Mount Rushmore for NUMBB

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
My top four, in no particular order:
  1. Boo Buie (GOAT)
  2. Billy McKinney
  3. Josh Shurna
  4. Coach Chris Collins (CCC)
Runner-ups? Eschmeyer, Carmody, McIntosh, Tex Winter, Pardon, et cetera.

I am weighting accomplishments at NU heavier than what happened professionally/ in the NBA.

I was torn between Shurna & Eschmeyer. But, after rereading their Wikipedias over the past month, decided on Shurna.

Who’s on your Mount Rushmore? P.S. Happy Easter.

Great choices. Got to include Rich Falk, Great player and Ok coach for us for a half dozen years or so. BT director of referred for many years.
Can't disagree with that. He was my fraternity brother and friend, and I was there the night he set the McGaw Hall scoring record by dropping 49 on Iowa.:)

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
Great choices. Got to include Rich Falk, Great player and Ok coach for us for a half dozen years or so. BT director of referred for many years.
I kept it as four given it’s our Mount Rushmore. If you’re a comic book fan, then you could also consider this NUMBB’s Fantastic Four.

Would you replace Carmody, Shurna, or CCC with Rich Falk?

I’m just talking players:

Buie
Shurna
McKinney
Joe Ruklick (still holds career high scoring avg. per game. Before 3s)
Wow! I don’t recall if I’ve seen Joe Ruklick mentioned before on this forum. His career was incredible and he’s definitely in my top 4 now. He even had scruples.

I would bump Shurna and keep CCC given the historical implications.

Did anyone see these gems from his Wikpedia article? He helped Wilt get his 99th and 100th point, and he almost helped him get to 102/103. Wow!

Ruklick guarded Wilt Chamberlain in his first collegiate game with Kansas in 1956.[2][7]Chamberlain had 52 points and 31 rebounds,[8] and his scoring total remains a Kansas single-game record.[9] Ruklick countered with 22 points but fouled out with 9:30 remaining in the game. "I held him to 52", quipped Ruklick in 2002.[2]

Ruklick was selected by the Philadelphia Warriors in the second round of the 1959 NBA draft with the ninth overall pick.[5] In teammate Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game, he got the assist for Wilt's 100th point and played eight minutes.[10] Late in the game after Chamberlain has already scored 100, Ruklick missed two free throws,[11] stating afterwards that he intentionally missed the second in hopes that Chamberlain might rebound it and get 102 points.[12]

After Ruklick's third season with the Warriors, the team moved to San Francisco.[2] Averaging only 3.5 points and eight minutes per game in his career as a backup to Chamberlain, he asked to be traded in order to play more. However, the team refused.[2] According to Ruklick, owner Eddie Gottlieb told him, "We need you next year. Fans won't buy tickets if you have too many Negroes." Ruklick left the team over moral objections.[10]

Last edited:
Quit it with needling No Chores
Can't disagree with that. He was my fraternity brother and friend, and I was there the night he set the McGaw Hall scoring record by dropping 49 on Iowa.:)
You were a Delt?

It all makes so much sense now.

Still, he definitely merits consideration. Right now I can’t out Falk over my top 4 (now including Ruklick) and new runner
-up (Shurna).

His wikipedia page is also darned impressive for NU. I can’t put him over CCC right now. This may change over the years.

I’m aware of that functionality, sir! And I use it once in a while when I need to verify past truths.

I may have seen the name in passing before but I never researched what he did.

If the NCAA had let him play all 4 years, then his statistical accomplishments would be more impressive than Shurna’s and perhaps Boo’s. He averaged almost 20 PPG and over 13 RPG for his career.

For those of you who saw him play life: which modern player was his game most similar to?

I’m just talking players:

Buie
Shurna
McKinney
Joe Ruklick (still holds career high scoring avg. per game. Before 3s)
Nobody played defense until the 80s. Ruklick averaged 20 ppg in his three seasons on 44% shooting. He averaged 18 shots per game as a senior.

Michael Jordan maxed at 14.5 shots per game at UNC, two years before college hoops introduced the shot clock. (Pete Maravich averaged 38 shots per game and shot 44% in his career.)

As for OP, I’d probably choose Esch over Shurna to represent a different, and more miserable, era of the program.

As for the ‘Mount’ itself, I’d have CCC with his professor press conference specs. They’ve been a good addition.

Wow! I don’t recall if I’ve seen Joe Ruklick mentioned before on this forum. His career was incredible and he’s definitely in my top 4 now. He even had scruples.

I would bump Shurna and keep CCC given the historical implications.

Did anyone see these gems from his Wikpedia article? He helped Wilt get his 99th and 100th point, and he almost helped him get to 102/103. Wow!

Ruklick guarded Wilt Chamberlain in his first collegiate game with Kansas in 1956.[2][7]Chamberlain had 52 points and 31 rebounds,[8] and his scoring total remains a Kansas single-game record.[9] Ruklick countered with 22 points but fouled out with 9:30 remaining in the game. "I held him to 52", quipped Ruklick in 2002.[2]

Ruklick was selected by the Philadelphia Warriors in the second round of the 1959 NBA draft with the ninth overall pick.[5] In teammate Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game, he got the assist for Wilt's 100th point and played eight minutes.[10] Late in the game after Chamberlain has already scored 100, Ruklick missed two free throws,[11] stating afterwards that he intentionally missed the second in hopes that Chamberlain might rebound it and get 102 points.[12]

After Ruklick's third season with the Warriors, the team moved to San Francisco.[2] Averaging only 3.5 points and eight minutes per game in his career as a backup to Chamberlain, he asked to be traded in order to play more. However, the team refused.[2] According to Ruklick, owner Eddie Gottlieb told him, "We need you next year. Fans won't buy tickets if you have too many Negroes." Ruklick left the team over moral objections.[10]

Don't cheat by googling the question. Does anyone know in what city Wilt scored his 100 points. If anyone knows, that will be sweet!

Any NUMBB Mount Rushmore must include either Dutch Lonborg, who coached NU to two B1G titles and a national championship, or Joe Reiff, who led those teams as a two-time consensus All-American.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Thankfully there are no massive granite outcroppings in Evanston on the land owned by the Potawotami and/or Ojibwe.

But if there were, I suppose I'd ask them to carve big images of Boo Buie, Evan Eschmeyer, John Shurna and Billy McKinney up there.

And they can do a version of the Crazy Horse monument with Chris Collins on horseback, charging into battle.

Or maybe a plaque near the entrance to Welsh-Ryan. Twenty years from now.

Thankfully there are no massive granite outcroppings in Evanston on the land owned by the Potawotami and/or Ojibwe.

But if there were, I suppose I'd ask them to carve big images of Boo Buie, Evan Eschmeyer, John Shurna and Billy McKinney up there.

And they can do a version of the Crazy Horse monument with Chris Collins on horseback, charging into battle.

Or maybe a plaque near the entrance to Welsh-Ryan. Twenty years from now.
I like your first ideas better than your last.

Actually, I have to admit: @PurpleWhiteBoy’s idea so thoroughly crushed my original concept that I need to take a timeout from the board. My hat is off to you sir! Well done.

Perhaps permanently. I literally can’t top that post! To quote Andrew Huberman… “Wow.”

And I need to focus on more important things now that our basketball team is in the offseason.

If any of you need the Truth, just throw the CatMan signal up on the air.

Or shoot me a text!

(Mic drop)

✌️

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: IGNORE2
Don't cheat by googling the question. Does anyone know in what city Wilt scored his 100 points. If anyone knows, that will be sweet!
Hershey, Pennsylvania. Opponent was the NY Knickerbockers. Wilt was 28 of 32 from the line and I believe 36 of 63 from the floor. Darryl Imhoff was one of the centers for he Knicks. Warriors guard Al Attles was 10 for 10 from the floor that night -- and was booed every time he took a shot in the second half.

And that's without cheating!!!

Reactions: NUCat320
Last time I played there, Coach was the starter at the Glen Club. Loves to talk hoops with golfers wearing purple (thanks to Coach Inglis for my Northwestern team driver headcover!).

Mt Rushmore is misinterpreted. The designer rejected the original plan to use wild west figures and instead sculpted his favorite presidents. So any discussions such as this technically need to be your preferences and not the most significant.

As you were.

Mt Rushmore is misinterpreted. The designer rejected the original plan to use wild west figures and instead sculpted his favorite presidents. So any discussions such as this technically need to be your preferences and not the most significant.

As you were.
Wicker...who is your source for this? I was told that the original plan was to use Native american leaders faces on the mt rushmore facades. The original founding fathers of america. Not "wild west figures." Are you saying like billy the kid or butch cassidy and the sundance kid? Does anybody have the ability to confirm either way?? Not sure what exactly you meant by the wwf's.

Yes, Buffalo Bill, Lewis and Clark were among them. Maybe Wild West isn't what we were going for

Yes, Buffalo Bill, Lewis and Clark were among them. Maybe Wild West isn't what we were going for
"The idea of a memorial that would draw tourists to the area originated from South Dakota historian, Doane Robinson. Robinson's initial idea was to sculpt Western heroes such as Lewis and Clark, Buffalo Bill and Ogala Lakota leader Red Cloud."

Thats just some historian from South Dakota with an idea. He reached out to Gutzon Borglum, who had carved Stone Mountain and Borglum agreed to create Mount Rushmore with images of the 4 presidents.

Realistically, Lewis and Clark were explorers, Buffalo Bill was the west's PT Barnum and Red Cloud was an Indian. As much as I respect the historian for wanting to honor the Native American, most of America could give a crap about those people in the 1920's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT