ADVERTISEMENT

NU has construction camera operating for Lakefront Facility

Deering, second half of the middle arch going up right now.....
Thanks for the heads up. I'm afraid I missed it, but it looks great and those are the final arches, I think. So something new will be next.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm afraid I missed it, but it looks great and those are the final arches, I think. So something new will be next.

I guess they have to tie that pair to the previous pair. That will probably take a couple of days.

From the final design review drawing, there are a total of 6 pairs of arches to be lifted by crane, and today they lifted the 4th, so 2 more to go.

They seems to have gotten about halfway tieing the arches together. I don't see where here could be more added unless it is at the far end of the structure.

Pretty impressive how many things are happening at once and how clean the whole operation appears. Even the resolution of the camera is impressive.

It sure seems awfully close to the lake. Hope that isn't a problem in years to come.

It has been a rainy week but they keep making progress. Working on Sunday. The cranes are active this morning. Perhaps the next pair of arches goes up today.
I know it is often like watching paint dry but I can't stop looking.

It has been a rainy week but they keep making progress. Working on Sunday. The cranes are active this morning. Perhaps the next pair of arches goes up today.
I know it is often like watching paint dry but I can't stop looking.

I drove by the site yesterday when I had a few spare minutes. It's impressive, even in its current unfinished state.

I drove by the site yesterday when I had a few spare minutes. It's impressive, even in its current unfinished state.

I know some people disagree with me but I think recruits would be super jazzed to see it like this knowing it is going to be ready for them. The skeleton of it has got to be more impressive than many schools with above average facilities. Aesthetically, it is going to be one of the most impressive athletic facilities in the world.

I know some people disagree with me but I think recruits would be super jazzed to see it like this knowing it is going to be ready for them. The skeleton of it has got to be more impressive than many schools with above average facilities. Aesthetically, it is going to be one of the most impressive athletic facilities in the world.

That was literally my thought driving away: "well, it's impressive now just as a shell... imagine what happens when it's done."

That was literally my thought driving away: "well, it's impressive now just as a shell... imagine what happens when it's done."

Phillips said the Ryan Fieldhouse will be complete in September and the Walter Center "in 12-14 months". Both should be ready for the class of '18 from day 1.....

I had the same impression, and I only saw a couple of shots of it on television. It must look much more impressive in person. A couple of people I spoke to have seen the construction site recently and were extremely impressed.

I had the same impression, and I only saw a couple of shots of it on television. It must look much more impressive in person. A couple of people I spoke to have seen the construction site recently and were extremely impressed.

It has to be massive. Isn't it a complete football field with end zones?

That was pretty cool getting to see the rising structure during Jim Phillip's interview on yesterday's BTN "Spring Football" feature.

The current photo up today interestingly shows some of the last structural pieces getting ready to be raised by the cranes:

IMG_7208_zpsglzixqqz.jpg

Thanks, Alaska. Posting the screen shot of the photos over time would make for an interesting thread!

When did you take that and where were you standing. I watch the live feed twice a day for a few minutes. Bu that shot is from some different angle.

This is taken from the roof of the parking garage. It's all one massive building.

Thanks for photo CoralSpringsCat. Not really sure what area that is in relationship
to indoor field (indoor hoops courts??). Anybody "in the know" willing to help?

Thanks for photo CoralSpringsCat. Not really sure what area that is in relationship

The indoor hoops courts (3 of 'em) are in the basement below the indoor field.

If the picture was taken from the top of the parking garage, that is the far end compared to the live feed, I think. So could those tent like things be the aquatic center?

If the picture was taken from the top of the parking garage, that is the far end compared to the live feed, I think. So could those tent like things be the aquatic center?

Yes. For lack of a better term, the tent things are the roof of the aquatic center. Also, he starts panning almost straight north, if he'd started a little further to the west, you would have seen the new Lincoln Street dorm that is obscured by the dome construction. If you look at the live feed camera, the top two floors of the parking garage are clear in the background starting on the left.

Last edited:
Yes. For lack of a better term, the tent things are the roof of the aquatic center. Also, he starts panning almost straight north, if he'd started a little further to the west, you would have seen the new Lincoln Street dorm that is obscured by the dome construction. If you look at the live feed camera, the top two floors of the parking garage are clear in the background starting on the left.

PANNING!? i'm such dope. I was looking at it as a still shot. It is so awesome!

I wonder why they aren't doing more on the roof? That seems like a separate project that a different team could be working on. Why start it in the first place if you are not going to keep up?

This thread should be pinned on the front page.
I finally just book marked the camera site. I love peeking at it a few time a day. Rarely have i caught anything major but often I'm impressed how things come together in a few hours or a full day. Especially if I skip a day or two.

It is really getting impressive.

PANNING!? i'm such dope. I was looking at it as a still shot. It is so awesome!

I wonder why they aren't doing more on the roof? That seems like a separate project that a different team could be working on. Why start it in the first place if you are not going to keep up?
I finally just book marked the camera site. I love peeking at it a few time a day. Rarely have i caught anything major but often I'm impressed how things come together in a few hours or a full day. Especially if I skip a day or two.

It is really getting impressive.

They are actually getting to the end of the dome framing construction. I think the segments of the floor under construction now are the last (I count them every now and then). I really expect the whole thing to be enclosed by the fall. Downside will be how boring the camera footage will be to watch. Hopefully they will move it inside the dome. When you come in on Lincoln, this thing is really big. I will try to take a picture on Sunday.

They are actually getting to the end of the dome framing construction. I think the segments of the floor under construction now are the last (I count them every now and then). I really expect the whole thing to be enclosed by the fall. Downside will be how boring the camera footage will be to watch. Hopefully they will move it inside the dome. When you come in on Lincoln, this thing is really big. I will try to take a picture on Sunday.

Great! take a picture. A lot of visual stuff is happening today. Multiple sections of the splash wall have been delivered and installed, A whole bunch of I beams for the floor structure went in and the next set of arches is being delivered.

Some how the image didn't insert in a way my computer can open.

Thanks for trying. They got a lot of obvious things done this past week. I bet the last pair of arches go up this week unless the deck is slower to build than I think.. The deck must be built with runways for the lifts to drive on.

By chance caught these cool sunset views Easter afternoon from here in Alaska today. Of course it was three hours later in Evanston.

Click to Enlarge
IMG_7437_zps6rkbczpn.png
IMG_7436_zpshqrnvm6h.png

I think there will be a lot of action today or at least this week. They have brought in a lot of material over the weekend. Some of it has been placed high on the flat roof. We won't be able to appreciate that when it goes down because it is parallel to the camera and while it is many square feet of coverage, we will only see it's edge about 1 inch thick I think. The main deck of the floor should go down quickly and I think that has to go down before the two final arches go up (plus some temporary reinforcing they put down for the lifts to drive on. The arches were assembled ( at least to the camera eye, maybe they need more welding) on Saturday. Those arches will be placed by the cranes once the wall post are up. The wall posts go in so fast I have never even seen them on the crane.

Some parts of construction go so fast to our untrained eye. There has been a lot of prefabrication done off site.

What a building.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
This is what you see now when you turn south on Lincoln onto North Campus. Not quite SPAC and the north campus parking lot.
C9no770XgAAW05u.jpg

C9npruCXoAAao6x.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AlvinMack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT