ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska -9.5

😂 Hardly… Better to be in has-been who will be again, than a never was, and never will be…talk about delusional.

46 conference Championships, Three Heisman Trophy winners, & Five national championships... Just stop.
Obviously it did because you're over here pounding your chest about how awesome Nebraska was back when no one on your current roster was even born. You should get out the VHS tapes of those glory days. Or maybe get a time machine so you can watch Nebraska football matter nationally live and in person. With Frost as your coach, it looks like that's the only way you'll get to see it. ;)

You really want to talk about players in the NFL…northwestern compared to Nebraska?… Really? 😂
No. I was responding to a Husker an who said that they had had great recruiting success over the last few years. Since joining the B1G, UNL has not had a first round pick. The other two schools in conference with that distinction are Rutgers and Indiana. I was not comparing UNL to Northwestern, but to the whole conference. For a fan of a team that’s had five consecutive losing seasons and hasn’t produced a first round pick in more than a decade to think their recruiting is great might indicate a bit of delusional thinking, but whatever.

Reactions: ricko654321
My wife actually talked to Scott Frost on Friday. Said he seemed anything but stressed. Pressure not getting to him too hard, not off the field anyway. Nebraska will roll.

Yeah, we can debate over whether Nebraska is a "brand" or not, but recruiting out of state certainly is not what I would consider a good definition, considering lots of schools that are in states that aren't football hotbeds recruit out of state.
NW doesn't recruit well...you finished in the top 10 one time in the B10 in the last decade. Top Portal kids aren't looking at NW - in fact your best player left in the portal from last year.

NW doesn't recruit well...you finished in the top 10 one time in the B10 in the last decade. Top Portal kids aren't looking at NW - in fact your best player left in the portal from last year.
No. Our best player is still on the team, and is projected as the best OT in the country and a first round pick.

Until Nelson gets another sack on him..and Tannor, and Mathis...we will see how good he is Saturday.
Whatever. Neb is a national title contender coming off their 3-9 season, what can I say? Will Frost finally have his first winning record at Neb?

Reactions: drewjin
Thats a pretty dumb statement.

Northwestern recruits very well considering the academic requirements eliminate at least half of the potential players, probably 75%.

Northwestern will be a net plus for attracting quality players via the transfer portal, other than the occasional superstar who wants more exposure elsewhere.

😂 Hardly… Better to be in has-been who will be again, than a never was, and never will be…talk about delusional.

46 conference Championships, Three Heisman Trophy winners, & Five national championships... Just stop.

Yes, Northwestern is on par with Nebraska the last decade otherwise it isn't on the same planet. Despite sucking lately Nebraska still has a national brand - look at recruiting. Rarely in state players but still can get good kids around the country.

Nebraska is top 10 in all-time wins and was at the top of CFB for 30 years. I get those days are over at the top but we will soon be a top 10 team consistently and it will start this year. Book it.
You've had 5 consecutive losing seasons and your recruiting reflects it. 26 3 stars out of 31 HS commits in the 2022-23 recruiting cycles. Not even top 40 recruiting results in consecutive classes. Made worse by the context of a 5 year history of unparalleled underachievement under Frost. At a revolving door program where coaches and players are consistently coming and going.

And you think UNL is on the immediate cusp of being a consistent top 10 team in the Country?

How about you shoot for Top 40 first? Maybe string together a few winning seasons on the way up? That would be a significant achievement given the reality of UNL football today.

GOUNUII

Obviously it did because you're over here pounding your chest about how awesome Nebraska was back when no one on your current roster was even born. You should get out the VHS tapes of those glory days. Or maybe get a time machine so you can watch Nebraska football matter nationally live and in person. With Frost as your coach, it looks like that's the only way you'll get to see it. ;)

This board is pretty thin skinned… Quiet entertaining.

You've had 5 consecutive losing seasons and your recruiting reflects it. 26 3 stars out of 31 HS commits in the 2022-23 recruiting cycles. Not even top 40 recruiting results in consecutive classes. Made worse by the context of a 5 year history of unparalleled underachievement under Frost. At a revolving door program where coaches and players are consistently coming and going.

And you think UNL is on the immediate cusp of being a consistent top 10 team in the Country?

How about you shoot for Top 40 first? Maybe string together a few winning seasons on the way up? That would be a significant achievement given the reality of UNL football today.

GOUNUII
New age there big guy with the transfer portal.

Casey Thompson, Ochaun Mathis, Trey Palmer, Tommi Hill, Marcus Washington, etc. etc.

Yes. Nebraska +320 to win the west
Northwestern +10,000
Max odds…sorry.
LOL. Pounding your chest over the odds. Good luck with that. Maybe someday you might actually win a B1G West trophy with Frosty but it's doubtful.

GOUNUII
Crooting ranking dont take into account the portal. Nebraska has gone big into the portal, they also added (high school rankings only)

5 star - Trey Palmer
4 star - Tommi Hill
4 star - Kaine Williams
4 star - Marcus Washington
4 star - Stephen Wynn
4 star - Chubba Purdy
3 star - Casey Thompson
3 star - Ochaun Mathis
3 star - Devin Drew
2 start - Isiah Garcia Castaneda - 640 receiving yards at New Mexico St
2 star - Omar Brown - FCS All American
2 star - Brian Buschini - FCS All American/Punter of Year
UR - Bleekroad

Most of these guys are already proven players at the FBS and FCS levels. No one expect Nebraska to be a top 10 team this year. If Frost doesn't get 7-8 wins though, he should be fired.

Is "quiet entertaining" like Stephen Wright, or maybe a soft-spoken musician? The actress who played the low-talker in Seinfeld?

Congrats to Nebraska for their big-time transfers. Hope they work out for you (though not Saturday of course). We got a transfer a few years ago that was the top QB in his class and he didn't work out. Sometimes those transfers are great, sometimes...not so much.

Hoping for a good game Saturday and a Northwestern win.

Ramsey was a more complete QB than Thorson; he had less talent around him than Thorson (esp. Thorson's best year), as well as having less talent around him compared to when he was at IU - which is a damning indictment of the state of the O under Fitz the past 5-6 yrs.

Reactions: Bwm57 and drewjin
The only stat that matters for a QB is wins. NU’s offense is designed not to maximize offensive stats. It’s designed to complement a dominant defense and strong special teams play to win games. Score enough points while prioritizing ball possession and field position over risk taking. That’s the way FItz wants to play. That is why it’s hard to judge an NU QB by any other stat than wins.

Disagree.

The O for so long has been an albatross around the D (needing the D to play stellar), and it's been a long time since the Cats have had a strong special teams.

If the program had an O as good as the D has usually been, would have won the B1G W sooner and wouldn't have had so many putrid seasons, along with all the bad losses.

• Love
Btw, pretty hilarious to see Husker fans puffing their chests due to the Cats having hit a dip...

Oh, how low have they fallen - lol

Reactions: DaCat
Btw, pretty hilarious to see Husker fans puffing their chests due to the Cats having hit a dip...

Oh, how low have they fallen - lol
Not trying to puff any chests. We know where we stand. Just see a lot of delusion around here that you guys will win. We’re really just trying to help people out to make the right decision. That’s Nebraska nice

• Haha
Reactions: DaCat
Not trying to puff any chests. We know where we stand. Just see a lot of delusion around here that you guys will win. We’re really just trying to help people out to make the right decision. That’s Nebraska nice
Can you point to the posts that you consider delusional in this thread that weren’t posted by Husker fans? I’m having trouble finding any, but I’m not Nebraska nice.

I think it’s delusional that Northwestern fans on a Northwestern board would have the audacity to think they might have even a shot at beating the mighty national brand Cornhuskers, mostly because Northwestern was historically terrible from 1972-1994 and Nebraska was great during the same time period.

I think that’s what he meant, but I’m from Kansas so I’m not as nice I guess?

which reminds me of an old joke I heard growing up: why is Kansas so windy? Because Nebraska sucks and Oklahoma blows.

[yes, I would not be surprised if Nebraska and many other states have a variation of this same joke]

Reactions: NUCat320 and DaCat
Ramsey was a more complete QB than Thorson; he had less talent around him than Thorson (esp. Thorson's best year), as well as having less talent around him compared to when he was at IU - which is a damning indictment of the state of the O under Fitz the past 5-6 yrs.
I'd take Thorson. Stronger arm. Better throws. Not as mobile but seemed more capable at leading the team. Maybe if Ramsey had not transferred in as a grad student, the leadership aspect might have been more even, as guys would have had a stronger bond with him.

Just my opinion.

I'd take Thorson. Stronger arm. Better throws. Not as mobile but seemed more capable at leading the team. Maybe if Ramsey had not transferred in as a grad student, the leadership aspect might have been more even, as guys would have had a stronger bond with him.

Just my opinion.
I think Thorson's reputation around here suffers a little bit because the expectations for him were higher. He started out so promising, but never really became elite despite 4 years of starting. He was very good, but he never became great.

I think Thorson's reputation around here suffers a little bit because the expectations for him were higher. He started out so promising, but never really became elite despite 4 years of starting. He was very good, but he never became great.
Also, the terrible injury made a big difference. While he was not a true dual threat guy, he had very good speed before he got hurt.

Also, the terrible injury made a big difference. While he was not a true dual threat guy, he had very good speed before he got hurt.
One thing that almost never gets commented on relative to Thorson was his ability to almost always get a yard on a sneak. He had size and pretty good leg strength. When the Cats needed that yard on 4th down, he almost always got it.

Can you point to the posts that you consider delusional in this thread that weren’t posted by Husker fans? I’m having trouble finding any, but I’m not Nebraska nice.
Hello. It's Game Day - 3 for the first time this season. Time to prognosticate.

Bug Eaters 21
Mouse Eaters 27

Good 45
Evil 0

Here is the SS Frost after we whup them in Dublin:

Fitz will find a way to pull it out in front of his clan.

Purple Power 27
Red Remorse 24

Hopefully Hilinski's status as "the guy" will have him clicking with the offense better than last season's quarterback committee.

I have to believe that the defense wants to prove themselves, especially against Nebraska after last season's effort.

The 'Cats will eat their Wheaties and bring their A-game. Will it be enough?

NU 23 - UNL 17

Northwestern
Wildcats 🍆 23
U Nebraska Lincoln
Vomiters 🤢 18

NU 16
Nebraska 13

In overtime.

Hilinski scrambles late in the game to put the Cats ahead, defense stays frosty to slay Frosty

Cats 28
UNL 24

49-3, Cats. Late sympathy field goal.

Since no one else has said this yet:

NU 31
NU 23

It is a first game, so confusion reigns.

On paper there is no way the Cats should win, but ….

Cats. 24
Huskers 20

Ireland’s Favorite Son - 24
Jack Frost’s Loser of a Son - 21
I counted a total of 3 guys that were realists in acknowledging this is most likely a defeat for the Purple. Oh crap I guess I’m pounding my chest again, and am I now standing on top of a mountain?! In Ireland?! Gosh golley I need to stop

The games against Michigan State and Nebraska were essentially over before some fans even turned the game on. We were manhandled on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

That doesn't seem like something that gets fixed in one year. On paper, we (Northwestern) are probably going to get smoked.

I'll be really happy if I'm totally wrong!

Reactions: SomedayHusker
The games against Michigan State and Nebraska were essentially over before some fans even turned the game on. We were manhandled on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

That doesn't seem like something that gets fixed in one year. On paper, we (Northwestern) are probably going to get smoked.

I think our OL and running game will actually be good this year. It comes down to whether the ridiculous gaps on defense are fixed and teams have to earn their points against us instead of exploding for so many big plays. We can burn clock on offense if our D isn't behind 21-0 before most people find their seats.

While I doubt we are suddenly going to bully teams ourselves, I feel like we have a good chance to at least be “not manhandled,” especially on defense. The transfers on the defensive front are all veteran guys with some size who, while not the most explosive pass rushers, should at least be able to be more physical against the run than we saw last year. Holmes is a big dude who played in a gap-control role at UMass last year, Johnson is a large dude himself, Brandt also brings some size. Davis at LB is also more of a physical, downhill guy than coverage guy.

The OL actually wasn’t too bad toward the end of the year in the run game, pass protection has to improve leaps and bounds.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
I counted a total of 3 guys that were realists in acknowledging this is most likely a defeat for the Purple. Oh crap I guess I’m pounding my chest again, and am I now standing on top of a mountain?! In Ireland?! Gosh golley I need to stop
You would have to understand the personalities of the predictors to know we have our own little Field of Dreams around here. Very few sober predictions, but still a lot of fun. Among fans who are famous for hijacking football threads with stories that have nothing to do with … you guessed it … football.

For a sampling of dead serious delusion I would direct you to the Husker Board.

The only thing keeping me from predicting a Husker cover are the teams’ history. We win so many games we shouldn’t and lose nearly as many head scratchers as we win. Shoot … we have no idea what kind of game we’ll get from the Cats on Saturday. And then there’s Nebraska’s history under Frost of finding ways to lose.

GOUNUII

Get. A. Life.

Reactions: iskaboo
One of the best parts of being a Wildcat fan is reading the posts on opponents’ fan forums the day after their team has lost to Northwestern. I am glad you were not chest thumping, because if the Cats do prevail Saturday, which is a possibility, you won’t be one of those fans making a fool of themselves (Northwestern Nice).
I also am glad you included my NU 31- NU 23 as one of the delusional posts you intuited.

Last edited:
LOL I was clearly having fun with the idea of making predictions by being overly specific but I'm not sure why, based on Nebraska's and Northwestern's history and the fact this is the first game of the year, you believe it's unrealistic to suggest the game will be close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT