ADVERTISEMENT

NIL, a man named Collins and some guards

IGNORE2

Mar 12, 2005
Amazing season. CCC earns more time but I’ma body of work guy, so no big extension proponent. But if he gets back to the dance next year, life contract, replaces PF as NU top dog.

So how? Family has generational money going back to dad. Maybe Doug Collins becomes a big benefactor. Runs an NIL thing, maybe get some NBA friends involved along with the few NU NBA alum too. Does this to lock in chase and Boo to help son win again and recruit easier.

If I was Doug, this is what I would be doing.

Reactions: GatoLouco
I think most are overthinking it around here. I doubt NIL is as much the issue as whether they want to stick around college another year. At a certain point college is just over for pretty much everyone.

(It's not my money of course) but we should easily be able to find donors to put up enough NIL money to make them whole or better than whole versus say a first year player in an overseas league.

Question is what they want to do; as I pointed out in another thread, both turn 24 this year. Might just feel like they did everything possible this year at Northwestern and left it all on the floor. Given what this team accomplished (beat #1, brought back a roaring home crowd, lots of Quad 1 Big Ten wins, NCAA tournament berth and win in R64, pushed UCLA to the limit, beat a ranked Indiana twice, etc.), it's easily understandable if they feel like this year accomplished most goals.

If not? If they feel like they have unfinished business, then there should be a way to bring them back while making them financially whole (or better).

Last edited:
Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I don't think at this stage in life, Doug has anything left to prove. Seeing him walk up and down the stands with a walking stick highlighted this. Plus, the last thing Chris needs or wants is having his dad involved in HIS thing, which is the Sullivan-Ubben 😉 men's basketball coach.

Again, it's not a question of resources. Northwestern has the money to keep Buie and Audige and make Chris Lowery one of the sport's highest paid assistant coaches. The question is what each individual's goals are moving forward.

Last edited:
Amazing season. CCC earns more time but I’ma body of work guy, so no big extension proponent. But if he gets back to the dance next year, life contract, replaces PF as NU top dog.

Please, no more overlong contracts!

While it would be great to see the seniors stick around for another, if they did come back and make it to the Tourney again, wouldn't count that towards the need to see some consistency with regards to winning as that would be due to a special circumstance.

Need to see the program consistently win with different players (Princeton lost 4 key players last year and they not only made it to the Dance again, but have reached the Sweet 16).

CC is due for a decent extension, but the smart thing for CC to do would be to allocate the biggest salary bumps to the assistant coaches in order to try to keep them around for as long as possible.

Just a hunch, but Lowery flopped in his first try as a head coach and was Weber’s assistant happily for more than a decade in Manhattan, Kansas, after that. I doubt he has particular interest in a head job.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
flop is a stretch, he took SIU to 3 straight tournaments and a Sweet 16. Salukis haven't made the tourney since...
This is fair. Except that it was the coattails of Weber’s success. Once it became his program, they got progressively worse.

Mostly, I think he’s happy as an assistant. This is a guess based on nothing.

While it would be great to see the seniors stick around for another, if they did come back and make it to the Tourney again, wouldn't count that towards the need to see some consistency with regards to winning as that would be due to a special circumstance.

Need to see the program consistently win with different players (Princeton lost 4 key players last year and they not only made it to the Dance again, but have reached the Sweet 16).

CC is due for a decent extension, but the smart thing for CC to do would be to allocate the biggest salary bumps to the assistant coaches in order to try to keep them around for as long as possible.
Huh, you wouldn’t count making the tourney next year as consistent because it has many of the same players?

Reactions: ThatkidfromHolland

I gotta disagree here. If they come back and made it to the tourney again, it absolutely would count toward building consistency. We brought back most of the 2017 team, and did not make it to the tourney again. This would be a big step forward from that. Also it would allow the incoming first-years (Strauss, Clayton, and we hope Barkley) a chance to adjust to the college game without being relied on. We've already seen how big an advantage that was for MN and Brooks. Meanwhile, two straight years of going to the tourney would give Collins unprecedented credibility when talking to recruits. Imagine the pitch to the class of 2025, "You can get the best education in Power 6 with a legitimate chance of multiple trips to the dance." No NU coach has ever been able to utter that sentence with anything beyond St. Gary's "Belief without evidence".

^ Guess didn't make it ckear.

The SRs wouldn't have the opportunity for another year, but for the unusual circumstances coming out of the pandemic, so can't exactly count that (not like Juice, Shurna, BMac, Pardon, etc. got the opportunity for a 5th year).

And even in that case, want to see some consistency of success with (key) player turnover.

Let's say the 2017 team did manage to repeat and make the Dance again.

Would that have changed the circumstances for the next 5 years?

The 2017 team wasn't able to repeat in part b/c they didn't successfully fill the roles/contributions of the players that left.

The 2018 team still had Law and Pardon (presumably at their best, esp Law as he overcame his stamina problem), but there weren't enough pieces around them to even make the NIT.

Last edited:
Reactions: PURPLECAT88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT