ADVERTISEMENT

My hazing reporting efforts

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
I've talked or texted with several sources regarding this hazing scandal, but right now I'm trying to get an active player, or former player who graduated recently to answer some questions. I've reached out to several.

While many current and former players have tweeted their support for Fitz, that's really not the issue. I don't think anyone disputes that Fitz is a good man. I'd like to ask if they knew of any hazing incidents that occurred while they were Cats, and, if so, whether Fitz knew about them. Really, whether the hazing occurred seems to be the most important question. While there was no evidence supporting Fitz's knowledge of the hazing in the investigation, Schill's statement last night opens the door to punishment because he should have known about it, whether he did or not.

So far, only one player emphatically stated to me that hazing did not occur while he was at Northwestern. Unfortunately, he graduated in 2012 so it may not be relevant here at all. Another player, who graduated nine years ago, did not directly deny that hazing occurred but said that players were never punished for poor performance or "forced to do something" while he was at Northwestern. No other players have responded to me as of yet. I think it's important to get a current or recently graduated player to say something.

I provide this only as context: I talked to a parent of a current player who said that the initial complaint came from a "massively disgruntled player" who had several issues, disciplinary and otherwise, during his time at Northwestern. You can decide whether or not that's victim shaming. Regardless, it doesn't mean that anything he said wasn't true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News