ADVERTISEMENT

New OC

Man I really hope this happens. And Gronowski. Could give us a shot at a couple skill players in the portal. And depending on what happens at OL coach we can get going on those transfers too, once we know what system to recruit OL for.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
The main thing I got out of the game was Gronowski is a damn good player and a dual threat as well. He is better than anyone we have that isn't named Bryant and he even gives Bryant a run for the money. Play selection was 50/50. which is fine, but I am hoping for a more pass oriented attack that opens up the run. Either way it looks that we will be in great shape if we do hire Lujan!!!

I'm excited to see what he brings to our offense. OC seems to be the spot where there's intrigue at the moment, so will be interesting to see who Braun/Lujan pick for that spot.

I watched most of the SDSU game today and my only criticism of the play calling was the drive with about 7 minutes to go in the gane. At that point, SDSU was up 23-3 and had been dominant on defense. The only way they could lose was by stopping the clock and committing turnovers. I was certain they were simply going to run every play, especially because they just got a first down. Instead they threw on first down (incomplete) and then threw a swing pass behind the line of scrimmage (possibility of not connecting and it’s a fumble) on second down.

It was very reminiscent of the Purdue game when we passed on first down at almost the same time and place in the game. Purdue intercepted that pass and what looked like an easy 23-7 win came down to the final minute and a defensive stop.

Last edited:
I watched most of the SDSU game today and my only criticism of the play calling was the drive with about 7 minutes to go in the gane. At that point, SDSU was up 23-3 and had been dominant on defense. The only way they could lose was by stopping the clock and committing turnovers. I was certain they were simply going to run every play, especially because they just got a first down. Instead they threw on first down (incomplete) and then threw a swing pass behind the line of scrimmage (possibility of not connecting and it’s a fumble) on second down.

It was very reminiscent of the Purdue game when we passed on first down at almost the same time had place in the game. Purdue intercepted that pass and what looked like an easy 23-7 win came down to the final minute and a defensive stop.
Agreed, and I was also nervous about having Gronowski in there so late in the game in case he got hurt (selfishly for NU transfer reasons!). However, I don’t think they got to where they are by making poor decisions.

I'm not too worried about playcalling. He's a young OC, experimenting in different situations is fine; throwing different looks than what's expected is fine.

I think the biggest thing that he's been known for the past 2 years is that he maximizes the skillsets of the available players to him, and of course QB development, the most important part of the job.

Reactions: IGNORE2
If by “discussed”, you mean that you first speculated about this on Nov 14, then yes. Kudos, btw. Information about the emergence of Lujan as the most likely OC came on Jan 4, both on the Rock and the free board at roughly the same time.

You seem to be angry that it was on the premium and free boards at the same time.

So what in my opinion? Go to many Rivals Big Ten Team boards, they don't even have free boards for fans, it's all pay to play.

Or if a free board exists it is dead

That said, other teams (Nebraska, Rutgers, Iowa, others) are like us.

I for one am glad we have a free board that sometimes scoops the pay board (and I say that as someone who for years has paid full price for a full subscription). In fact I am grateful the board exists at all and won't whine that the exclusive board isn't scoopy enough. But that's just me.

Thank you to the guys that get the job done.

You seem to be angry that it was on the premium and free boards at the same time.

So what in my opinion? Go to many Rivals Big Ten Team boards, they don't even have free boards for fans, it's all pay to play.

I for one am glad we have a free board that sometimes scoops the pay board (and I say that as someone who for years has paid full price for a full subscription). In fact I am grateful the board exists at all and won't whine that the exclusive board isn't scoopy enough. But that's just me.

I miss the rant. Nobody had anything like that.

LOL, you sensed anger from that? Life is too short to get worked up about something that silly. I was merely pointing out to coral that he needs to be more truthful in his posts on the free board where he references the Rock.

This one may be the worst journalism example I can find, worse than some of the Daily hack jobs. How many things could you possibly get wrong in an article?
That has to be an AI article. Sounds like what ChatGPT would say if you asked it to write about Northwestern's OC/DC search.

No way an actual journalist could put out an article like that...

It was very reminiscent of the Purdue game when we passed on first down at almost the same time and place in the game. Purdue intercepted that pass and what looked like an easy 23-7 win came down to the final minute and a defensive stop.

If you don’t trust your All-American Walter Payton Award QB with 40 starts throwing that pass to either your all-conference WR or all-American RB (there were two swing passes I remember, unsure which you’re referring to), then you should just put down the play sheet and stop coordinating offenses.

There’s not much to actually complain about if that’s the worst you can complain about.

The SDSU offense reminded me a lot of Braun’s defense — simple, easy to execute, nothing too terribly fancy but it’s effective (especially when you have premium personnel).

Gronowski was much more “fine” than “outstanding,” but I would still take him at NU in a heartbeat. He seemed to kind of slough off a question from the reporter about one more year chants… “uh… GO JACKS!” and muttering something about bringing the trophy back. Announcers were talking about a newly-formed SDSU collective putting together an NIL package to try to get him to stay, so a potential departure is at least on their minds.

If you don’t trust your All-American Walter Payton Award QB with 40 starts throwing that pass to either your all-conference WR or all-American RB (there were two swing passes I remember, unsure which you’re referring to), then you should just put down the play sheet and stop coordinating offenses.

There’s not much to actually complain about if that’s the worst you can complain about.

The SDSU offense reminded me a lot of Braun’s defense — simple, easy to execute, nothing too terribly fancy but it’s effective (especially when you have premium personnel).

Gronowski was much more “fine” than “outstanding,” but I would still take him at NU in a heartbeat. He seemed to kind of slough off a question from the reporter about one more year chants… “uh… GO JACKS!” and muttering something about bringing the trophy back. Announcers were talking about a newly-formed SDSU collective putting together an NIL package to try to get him to stay, so a potential departure is at least on their minds.
I did a little research on Gronowski. He is from Naperville (Nequa Valley). We already have a young quarterback out of I believe Naperville North. We have had a lot of players from the Naperville area over recent years. He is majoring in Civil Engineering. I think it’s pretty obvious that if the staff wants him, he will be here.

Reactions: Eurocat

I’m not sure why Gronowski would return to SDSU. There will be a new OC assuming Lujan comes here, and he has already won the highest individual and team awards in FCS. He is finishing his degree and I’m not sure if SDSU has graduate engineering degrees, but it would probably behoove him to use this opportunity for a master’s elsewhere.

Reactions: mickbula
I did a little research on Gronowski. He is from Naperville (Nequa Valley). We already have a young quarterback out of I believe Naperville North. We have had a lot of players from the Naperville area over recent years. He is majoring in Civil Engineering. I think it’s pretty obvious that if the staff wants him, he will be here.

Very aware. I’ve been pushing for NU to take him as a grad transfer for a couple months now (and that was before Lujan was reportedly headed to NU). Just makes a ton of sense on a lot of levels, plus you don’t often get the chance to add a guy with two years of eligibility and 40 starts under his belt.

I’m not sure why Gronowski would return to SDSU. There will be a new OC assuming Lujan comes here, and he has already won the highest individual and team awards in FCS. He is finishing his degree and I’m not sure if SDSU has graduate engineering degrees, but it would probably behoove him to use this opportunity for a master’s elsewhere.

The allure of going for 3 national titles as a starter plus playing football with your teammates. SDSU‘s newly-formed collective also already supposedly putting together a package to try keeping him around.

Yeah I wasn’t blown away by Gronowski in that game either. “Fine” is how I would describe his game. I thought his best stretch was the 2 consecutive TD drives in the 3rd quarter, made a few nice throws there. The pick was a bad one - late and weak throw to the corner hole vs a Cover 2 that was easily picked off by the safety and maybe could have been picked by the CB too if the safety didn’t take it. His accuracy was not great in the rest of the first half after that first TD drive. But then he seemed to take over in Q3, and once they got up 3 scores with how that defense was playing he didn’t need to do much, no reason to take risks. He looks like a pretty decent runner. He will prob need to step up the accuracy and processing speed a bit against B1G defenses though bc I don’t think our OL will win up front nearly as consistently as the South Dakota St OL did on Sunday. He will need to make quicker decisions here.

I hope he signs on - would be great to add the competition and depth to the QB room and could see him beating out Hilinski and Sullivan for the starting role.

Reactions: DaCat
Yeah I wasn’t blown away by Gronowski in that game either. “Fine” is how I would describe his game. I thought his best stretch was the 2 consecutive TD drives in the 3rd quarter, made a few nice throws there. The pick was a bad one - late and weak throw to the corner hole vs a Cover 2 that was easily picked off by the safety and maybe could have been picked by the CB too if the safety didn’t take it. His accuracy was not great in the rest of the first half after that first TD drive. But then he seemed to take over in Q3, and once they got up 3 scores with how that defense was playing he didn’t need to do much, no reason to take risks. He looks like a pretty decent runner. He will prob need to step up the accuracy and processing speed a bit against B1G defenses though bc I don’t think our OL will win up front nearly as consistently as the South Dakota St OL did on Sunday. He will need to make quicker decisions here.

I hope he signs on - would be great to add the competition and depth to the QB room and could see him beating out Hilinski and Sullivan for the starting role.
There were some skilled players in that game and I was particularly impressed with the size and agility of the SDSU Olinemen. They were creating some canyon sized holes and then running down field to block some more. But the one thing that was also pretty evident was the lack of overall speed on the field compared to the FBS game. I hope we land this kid and I think he can have some success, but there will be some adjusting to the speed. Of course, a good number of these FCS guys have made it to the NFL and have adjusted to that speed change, so I'm sure he can figure it out.

It seemed to me that Lujan/SDSU struggled a bit early to adjust to Montana’s 3-3-5 stack. That’s why you saw the corner sinking late on that pick, the Griz did some cool stuff with slants and walk-up’s, etc. SDSU eventually figured out that they could just run at them and get out with a W so Gronowski wasn’t asked to do a ton. In his defense a couple long splash plays weren’t made by his WR.

More about a full body of work than a single game. 40 starts, a ton of experience in the system, two years remaining, top-notch engineering student, local guy, etc.

It seemed to me that Lujan/SDSU struggled a bit early to adjust to Montana’s 3-3-5 stack. That’s why you saw the corner sinking late on that pick, the Griz did some cool stuff with slants and walk-up’s, etc. SDSU eventually figured out that they could just run at them and get out with a W so Gronowski wasn’t asked to do a ton. In his defense a couple long splash plays weren’t made by his WR.

More about a full body of work than a single game. 40 starts, a ton of experience in the system, two years remaining, top-notch engineering student, local guy, etc.
Pretty much exactly who you'd want to lead the first year or two of Lujan's system being implemented here while he fits his playbook to our players and potential recruits.

And if Gronowski gets beat out, that means that we found somebody with a higher ceiling who can make Lujan's system work better. Plus as we've seen, you almost have to have 2-3 workable QBs given injuries.

Engineering under grad and Kellogg MBA would be a recipe for success!

Montana also a schematically and talent strong team. He looked fine in a title game, all day...

A poster on EdgyTim [from his HS] saying Gronowski has other plans besides following his OC and that it will be interesting.

Thought that Fitz needed to entirely change his philosophy on coaching hires by hiring successful young coaches from lower divisions.

Finally took the first step with Braun, and glad to see that Braun is accelerating that process.

^ True, but not exactly going all in when not making the change at arguably the most important spot for the program - the OC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT