was on the hot seat after last season, brought in talent and now sits ont he cusp of the NCAA Tournament. He didn't become a better coach over the summer, he just got guys who could play at a high level. Same with Pat Chambers at PSU. Izzo wasn't a bad coach last season when he had a host of injuries, now the team is healthy with 2 future NBA players and a likely #1 seed.

maybe some of what you said is true but to indicate that the program was on a upward trajectory is not. In Carmody's last season they went 13-19 and 4-14 in conference. yes they made the NIT four years in a row but still had losing Big Ten records each of those years. face it NU BB is in a much better spot with Collins at the helm then with any of the previous coaches.

So, you're saying we aren't on an upward trajectory currently?

What do you think would have happened last season if Law had gone down early to a season-ending injury, didn't gave the services of Lindsey due to (academic) eligibility and then Lumpkin suffered a season ending injury later in the season?

Not only that, Hearn also had some injuries issues that season - so the 'Cats suffered thru injuries or eligibility for 4 of their best players that season.

And if Lumpkin hadn't suffered a broken hand (after a bout of mono), he wouldn't have gotten a medical RS and there would have been no Lumpkin last season and likely no Tourney bid.
Sounds sort of like this season

Reactions: hoosboot
While I think it's true that injuries were a major reason this seasons team faltered, I still think it had a awful lot to do with team chemistry. Probably will never know why but it sure looked like a few of the guys just weren't getting along. Also disagree that the 2012-13 squad was as talented as last seasons team. Cobb had limitations and Hearn was a over achieving walk-on and weren't close to being as talented as BMac and Lindsey. Crawford was the real deal but Swop was basically just ok and I would think that Law is about Drew's equal. finally Olah was just Olah and pardon is an overall much better ballplayer. saying that without Lumpkin they wouldn't have made the "Dance" is just plain wrong.

I think you and I have a different idea of what "talent" is. Reggie Hearn is playing in the NBA. As such, I wouldn't dismiss him as "a over achieving walk-on". I suspect our entire senior class hopes to be able to "over achieve" like Reggie. I'm likewise flummoxed by your disbelief over the suggestion that we may not have made the tournament without Lumpkin. If basketball was just about how many points you scored per game, ECat would be arguing that Lebron can't touch Pete Maravich in the GOAT conversation. "Heck, he may not even make my top 5 with the Pistol, the Ice Man, Nique, and Melo!"

Correction...the Cobb and Hearn backcourt would have been better defensively, but would have struggled to score anywhere nearly as effectively as BMac and Lindsey. Alternately, I think Crawford and Swop would have been better scorers, but Law and Lumpkin would have been subtantially better defensively.

This is pretty disingenuous to a great Wildcat.

You do know that Reggie is the only former Northwestern player currently on an NBA roster, right?

No one saw Hearn's game in high school. He was the biggest guy on his team so he played center. No one saw the skill set needed for guard or small forward.

Playing in Ft. Wayne and being more interested in academics didn't help either.

Correction...the Cobb and Hearn backcourt would have been better defensively, but would have struggled to score anywhere nearly as effectively as BMac and Lindsey. Alternately, I think Crawford and Swop would have been better scorers, but Law and Lumpkin would have been subtantially better defensively.

I would not take anyone over a fully-health Cobb. Prior to his senior year draft boards had him going middle of the second round. Collins openly talked about having the tools needed to play pro.

His body didn't cooperate.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1

Both were listed as three stars by the time they got here. I know at one time Cobb was listed as a 4 star but then dropped back. I never recall Sina as being listed as a 4 star and you have to be there generally to sniff top 100. Rivals listed him as #121. So by the time they were in a position to come (LOI) , neither was top 100. Whereas both Nance and Kopp after signing are still well into top 100 and Lathon is still a 4 star and well into top 150

No one saw Hearn's game in high school. He was the biggest guy on his team so he played center. No one saw the skill set needed for guard or small forward. Playing in Ft. Wayne and being more interested in academics didn't help either.

Definitely.

By the time he was an upperclassmen at NU though, it was clear Reggie was a talented player (regardless of work ethic, you can't land on an NBA roster without raw ability)...something Willy was quite dismissive of (and hence my response).

Last edited:
I would not take anyone over a fully-health Cobb. Prior to his senior year draft boards had him going middle of the second round. Collins openly talked about having the tools needed to play pro.

His body didn't cooperate.

Interesting take. It's hard to separate out the injuries, but it's hard for me to not pick BMac over everyone. That said, Cobb had some really special attributes...and really so do Hearn and Scottie. They are all very different players. I can't help wondering if Reggie could have had a special impact on Scottie. Or if a healthy Cobb and BMac could have made NU a perennial NCAA team. Basketball coaching is a bit of alchemy...it's not just piling up the highest ranked recruits or the guys with the best scoring averages that leads to wins. You have to be a bit of a magic mixologist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT