ADVERTISEMENT

Next coaching announcements

jensberg

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2006
Seems surprising if our linebacker coach is being elevated to defensive coordinator that it wouldn't have been announced already. Similarly, if we're going to hire the North Dakota State offensive coordinator why hasn't that been announced since they stopped their season well over a week ago.

Seems surprising if our linebacker coach is being elevated to defensive coordinator that it wouldn't have been announced already. Similarly, if we're going to hire the North Dakota State offensive coordinator why hasn't that been announced since they stopped their season well over a week ago.

Because if you weren’t going to do it quickly after the Illinois game then there’s no rush now.

Would imagine we get official word this week, as the next “milestone” date is a recruiting evaluation period 1/12. The pessimist in me wonders if the announcement is being held off until after the transfer window closes to minimize roster turnover.

Reactions: Inovacat

@lou v has the scoop. Check the Rock.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
Serious suspense these days waiting for the new OC to arrive and all the coaching changes to be completed.

Reactions: No Chores
Again, not true. Although I have no doubt that Lou will get “the scoop”, there is currently no thread on the Rock that discusses this or lays out what the OP asked. Why do you feel the need to mislead people?
The cure for cancer and solution to bring eternal peace to the Middle East also reside on the rock. Actually, I think those are on the premium bball board that Coral lobbied hard for.

Because if you weren’t going to do it quickly after the Illinois game then there’s no rush now.

Would imagine we get official word this week, as the next “milestone” date is a recruiting evaluation period 1/12. The pessimist in me wonders if the announcement is being held off until after the transfer window closes to minimize roster turnover.
How does it minimize turnover to have the players in limbo? If they know internally, it doesn't help and if they don't cant see it helping either

How does it minimize turnover to have the players in limbo? If they know internally, it doesn't help and if they don't cant see it helping either

Because they couldn’t technically enter the transfer portal until after spring practice in the window that opens 4/16, which would give coaches time to “re-recruit” anyone who might be on the fence.

Guys could transfer at any time, but doing so outside the transfer windows would require sitting out a year.

It’s a bit under-handed to hold off staff change announcements until after this portal window closes, but could nonetheless be part of the thought process.

Because they couldn’t technically enter the transfer portal until after spring practice in the window that opens 4/16, which would give coaches time to “re-recruit” anyone who might be on the fence.

Guys could transfer at any time, but doing so outside the transfer windows would require sitting out a year.

It’s a bit under-handed to hold off staff change announcements until after this portal window closes, but could nonetheless be part of the thought process.

I feel that, generally, players at NU would presume heavy turnover, and the "unknown" (new position coach might be a jagoff) would lead them to test the portal. With this in mind, it seems that quicker decisions would help retain talent, in addition to allowing the new coaches to begin recruiting HS and portal.

I feel that, generally, players at NU would presume heavy turnover, and the "unknown" (new position coach might be a jagoff) would lead them to test the portal. With this in mind, it seems that quicker decisions would help retain talent, in addition to allowing the new coaches to begin recruiting HS and portal.

I disagree. A lot. Braun isn’t going to bring in jagoff’s, plus there’s a healthy portion of our roster who will likely stay until they’ve earned their NU degree pretty much no matter the coaching staff.

I disagree. A lot. Braun isn’t going to bring in jagoff’s, plus there’s a healthy portion of our roster who will likely stay until they’ve earned their NU degree pretty much no matter the coaching staff.
I can see part one - the players trust Braun, so there is little risk of JON 2.0, but what about the grad part?. I presume you are talking about some of the huge number that walked on Senior day. Seems like a lot of them already would have a degree, so, even amongst those that put education first, aren't we "competing" for them with other grad schools? (e.g. Kirtz, Gallager).

I suppose there is a comprehensive thread on The Rock about degrees, years of eligibility, etc. /s

I see your point about guys that have a few months or even a year to graduation. Get the degree.

Reactions: IGNORE2
LSU and UNC announced their DC's were fired today.

What's up, NU?
Our DC is already an empty position. Could be they are negotiating details of Tim McG's contract. Or could be the reporting on broadcast was incorrect and they are still in the search and evaluation process.

Re OL coach, could be they are giving Kurt A some time to look around for other options, and also pursuing their own search process for a replacement simultaneously.

The one that surprises me the most is Coach MacPherson. I'm surprised that 3 of the departures were already announced and his was not, given his connection with some of the hazing reports last year. We will see... maybe Braun wants to retain him. The secondary was generally pretty good last year, and we saw development of players plus resilience / depth when Coco went down and others struggled with injuries.

Reactions: drewjin
I can see part one - the players trust Braun, so there is little risk of JON 2.0, but what about the grad part?. I presume you are talking about some of the huge number that walked on Senior day. Seems like a lot of them already would have a degree, so, even amongst those that put education first, aren't we "competing" for them with other grad schools? (e.g. Kirtz, Gallager).

I suppose there is a comprehensive thread on The Rock about degrees, years of eligibility, etc. /s

I see your point about guys that have a few months or even a year to graduation. Get the degree.
I mean that underclassmen are less likely to leave NU than other places because they genuinely want the NU degree.

Our DC is already an empty position. Could be they are negotiating details of Tim McG's contract. Or could be the reporting on broadcast was incorrect and they are still in the search and evaluation process.

Re OL coach, could be they are giving Kurt A some time to look around for other options, and also pursuing their own search process for a replacement simultaneously.

The one that surprises me the most is Coach MacPherson. I'm surprised that 3 of the departures were already announced and his was not, given his connection with some of the hazing reports last year. We will see... maybe Braun wants to retain him. The secondary was generally pretty good last year, and we saw development of players plus resilience / depth when Coco went down and others struggled with injuries.

Technically nothing was “announced.” I’m increasingly convinced that Bajakian blabbed to McDonough when he wasn’t supposed to. Braun basically shrugged off the follow-up in the post-game presser, deferring the conversations to January.

Not sure what the holdup is, perhaps the FCS title game on Sunday 1/7.

Dude looks like he's about 12 years old and came from Alaska to South Dakota...and never left. I have some concerns about lived experience and other FBS-specific stuff, but also like the potential for innovation and someone with a straight-up strong football IQ. I'm plenty open to it (not that anyone was asking for my blessing).

Dude looks like he's about 12 years old and came from Alaska to South Dakota...and never left. I have some concerns about lived experience and other FBS-specific stuff, but also like the potential for innovation and someone with a straight-up strong football IQ. I'm plenty open to it (not that anyone was asking for my blessing).

Some interesting details about Lujan in another thread…

Reactions: ricko654321

The hell does “lived experience” have to do with ability to coordinate an offense?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hungry Jack

At least Chicago winters won’t be an issue

Eh, Braun coached against him (DC vs OC) and respects him if he's willing to hire him; that's about as good of a testimonial as you'll find beyond that he's the FCS OC of the year.

I think concern about experience is a bit overblown; he's been on the staff there for 6 years and OC for 2 years. Plus he's a QB himself.

Not all that different from Braun himself though Braun's been coaching twice as long.

I'd much rather hire the best coaches at their level and guys hungry to prove themselves on a national stage given that's what Braun himself was when he got here a year ago as a high potential young DC.

He'll have time to build the offense that he wants, and hopefully he can develop QBs.

Last edited:

Two thoughts - if not McG then he leaves. That would be terribly embarrassing to be announced on national tv then not happen. Not saying a good or a bad thing, still thinking about, but definitely wild to be broke on the bowl game.

I can see one legal reason to keep Mac. Control. You have much more control when he is employee and he is castrated in that nobody is going to take him and he will use the time to work to save his job post litigation.

Considering DBs have grown to a strength, he not on the list of coaches needing to go and not gone yet like Anderson and the S&C guy.

Two thoughts - if not McG then he leaves. That would be terribly embarrassing to be announced on national tv then not happen. Not saying a good or a bad thing, still thinking about, but definitely wild to be broke on the bowl game.

I can see one legal reason to keep Mac. Control. You have much more control when he is employee and he is castrated in that nobody is going to take him and he will use the time to work to save his job post litigation.

Considering DBs have grown to a strength, he not on the list of coaches needing to go and not gone yet like Anderson and the S&C guy.
Anderson is gone?

I will forward in to Gagg

The hell does “lived experience” have to do with ability to coordinate an offense?
Right! I’m driving a car and getting laid for the first time are so overrated and definitely should not be used to measure the maturity of a potential candidate. Is Dougie Howser available?

Right! I’m driving a car and getting laid for the first time are so overrated and definitely should not be used to measure the maturity of a potential candidate. Is Dougie Howser available?

What?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT