ADVERTISEMENT

Non-conference opponents are set

pschatz25

Nov 29, 2005
Props to @CBB_Central for tracking them down (link):

"Compiling from reporting by others and official releases, Northwestern’s non-conference schedule is seemingly set. Dates not all set.

Home against:
New Orleans
American
Binghamton
Chicago State
Columbia
Oklahoma
DePaul
Georgia Tech

Plus 3 games at Wooden Legacy in SoCal."

Props to @CBB_Central for tracking them down (link):

"Compiling from reporting by others and official releases, Northwestern’s non-conference schedule is seemingly set. Dates not all set.

Home against:
New Orleans
American
Binghamton
Chicago State
Columbia
Oklahoma
DePaul
Georgia Tech

Plus 3 games at Wooden Legacy in SoCal."
I don't understand why they don't shorten the season. Reduce the regular season games from 31 to 26 or 27. Too much wear and tear on the players in the OOC, trying to cram all the games in from mid-November to Jan1. You people who plunked down $6,000 for season tickets must be thrilled with the first 5 games....good seats will be available on the secondary market for <$10.......

Reactions: Fitz51 and NUCat320
I don't understand why they don't shorten the season. Reduce the regular season games from 31 to 26 or 27. Too much wear and tear on the players in the OOC, trying to cram all the games in from mid-November to Jan1. You people who plunked down $6,000 for season tickets must be thrilled with the first 5 games....good seats will be available on the secondary market for <$10.......
Shortening the season=less product=less money.

Breakdown of this schedule based on last year's RPI:

New Orleans (239)
American (336)
Binghamton (320)
Chicago State (335)
Columbia (316)
Oklahoma (49)
DePaul (185)
Georgia Tech (161)

Fresno State (103)
La Salle (202) or Miami (FL) (28)
Seton Hall (31) or Grand Canyon (156) or Hawaii (213) or Utah (59)

This is a very weak schedule that will significantly impede the team's ability to reach the postseason. If they can manage to face both Miami (FL) and Seton Hall/Utah in the Wooden Legacy it'll help.

New Orleans (239)
American (336)
Binghamton (320)
Chicago State (335)
Columbia (316)
Oklahoma (49)
DePaul (185)
Georgia Tech (161)

Fresno State (103)

This is a very weak schedule that will significantly impede the team's ability to reach the postseason. If they can manage to face both Miami (FL) and Seton Hall/Utah in the Wooden Legacy it'll help.

That opening matchup with Fresno State suddenly looms large ...

New Orleans (239)
American (336)
Binghamton (320)
Chicago State (335)
Columbia (316)
Oklahoma (49)
DePaul (185)
Georgia Tech (161)

Fresno State (103)

What would suck would be for all the pieces to fall together despite the lack of depth at ballhandler and only 12 schollies on the roster, then to be shut out of the Dance because our SoS sucked. Two camps - schedule weak and win, play real schedule and learn what you got. I prefer the latter.

What would suck would be for all the pieces to fall together despite the lack of depth at ballhandler and only 12 schollies on the roster, then to be shut out of the Dance because our SoS sucked. Two camps - schedule weak and win, play real schedule and learn what you got. I prefer the latter.

If they end up with 3 top-50 games on the schedule, which they could if the Wooden tournament falls their way, the schedule won't cause them any problems. But that's a big gamble.

I understand keeping Chicago State on the schedule but there's no reason to schedule three other 300+ RPI opponents, which are killers to your RPI no matter the outcome.

Reactions: Alan Smithee
Don't forget that there are now 20 B1G games, replacing 2 weaker OOC opponents......go 11-9 in the B1g and you're probably in regardless of OOC SOS.

Don't forget that there are now 20 B1G games, replacing 2 weaker OOC opponents......go 11-9 in the B1g and you're probably in regardless of OOC SOS.

Probably in the NIT, you mean? Nebraska went 13-5 last year and didn't even get an NIT home game.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Good point.

Of course, in a stronger year for the B1G, 11-9 could very easily get you into the tournament. After all, our first NCAA appearance came after a 10-8 conference season, and we were comfortably in. But the conference was much stronger in 2016 and our non-conference schedule was better as well. A strong non-conference schedule is insurance against a bad year for the B1G.

New Orleans (239)
American (336)
Binghamton (320)
Chicago State (335)
Columbia (316)
Oklahoma (49)
DePaul (185)
Georgia Tech (161)

Fresno State (103)

Postseason? Let’s take this one step at a time. This team is not “supposed” to be very good.

$10?
How about free. Treason against fans who paid thousands but Phillips didnt upgrade from crap opponents. The opponents for the first 5 games are so bad that ill guarantee 5-0.
At least Carmody scheduled such softies as exhibitions.
Fans have been duped.

$10?
How about free. Treason against fans who paid thousands but Phillips didnt upgrade from crap opponents. The opponents for the first 5 games are so bad that ill guarantee 5-0.
Fans have been duped.
Please.

In Bill's last season he scheduled Texas Southern and MVSU from the SWAC, Fairleigh Dickinson, Delaware State, UIC (loss), Texas State and Brown. All coaches schedule tomato cans, which is why they should just eliminate those meaningless games.

This team has a lot of growing together to do and this soft NC schedule will facilitate that. And the bench will develop. The strength of schedule may haunt us eventually, but I'm pleased to see it.

The season is all about conference play anyway.

I'm really anxious to see this team play. They might be strong. THEY MIGHT, THEY MIGHT, THEY MIGHT!

GO CATS!

Last edited:
$10?
Fans have been duped.

Duped?? I don't think so. Don't people understand to concept of a voluntary donation??? If you're expecting something in return don't make the donation.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Postseason? Let’s take this one step at a time. This team is not “supposed” to be very good.

I agree. I'm just saying the schedule might not do them any favors if they defy expectations.

no bad losses and .500 in the B1G should be enought still i think

That scenario depends heavily upon who they beat. The committee cares a lot more about big wins than about bad losses. Take the 2015-16 team, which went 20-12 (8-10) with no bad losses and didn't even make the NIT.

Reactions: Inovacat
Duped?? I don't think so. Don't people understand to concept of a voluntary donation??? If you're expecting something in return don't make the donation.
it wasnt a donation, it was skin to get in the lower bowl. The expectation, for the yearly psl would have to be assumed to be a better entertainment venue.

If a core part of this team wasn't so untested, I'd be pretty dumbfounded by this schedule.

Still, those 300+ games drive me batty. Hell, if you can't do much with 150-200, you're not going anywhere. Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and DePaul are all 150-200 teams.

There shouldn't be much beyond 250.

Just win as much as possible.

If we are bemoaning the schedule in February because NU is on the NCAA bubble, I’ll take it.

it wasnt a donation, it was skin to get in the lower bowl. The expectation, for the yearly psl would have to be assumed to be a better entertainment venue.

Are you gonna still do your father/son courtside ticket giveaway this year?

Of course, in a stronger year for the B1G, 11-9 could very easily get you into the tournament. After all, our first NCAA appearance came after a 10-8 conference season, and we were comfortably in. But the conference was much stronger in 2016 and our non-conference schedule was better as well. A strong non-conference schedule is insurance against a bad year for the B1G.
No disagreement here . . . BUT, it should be acknowledged that a bad year for the Big Ten is more the exception than the rule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT