ADVERTISEMENT

New Commit - Safety Steven Reese

Katatonic

Oct 23, 2004
Per 247Sports.

6-foot-2, 185 lbs; 4.48-s 40

Welcome!

This post was edited on 1/24 8:30 PM by Katatonic

Welcome to the program Steven. Every time Lou calls give him a good story.

Go Cats!!!

An added potential benefit of this commitment is establishing a connection with his high school, which has been completely dominant in Georgia for the past decade. Buford produces major D1 talent every year.

That is a good point. We have established recruiting networks in the five biggest D1 football talent producing states (Cali, Florida, Ohio, Texas and Pennsylvania) but I would say Georgia is the next most fertile state and we have only pulled players out of there occasionally. Stronger academic programs like Duke, BC, Stanford, and Georgia Tech all recruit heavily in that state. It would be nice if we can start establishing a presence there as well.

We have been less active in Florida as of late but it really ebbs and flows. We had six scholarship players on our roster from Florida last year out of 85 total. It's been higher in the recent past. That is a pretty high number.

Metro Atlanta usually has a bunch of guys with the talent and grades to succeed at NU, as evidenced by the fact of how many end up at Duke and Vandy each year. It's a good market for NU to be more involved in.

Originally posted by Catdude:
Metro Atlanta usually has a bunch of guys with the talent and grades to succeed at NU, as evidenced by the fact of how many end up at Duke and Vandy each year. It's a good market for NU to be more involved in.
This proves absolutely nothing for Northwestern, as neither of those schools has academic requirements anywhere near those at NU.

Originally posted by gocatsgo2003:

Originally posted by Catdude:
This proves absolutely nothing for Northwestern, as neither of those schools has academic requirements anywhere near those at NU.
That seems a fairly silly statement, GCG. If all of metro Atlanta were going to FSU and UF and UGa and LSU and Miss and Miss St, it would mean nothing. But, Vandy and Duke aren't taking anybody - they're requiring something beyond the minimim.

It's shocking to see the volume of D1 talent, even at awful, awful high school programs, that come of Metro Atlanta. NFL players everywhere. Perhaps Lil Spicoli is the next. I'd imagine his fast reflexes will help.

I remember Harbaugh recruiting the Atlanta area like quite while he was at Stanford.

Their 2011 roster (Shaws first year as coach thus the roster was essentially "Made by Harbaugh") had 6 kids from Atlanta and its metro on it. Surely they could have made it into NU.

And there were others Stanford went after but who chose to go elsewhere like Vandy, UGA, in other words there were even more candidates than just those six guys.

Don't forget Georgia Tech is an attraction for the Tech oriented kids and it's right there and I bet a few of those would have made it past NU admissions (though not all, GT seems to have Vandy level demands for admission, lower than ours, though not crazily so).

It's an area I would love for us to be involved in. But I am no recuiting expert so who knows.

http://www.gostanford.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=749928&SPID=127013&Q_SEASON=2011

Originally posted by NUCat320:

That seems a fairly silly statement, GCG. If all of metro Atlanta were going to FSU and UF and UGa and LSU and Miss and Miss St, it would mean nothing. But, Vandy and Duke aren't taking anybody - they're requiring something beyond the minimim.

It's shocking to see the volume of D1 talent, even at awful, awful high school programs, that come of Metro Atlanta. NFL players everywhere. Perhaps Lil Spicoli is the next. I'd imagine his fast reflexes will help.
1) Never said that there weren't good players with good academics in Atlanta. Just that kids going to Vandy and Duke doesn't prove that they're there, because those two schools really don't have many requirements (if any) beyond the NCAA minimums.

2) The problem for NU recruiting in Georgia is multifaceted -- the top players are most likely heading to the SEC regardless of academics, academics are by and large not as strong in the South, it's hard to convince kids from the South to come up to sunny Chicago, etc.

Glades may be right

So as it now appears that the nu recruiting teeter is now swinging back to the two star athlete, we should be able to make comparisons in the future using our recent but previous run on 4/3 stars.

Certainly the 3/2 star classes have thus far been much more impressive than the 3+ star classes.

But the jury is still out for another year or two imo.

It could just be that walker had a better eye for talent.

Whatever the case, our program has been "fetalized" and regressed with the high profile classes.

Something is wrong as Feli was right. I dont have the answers but maybe the two stars have a better work ethic? Hard to say but im more grateful for two stars at this point since 3+ star classes havent shown any evidence of mid level function in this league.

Go cats!

Re: I need a little help here

Originally posted by mikewebb68:
Can someone translate Turk's post for me?
Turk is sad that the guys we had put so much stock in didn't have the success we were looking for and is afraid that we have regressed back to the bottom 4 of the B1G while we were hoping to advance to the top 4.

Flip the result of all the last minute games we have lost over the last two years and we made it. Sadly, you can't do that.
This post was edited on 1/26 5:15 AM by Deeringfish

Re: Glades may be right

There was a lot of star inflation that had occurred for a bit. And guys that would have been two stars in the past were rated as three stars. Maybe the pendulum has swung back a bit on the ratings. So for a while, we had all three stars but now those same guys are twos so now we have the mix.

Re: I need a little help here

pretty sure we won a few last minute games in the SIX years prior to that. so is it "water seeking it's own level" or regression?

Not going to go all "Turk" on you here but I had lost a degree of confidence in the coaching after 2013, since they seemed to repeat mistakes that they had made (and occasionally gotten away with) in prior years. I had my fingers crossed that 2014 would be better.

I have now lost A LOT of confidence in this crew. we are much closer to Purdue and Indiana than we are to the "middle 6" if you want to call it that.

I'm hoping I am wrong. Im wrong all the time. Ask my wife, my boss, my kids etc. But as of right now I still think the emperor has no clothes. and I was one of the ones that was scornful of the kid (Feli) that pointed it out.

Originally posted by hdhntr1:
There was a lot of star inflation that had occurred for a bit. And guys that would have been two stars in the past were rated as three stars. Maybe the pendulum has swung back a bit on the ratings. So for a while, we had all three stars but now those same guys are twos so now we have the mix.
That was true for 6-8 yrs ago, but for the past 3-4 classes, there have been fewer 3-4* recruits as rated by Rivals (at least according to this one article).

From what I recall, 4 and 5 stars have had similar numbers each year. Maybe a few more fours recently but hard to tell. Basically it is a little deeper than the top 250. But in the past, there were originally about 1000 3 stars up through about 2008 or 2009. Getting a 3 star for us was a big deal. But in about 2010, we started pulling in almost all three stars. Orginally it seemed like we were recruiting better. But by 2011-12, it semed like there were just more three stars out there. Prior to then, we never had a no star recruit be rated as a three star but then, there were frequently given the third star. When the numbers were checked, there ended up being closer to 2000 three stars and the overall mix had as many threes as two. Just saying, maybe we are recruiting about the same and the pendulum is shifting back somewhat. Since the article is not listed, I so not have a feeling for what it says.

Originally posted by hdhntr1:
From what I recall, 4 and 5 stars have had similar numbers each year. Maybe a few more fours recently but hard to tell. Basically it is a little deeper than the top 250. But in the past, there were originally about 1000 3 stars up through about 2008 or 2009. Getting a 3 star for us was a big deal. But in about 2010, we started pulling in almost all three stars. Orginally it seemed like we were recruiting better. But by 2011-12, it semed like there were just more three stars out there. Prior to then, we never had a no star recruit be rated as a three star but then, there were frequently given the third star. When the numbers were checked, there ended up being closer to 2000 three stars and the overall mix had as many threes as two. Just saying, maybe we are recruiting about the same and the pendulum is shifting back somewhat. Since the article is not listed, I so not have a feeling for what it says.
You're generally correct, but you're way off with your numbers here. Prior to grade inflation, there used to be about 180 4-stars and 600 3-stars or higher. When RIvals decided to retrograde, those numbers increased to about 300 4-stars and over 1000 3-stars. One could figure that out by adding up 3-stars and 4-stars from position rankings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT