ADVERTISEMENT

My almost-87-year-old Dad…

KelloggFireman

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2021
My Dad turns 87 next month. He’s a DePaul man, as was his dad before him. But as a Rogers Park native, Northwestern was always his second-favorite team. And that connection got strengthened when I went there for grad school…twice! (I’m one of 8, but the only one of their kids to go to a B1G school, though several of their grandkids have gone to the various public B1G schools, including one to soon-to-be-member UCLA.)

NU MBB has never won a B1G title in his lifetime. (They did win in 1933, when his own parents were newlyweds.)

NU MBB has only come in 2nd in the B1G once in his lifetime. That was in 1959, when he and my mom were newlyweds. (They celebrate their 65th wedding anniversary this fall.)

Would’ve been nice to have won a couple of those close ones and won the B1G outright. But to say this season is historic is an understatement. As great as 2016-2017 was, we really stepped it up a notch this year, ESPECIALLY compared to expectations.

Dad is happy tonight. Needless to say, so am I. GO CATS!!! So proud of these guys.

My Dad turns 87 next month. He’s a DePaul man, as was his dad before him. But as a Rogers Park native, Northwestern was always his second-favorite team. And that connection got strengthened when I went there for grad school…twice! (I’m one of 8, but the only one of their kids to go to a B1G school, though several of their grandkids have gone to the various public B1G schools, including one to soon-to-be-member UCLA.)

NU MBB has never won a B1G title in his lifetime. (They did win in 1933, when his own parents were newlyweds.)

NU MBB has only come in 2nd in the B1G once in his lifetime. That was in 1959, when he and my mom were newlyweds. (They celebrate their 65th wedding anniversary this fall.)

Would’ve been nice to have won a couple of those close ones and won the B1G outright. But to say this season is historic is an understatement. As great as 2016-2017 was, we really stepped it up a notch this year, ESPECIALLY compared to expectations.

Dad is happy tonight. Needless to say, so am I. GO CATS!!! So proud of these guys.
Thanks for sharing. Always so cool to read how emotional things can be for folks

We’re you a newlywed in 2016-17?

Reactions: KelloggFireman
I’ve been a football STH since 1996 (I was finishing my MSJ at Medill during that glorious 1995 FB season…was present for both the Notre Dame game and the Rose Bowl). During my 1st season as STH, took my then-60-year-old Dad to the Michigan game, which Brian Gowins won with a last-second field goal.

The fans around us stormed the field, dad and I looked at each other, shrugged, and said “Why Not?!” And we joined ‘em!!!

Looking forward to that type of memory with my own kids. At 7 and 9 they’re probably not ready for a field-storming, but in about 4 or 5 years they’ll be the perfect ages, so take note, Coach Fitz!

(Coach CCC, I’m going to try to be there Friday, but I promise I won’t storm the court for a quarterfinal win. “Act like you’ve been there before!” Which we obviously were, in 2017.)

Thanks for sharing. Always so cool to read how emotional things can be for folks

Nope…but I had a memorable NU marriage. Not only because I married an NU girl (WCAS ‘96), but because we got married on the day of the Iowa game in 2010. 11am kickoff so I planned to go, in my tux, with three groomsmen also in tuxes, for 1st quarter, then head to Wheaton for the wedding. (Needed to be at church by 2pm for photog, 3pm wedding.) The rain foiled us.

But we were in my car, listening to the end of the game…the photog is literally knocking on my car window and we’re all telling him to shut up…then Persa hits Fields for a perfect TD in the last seconds! GO CATS!!!!

(Shut off the car, ran in for pictures, did NOT hear the aftermath, that Persa tore his Achilles on that last play. Had to hear that on the dance floor later, from some of my wife’s gloating cousins - who grew up on Iowa farms, though none actually went to Iowa.)

We’re you a newlywed in 2016-17?

Nope…but I had a memorable NU marriage. Not only because I married an NU girl (WCAS ‘96), but because we got married on the day of the Iowa game in 2010. 11am kickoff so I planned to go, in my tux, with three groomsmen also in tuxes, for 1st quarter, then head to Wheaton for the wedding. (Needed to be at church by 2pm for photog, 3pm wedding.) The rain foiled us.

But we were in my car, listening to the end of the game…the photog is literally knocking on my car window and we’re all telling him to shut up…then Persa hits Fields for a perfect TD in the last seconds! GO CATS!!!!

(Shut off the car, ran in for pictures, did NOT hear the aftermath, that Persa tore his Achilles on that last play. Had to hear that on the dance floor later, from some of my wife’s gloating cousins - who grew up on Iowa farms, though none actually went to Iowa.)
I was hoping you had children getting married in 2023!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT