ADVERTISEMENT

Men's lacrosse

Go ahead and pick any ones you want
And what you see from that list is that we really do not have too many alternatives for new women's sports other than what we already have. . Water Polo, rilfes, rowing, skiing, equestrian, track and field and gymnastics.

Of those, the only new ones that seem even seem viable for NU are Water Polo and maybe gymnastics . (track and field is a remote possibility) . The others don't really seem viable at NU. As I said, not a whole lot of remaining options.

And what you see from that list is that we really do not have too many alternatives for new women's sports other than what we already have. . Water Polo, rilfes, rowing, skiing, equestrian, track and field and gymnastics.

Of those, the only new ones that seem even seem viable for NU are Water Polo and maybe gymnastics . (track and field is a remote possibility) . The others don't really seem viable at NU. As I said, not a whole lot of remaining options.
We could do like nearly any one of those and also add scholarships in other sports.

You’re using inanities to dodge the actual point. Plenty of other schools find more sports than NU does and have done so for many years. NU has more money now than almost all of those schools ever have. There is NO logistical or budgetary argument that holds water, they are simply choosing not to.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat

Beach volleyball. We even have a beach.

Reactions: Eurocat
We could do like nearly any one of those and also add scholarships in other sports.

You’re using inanities to dodge the actual point. Plenty of other schools find more sports than NU does and have done so for many years. NU has more money now than almost all of those schools ever have. There is NO logistical or budgetary argument that holds water, they are simply choosing not to.
No. While certain options might make some sense others do not for NU. We have very little land or places to put things that other programs can do easily. For example Hockey is probably impossible at NU. Simply no place to put it and the cost would be along the lines of the new FB practice facility. Venues at NU have been built or upgraded through donations. The money you talk of NU having can pay operating budgets but you are not going to pay for new venues with those funds. Reality is that if new facilities are going to be needed it will be a hard sell. So if new facilities are going to be needed, you have to have some alums that are likely going to have to champion the new sport.

You talk about all the money NU athletics has. Reality that is a relatively new situation. It really did not exist prior to recent BTN revenue shares. And unlike what you suggest, we have no where near as much to work with of other programs in the BIG (you know, the other programs we usually compete against) I would likely add most of the programs in the SEC. And our costs are significantly higher to do something than any other program in the BIG (higher scholarship costs, higher operating costs and higher cost of living for coaches)

I have no problem with the idea of wanting to add something like Men's LAX. I just recognize that there is a lot more to it than just deciding to do it. Furthermore, Title 9 adds a lot of complications. And before I would want to see Men's Lax added, I would want to see us fully funding the men's non revenue sports we currently have. Some have suggested shutting down a current men's sport to provide the scholarships for Men's LAX but the current sports they suggest are already underfunded as far a scholarships and to do so would just change one substandard program for another. The solution seems clear that the only way to do anything is to add additional women's sports.

The question is what they should be. Unless it is something that can use existing facilities it is likely a no go. It is nice that Men's Lax could use our current facilities but that does not help with that in order to add it, you have to have a way of adding women's sports and you have to have the facilities for them. And any you try to start has to be done from scratch. Most likely would seem to be gymnastics and/or water polo (OK, maybe rowing) and neither really works if they cannot be done using current facilities

Nice thought but not sure how you add either at NU. I don't believe that there are any bowling alleys on campus at NU. And as for pistol or rifle, I believe both are banned on campus. And if you allow women to have firearms, don't you have to allow men as well?
NU does not have golf course on campus but fields golf teams. There are plenty of bowling alleys near campus.
I already suggested Great Lakes Naval as a site for pistol and rifle. Weapons could be stored in their armory.
My daughter ‘03 had to travel to Milwaukee to practice diving because NU did not have complete facilities
I presented some low cost sports to help with Title IX compliance

Lacrosse World Championship is on ESPN 2 now . USA v Canada
Rules are different . The rules are made by all countries so the game is slower to give developing nations a chance but it is not as exciting

NU does not have golf course on campus but fields golf teams. There are plenty of bowling alleys near campus.
I already suggested Great Lakes Naval as a site for pistol and rifle. Weapons could be stored in their armory.
My daughter ‘03 had to travel to Milwaukee to practice diving because NU did not have complete facilities
I presented some low cost sports to help with Title IX compliance
Some things can be worked around while others are a lot more difficult. Golf tends to be different and much of the work is done outside of a course. and while a program might have a home course, I don't believe any programs actually have their own course on campus (if there are they are in the minority) so everyone is in the same boat. I mean a legitimate course is likely a couple hundred acres or more, costs a lot to maintain and really needs to be used by a lot more than the golf team, Bowling might be one that is possible. I feel shooting is a lot harder deal; as I think you would find competitive shooters are not going to be inclined to have the tools of their trade stored somewhere out of their control and you are talking the whole team having to go there every day for practice. Remember the allowable hours

I thought that the aquatic center was completed in 1987 and included diving and platforms. So why did she have to go to Milwaukee and how often? If it was only once a week or so to work on certain things that is one thing but it was every practice something quite different. And for shooting you are likely talking every practice and the whole team having to go Just saying certain workarounds are reasonable and others not so much. Sort of becomes, why are you really doing it? You are generally going after kids that other programs want (if you are going to be competitive) and if your program has a lot more constraints than other programs, good luck recruiting them

Last edited:
Some things can be worked around while others are a lot more difficult. Golf tends to be different and much of the work is done outside of a course. and while a program might have a home course, I don't believe any programs actually have their own course on campus (if there are they are in the minority) so everyone is in the same boat. I mean a legitimate course is likely a couple hundred acres or more, costs a lot to maintain and really needs to be used by a lot more than the golf team, Bowling might be one that is possible. I feel shooting is a lot harder deal; as I think you would find competitive shooters are not going to be inclined to have the tools of their trade stored somewhere out of their control and you are talking the whole team having to go there every day for practice. Remember the allowable hours

I thought that the aquatic center was completed in 1987 and included diving and platforms. So why did she have to go to Milwaukee and how often? If it was only once a week or so to work on certain things that is one thing but it was every practice something quite different. And for shooting you are likely talking every practice and the whole team having to go Just saying certain workarounds are reasonable and others not so much. Sort of becomes, why are you really doing it? You are generally going after kids that other programs want (if you are going to be competitive) and if your program has a lot more constraints than other programs, good luck recruiting them
NU's divers travelled to Milwaukee because NU lacked a 10 meter platform.I am not sure but think NU modified facility recently to include a 10 meter platform. They travelled 1-2x per week. I doubt Rifle/Pistol would practice daily. Storage of weapons would almost assuredly be in a secure armory at the range.

There are many schools that have their own golf courses, many on campus, others adjacent-Cornell(RTJGC), Yale(Yale) , Princeton(Springdale), Virginia Tech(Pete Dye River GC),OSU(Scarlet and Gray), Stanford, UVA(Birdwood)UMD-others too numerous to list. I would agree that most schools have arrangements with local courses. An organization I am a member of is rehabilitating Langston GC in The District of Columbia to be Howard U's home course. Most courses whether on campus or nearby have private or public play to defray costs.

Reactions: No Chores
The baseball program has been hapless for its entire existence. A hapless program in a second rate conference. I sort of reject the notion that NU can’t afford to pay for both programs given that other small schools have done it for decades and NU is in the middle of a massive explosion of revenue, but here we are. So I reject that it is necessarily a choice, but if made king for a day and ordered by God to choose between the two… it’s no contest.

Obviously in the real world all the past stuff the goes into it, including the Miller family money, makes that unrealistic in the real world.
We actually had Happ.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Is NU funding all its baseball schollies right now? I know in the past they did not, but I'm curious if that changed with the ballpark renovations.

NU's divers travelled to Milwaukee because NU lacked a 10 meter platform.I am not sure but think NU modified facility recently to include a 10 meter platform. They travelled 1-2x per week. I doubt Rifle/Pistol would practice daily. Storage of weapons would almost assuredly be in a secure armory at the range.

There are many schools that have their own golf courses, many on campus, others adjacent-Cornell(RTJGC), Yale(Yale) , Princeton(Springdale), Virginia Tech(Pete Dye River GC),OSU(Scarlet and Gray), Stanford, UVA(Birdwood)UMD-others too numerous to list. I would agree that most schools have arrangements with local courses. An organization I am a member of is rehabilitating Langston GC in The District of Columbia to be Howard U's home course. Most courses whether on campus or nearby have private or public play to defray costs.
Add Michigan and Penn State to the group of Big Ten schools that have excellent on-campus golf courses. As for platform divers, Olivia Rosendahl won the NCAA platform championship twice without a platform on campus. She also traveled to Milwaukee I believe.

OK, what are all the reasons NU should be really good at baseball?
Because we’ve always had talent but poor coaching for 3+ decades. We had a good coach for a handful of years and things were starting to change, but he made a choice to be with his young family. We’ve now made an incredibly bad hire but if we were to get the right guy there is no reason we can’t be consistently very good.

Because we’ve always had talent but poor coaching for 3+ decades. We had a good coach for a handful of years and things were starting to change, but he made a choice to be with his young family. We’ve now made an incredibly bad hire but if we were to get the right guy there is no reason we can’t be consistently very good.
Especially if we actually, you know, give out the number of scholarships that are allowed. Our baseball program has been going into battle with one hand tied behind their back. Probably part of the reason good coaches don't want to come and if they do, find it a better alternative to move on.

All that said, it could get us to be competitive in BIG. Nationally might be harder as we are not exactly in a warm climate

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Great for them but have to feel that theirs is a rare circumstance. Just that it would be pretty rare and the majority of the competition is in the same boat as NU.

Stanford.

Duke.

Rifle would be cool. Get some Annie Oakley types on campus!

I noticed that Navy won the Rugby National Championship. Cal had a stranglehold on that for years.

In my era, Navy was a dangerous team to play. They would play our "B Side" since they would not be competitive against our "A Side". They were fit, aggressive but inexperienced, often creating dangerous situations because of the latter. One of our props suffered a broken neck when a Navy wing forward(#6 or#7) rotated 90* to the scrum , collapsing the scrum. He suffered a fracture/dislocation of C6-7 without being paralyzed. He was transported to DC General, where he was told xrays were normal but the films did not show C6-7 because props typically have "no necks", with his shoulders obscuring C6-7. I was not allowed to see his films, so I transported him to G. Washington U where correct diagnosis was established.

West Point usually was coached by an English officer from Sandhurst, stationed there for that purpose

I don't have a problem with any that can realistically be done at NU. At issue is that many can not be realistically done. Maybe we can add Dragon Boat Racing if they can give schollies

Nearly a century ago NU had some kind of women's rifle program. Only reason I know is that when my mother-in-law died, her children found a Northwestern yearbook (from about 1926) that showed her picture and list of activities she'd participated in. And there it was: "Women's Rifle Team." (It may have said "Rifle Club" -- we no longer have the yearbook.)

It was a shock to all her children. Nothing could've seemed less in character for her. Wouldn't all of us parents wish to provide a posthumous surprise to amaze our offspring?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT