ADVERTISEMENT

Nice Article about tackling and Fitz

CatQ

Aug 27, 2008
My son plays on this high school team and it was quite amazing to see them progress through almost the entire season last fall with no concussions. The head coach, now entering his second season at the school, takes a lot of stuff he uses from the NU staff and Fitz' in particular [no smarmy comments, please]. The team even got to practice indoors at NU one day during a cold week in the state playoffs.

Anyway, cool to see how the game is evolving and picking up things from other sports like rugby and how it spreads from the pros to college to high school to feeder to pee wee. BUT, that being said, when I used to play (pick up) as a kid through college - with no pads or helmets, of course - I had no choice but to tackle with a 'hawk tackle' or 'hawk roll tackle', especially being a small kid.

Hawk Tackling - article and detailed video

They need to do everything they can. I wish Glade's idea of slowing down the field with a softer surface would catch on. They should be able to develop artificial surfaces that are softer than a soft grass field. It would slow the game down and reduce the speed of impact not to mention the head to surface impact to the back of the head that QBs often face and is, I believe, the most dangerous kind of concussion.

I'm always happy to hear NU keeps it's grass long. The fast guys are still faster than the slow guys but I bet anything sprinting a forty on Ryan field is slower than doing on a track. I wonder what % slower?

Great video. I wonder what the defensive concussion rates are for the Seahawks versus other NFL teams.

Originally posted by JoeWildcat:
Great video. I wonder what the defensive concussion rates are for the Seahawks versus other NFL teams.
I would love to know that too. I wonder whether, given the current climate, the NFL would be more or less prone to release concussion data.

Originally posted by Deeringfish:
They need to do everything they can. I wish Glade's idea of slowing down the field with a softer surface would catch on. They should be able to develop artificial surfaces that are softer than a soft grass field. It would slow the game down and reduce the speed of impact not to mention the head to surface impact to the back of the head that QBs often face and is, I believe, the most dangerous kind of concussion.

I'm always happy to hear NU keeps it's grass long. The fast guys are still faster than the slow guys but I bet anything sprinting a forty on Ryan field is slower than doing on a track. I wonder what % slower?
Interesting about the grass and hadn't really thought of that. And you are dead on about the QB hitting the turf in a whiplash action with the back of their head. Sadly, I've seen my son take this type of fall too many times while standing tall in the pocket to get the ball off - he's never been diagnosed with a concussion [knock on wood] and I'm always holding my breath.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT