ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING Northwestern set to host Junior Day on Saturday

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Northwestern is using a new recruiting strategy this weekend. Well, it’s more like they’re resurrecting an old one.

The Wildcats are hosting a junior day event on Saturday, the program's first in several years. More than 30 prospects are expected for what they're calling "Life on the Lakefront" on their graphics.

Northwestern used to do junior day events on a regular basis years ago. Most programs around the country put them on, too. But NU eschewed larger, “shotgun” recruiting events in favor of a more targeted, “rifle” approach in recent years.

This year, for whatever reason, they are changing their tactics and will hold another big tent event. It was reportedly the idea of NU recruiting director Bryan Payton, who is in the charge of the defensive side of the ball.

Certainly, changing things up can’t hurt, especially with three new coaches in place you want to expose to as many prospects as possible.

But calling Saturday’s event a junior day is a bit of misnomer. There are going to be plenty of junior (Class of 2024) prospects there, of course. But there will also be several 2025s, who are in the middle of their sophomore seasons, including many prominent ones.

One of those high-profile 2025 targets is Gabe Kaminski, a four-star defensive end from LaGrange Park (Ill.) Nazareth. He told WildcatReport that he’s looking forward to his second visit to Evanston, following a trip last August.

“My interest level [in Northwestern] is very high,” he said. “I think the first thing that stands out to me is the amazing academics complemented by the great athletics as well. On my visit I also noticed that there is a huge family feel to the program. Everybody knows each other and are treated like nobody is better than the other.”

Northwestern’s performance on the field the last two years isn’t going to impress many recruits, so the more players they can get into the building to experience that culture, the better.

Here’s a partial list of some of the prospects expected on Saturday:

Mikeshun Beeler

Aiden Bergin (yes, there’s another one)

https://www.hudl.com/profile/15203718/Aiden-Bergin

Michael Boganowski

Cael Brezina

Carson Grove

https://www.hudl.com/profile/15642376/Carson-Grove

Danny Inglis

Eddie Tuerk

(See following post for more)

Last edited: