ADVERTISEMENT

Lathon to UTEP

Come tailgate with me this year and we can talk about it. I just don’t think it’s fair to put on here unless it comes out publicly.
I might have to take you up on that. I think you're a fellow New Trier alum, yes?

Reactions: lunker35
I was a huge fan of his too and was looking for him to fill Bryant McIntosh's shoes for the next 4 years at NU. When NU made the announcement, and at such a late time in the recruiting process, I knew it had to be something extraordinarily serious. Just can't figure out what it is with no clues in the public domain including police reports etc.
Sure seems to be plenty of leaks.

I'll explain why people are not saying what is going on, to protect Lathon. I happen to have a kid Jordan's age who is leaving next week for college and if he was in a similar situation there is no way I would want people talking about it. The only reason anyone here knows that anything happened in the first place is because NU had to come out and issue a public statement. The only reason it went beyond that here is that people wanted to believe that NU was in the wrong and people came to NU's defense confirming that nope, NU did the right thing.
This sucks. You make it sound like 'people' are trying to protect him, yet you say: "Just so everyone understands, this is shocking. There is a reason that all these programs passed on Lathon because there is cloud of allegations following this young man. That UTEP signed him shows only that they really don't give a damn". Which, of course makes us all think he's an axe murderer or something.

Not impressed

This sucks. You make it sound like 'people' are trying to protect him, yet you say: "Just so everyone understands, this is shocking. There is a reason that all these programs passed on Lathon because there is cloud of allegations following this young man. That UTEP signed him shows only that they really don't give a damn". Which, of course makes us all think he's an axe murderer or something.

Not impressed

Not impressed by what? That people on the board won’t spread allegations about a 17 or 18 year old kid that aren’t public. I’m actually dam impressed. But I’m not impressed with UTEP. Also this is not a state secret it just does not belong on a message board until it becomes public. If it ever does. Just go tailgate with Lunker. my guess is that everyone will know the nature of the situation in after 2 football games.

Not impressed by what? That people on the board won’t spread allegations about a 17 or 18 year old kid that aren’t public.

You won’t spread allegations. Instead, you’re just strongly insinuating that he did something horrible. Totally not the same thing...

Reactions: NU Houston

Not impressed

Meh.

As long as NU is lean at the point guard spot we're going to talk about this. The trigger was NU putting out the release that indicated his scholly was pulled for cause.

The kid is 18. I think it's fine that people's instinct is to protect him....and also that he's punished for doing something wrong, if that is the case. UTEP is pretty severe punishment.

The kid is 18. I think it's fine that people's instinct is to protect him....and also that he's punished for doing something wrong, if that is the case. UTEP is pretty severe punishment.

The issue here is that a couple people that say they’re trying to protect him are, at the same time, totally dragging him though the mud. Don’t say one thing and do the other.

The issue here is that a couple people that say they’re trying to protect him are, at the same time, totally dragging him though the mud. Don’t say one thing and do the other.
Apparently what he did was so very terrible that any coach offering him a scholarship deserves to be fired, but oh, we can't actually say what he did because that would unfairly impugn his reputation. :confused:

Apparently what he did was so very terrible that any coach offering him a scholarship deserves to be fired, but oh, we can't actually say what he did because that would unfairly impugn his reputation. :confused:

If he’s found guilty yes. Reading is a skill. Also people just keep digging up this thread for their own self serving reasons.

Not impressed by what? That people on the board won’t spread allegations about a 17 or 18 year old kid that aren’t public. I’m actually dam impressed. But I’m not impressed with UTEP. Also this is not a state secret it just does not belong on a message board until it becomes public. If it ever does. Just go tailgate with Lunker. my guess is that everyone will know the nature of the situation in after 2 football games.
As a UTEP fan, I'm not exactly sure how I should feel about this since I still don't know what Lathon did or didn't do. Without knowing what happened, in general I believe in second chances and I guess I'm tentatively happy that he'll get his second chance at UTEP. If you're not impressed with UTEP, then presumably you wouldn't be impressed with any school that offered him a second chance. Does that mean that you don't believe that Lathon deserves a second chance? What type of infraction would preclude the normally accepted notion of a second chance?

Reactions: axingfools1
My reaction to him attending a prep school would have been the same as my reaction to the UTEP signing. To give you an idea, here's something from Twitter on June 2:

Washington State, Cincinnati, SMU, and Virginia Tech are the latest to offer 2018 top-available PG Jordan Lathon, he tells me. Ohio State, Texas Tech, Gonzaga, and Nebraska have strong interest as well.

He ended up at UTEP.
For basketball, there are worse places to end up than at UTEP.

Oh come on.

I'll put UTEP's NBA players against NU's any day. NCAA appearances, no contest in UTEP's favor.

Have you been to El Paso? El Paso makes Gary look like Paris.

El Paso is prison without bars.

El Paso is Mall of America, no AC in July, all doors locked and Neil Sedaka playing in a loop.

Have you been to El Paso? El Paso makes Gary look like Paris.

El Paso is prison without bars.

El Paso is Mall of America, no AC in July, all doors locked and Neil Sedaka playing in a loop.
The idiot knows what he hears, not what he knows! Educate yourself before you open your mouth. Stop your bigot wsys.

The idiot knows what he hears, not what he knows! Educate yourself before you open your mouth. Stop your bigot wsys.
I have always been enamored with West Texas. Spent a memorable night sipping scotch at the Gage Hotel in Marathon. Camped at the south rim up in the Chisos at Big Bend. Forded the Rio Grande and slept out under the stars in Boquillas. Hung out at Marfa for half a day and toured the Judd Foundation museum. Ascended Guadeloupe Peak and almost got blown off by the desert wind. Would love to take my bride to Cibolo Creek some day.

Did they convict that bar owner in Terlingua?

Reactions: cat inkansas
If he’s found guilty yes. Reading is a skill.
As a UTEP fan, I'm not exactly sure how I should feel about this since I still don't know what Lathon did or didn't do. Without knowing what happened, in general I believe in second chances and I guess I'm tentatively happy that he'll get his second chance at UTEP. If you're not impressed with UTEP, then presumably you wouldn't be impressed with any school that offered him a second chance. Does that mean that you don't believe that Lathon deserves a second chance? What type of infraction would preclude the normally accepted notion of a second chance?

It’s not a second chance when they have not resolved the incident. It’s a school consciously looking the other way.

I'm from El Paso. Love it.
I'm with you Feral! I visited for the Sun Bowl game against UCLA and thoroughly enjoyed El Paso, particularly the hotels, bars, and restaurants. (Gary has nothing comparable!) Tyrell Sutton's mom happened to be on the same flight I was on out of Cleveland, and I really enjoyed chatting with her. Beautiful stadium and great weather as well

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I'm with you Feral! I visited for the Sun Bowl game against UCLA and thoroughly enjoyed El Paso, particularly the hotels, bars, and restaurants. (Gary has nothing comparable!) Tyrell Sutton's mom happened to be on the same flight I was on out of Cleveland, and I really enjoyed chatting with her. Beautiful stadium and great weather as well

So, you live in Cleveland?

Reactions: EvanstonCat

Me, too. I really enjoyed El Paso.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Me, too. I really enjoyed El Paso.
Didn't really get to see much of El Paso but the Sun Bowl Stadium was in a gorgeous area. Also FloridAlum threw a hell of a "Purple Party" but not sure if the restaurant was in El Paso or even Texas.

Didn't really get to see much of El Paso but the Sun Bowl Stadium was in a gorgeous area. Also FloridAlum threw a hell of a "Purple Party" but not sure if the restaurant was in El Paso or even Texas.

Thanks, it was in El Paso, just kind of out-of-the-way, absolutely needed to have a car to get there, but we still had 75 to 80 people for a great steak dinner. I will explain it to you sometime if you wish when I see you, but the short version of the story is that of all of the gatherings with which I have been involved, the one in El Paso probably set the record for how wonderful the restaurant management at was in bending over backwards to make sure our group had a great time.Those people were really great.

Thanks, it was in El Paso, just kind of out-of-the-way, absolutely needed to have a car to get there, but we still had 75 to 80 people for a great steak dinner. I will explain it to you sometime if you wish when I see you, but the short version of the story is that of all of the gatherings with which I have been involved, the one in El Paso probably set the record for how wonderful the restaurant management at was in bending over backwards to make sure our group had a great time.Those people were really great.
Florida,

I guess your experience disproves the notion that the trans-Pecos is "no country for old men"

Beto O'Rourke is from El Paso. He's the Democratic nominee for US Senate and has a fighting chance to beat Ted Cruz in November.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT