ADVERTISEMENT

NU offers 2018 point guard

If anyone has doubts about this team being hungry after last season's magic, just watch the emotion in the locker room after the loss to Gonzaga in Episode 7 of The Foundation again. Listen to CC's words: "For the rest of us, let's use it. Let's use it, man. I think we all see what we can be." and tell me these don't land true. CC will not let this team underachieve. I think 2016/17 was a season of the team learning to believe in who they really are. You could see the confidence build throughout the season as they overcame adversity, showed up in big games, delivered return fire when prior teams would have folded, and ultimately broke through the barrier. I hope 2017/18 is a season of the team that found itself the prior year now spreading its wings and being that team every night. I'm talking about the team that had a miracle win against Michigan, went toe to toe against B1G champs Purdue, put up a record run on Rutgers en route to a big win and then handily beating Maryland in the B1G Tourney. The team that took the NCAA runner-up to the wire after nerves caused them to dig an 18 point hole at half.

The biggest thing right now causing me some concern is how the Cubs are challenging my expectations compass. I can't logically figure out what is happening with them, and wonder if there is just something to "magic" in a season of destiny. If it can disappear for the Cubs who, on paper, appeared to be stronger, could the same happen to the Cats? How much of an impact does it have to be the marked team that others want to hunt? If the Cats start the season top 25, will they suffer the typical rankings woes that Cats football has in the past?

There's too many days until first tipoff...

The Cubs don't have a leadoff hitter. Their lead offhitter is on the Cardinals. The bullpen other than Wade Davis and Carl Edwards, Jr. is mediocre or worse. Schwarber (.170 BA) and Russell (.216 BA) have had poor starts to the season. Starting pitching has been much worse than last season (Arietta with a 4.60 ERA and no 5th starter). So that leads to a 25-27 record. Only 2.5 games back.

What's great to see about NU basketball is that they are primed to have a great 2017-2018 season and 2018-2019 season will be solid also with a solid 3-4 man class and starters returning of (Pardon, Falzon and Law). Then factor in other returning players such as Benson, Brown, Rapolas, AJ Turner (BC transfer), Ash and Gaines. Then you throw in a talented freshman class (knock on wood) then you would have another tourney worthy team that is as athletic enough to go far.

Agree with the sentiment that the Cats will be strong for several years running, which is good because the Big Ten is about to get much tougher and reclaim its best conference title over the next two or three years.

I am most psyched to see the development of the freshman into sophomores....Brown, Benson and Falzon. And to see Rap play in an NU uniform. That's a ton of talent right there.

Agree with the sentiment that the Cats will be strong for several years running, which is good because the Big Ten is about to get much tougher and reclaim its best conference title over the next two or three years.

I am most psyched to see the development of the freshman into sophomores....Brown, Benson and Falzon. And to see Rap play in an NU uniform. That's a ton of talent right there.

This season will be very exciting with the best team top to bottom I have seen in my 43 years of watching NU hoops. McIntosh is a special player. NU will miss him in 2018-19 and that squad will not be as strong.

Just imagine if BC had the AD's support and these players how much better last year could have been !
Are you saying that the AD wanted NU and BC to lose. Did BC ever prod the powers to be to add things like the new scoreboards and such. We do know that BC was not very interested in recruiting. Finally many of those guys on this years team would not have been at NU for various reasons, including not wanting to play in the PO and if last seasons team ran the Carmody offense their record would have been not as good.

This season will be very exciting with the best team top to bottom I have seen in my 43 years of watching NU hoops. McIntosh is a special player. NU will miss him in 2018-19 and that squad will not be as strong.

On the team not being as strong in 2018. It all depends on what they get at PG. A freshman Cormac Ryan would be a drop off from McIntosh but by how much? And who knows Isiah Brown could make a leap into a starting caliber Big10 player. We didnt see Lindsey or Pardon becoming the players they are today. After losing Demps and Olah no one thought they'd be a better team but they were. So who knows but Im just enjoying the ride.

On the team not being as strong in 2018. It all depends on what they get at PG. A freshman Cormac Ryan would be a drop off from McIntosh but by how much? And who knows Isiah Brown could make a leap into a starting caliber Big10 player. We didnt see Lindsey or Pardon becoming the players they are today. After losing Demps and Olah no one thought they'd be a better team but they were. So who knows but Im just enjoying the ride.

True.

Are you saying that the AD wanted NU and BC to lose. Did BC ever prod the powers to be to add things like the new scoreboards and such. We do know that BC was not very interested in recruiting. Finally many of those guys on this years team would not have been at NU for various reasons, including not wanting to play in the PO and if last seasons team ran the Carmody offense their record would have been not as good.

Swallowed the bait and is deeply hooked !

Swallowed the bait and is deeply hooked !

Quite cruel of you to prey on posters' weaknesses.
Quite dumb that such a smart guy would purposely bring up the Carmody failures again. Guess he and you really have nothing to say.

Did BC ever prod the powers to be to add things like the new scoreboards and such.

Yes, he did.

It doesn't really matter, though. He was a good fit for a different kind of expectation, for when we had trouble getting to the NIT.

The frequent arguments about BC reminds me of this joke:

A man is sent to prison for the first time. At night, the lights in the cell block are turned off, and his cellmate goes over to the bars and yells, "Number twelve!" The whole cell block breaks out laughing. A few minutes later, somebody else in the cell block yells, "Number four!" Again, the whole cell block breaks out laughing.

The new guy asks his cellmate what's going on. "Well," says the older prisoner, "we've all been in this here prison for so long, we all know the same jokes. So we just yell out the number instead of saying the whole joke."

So the new guy walks up to the bars and yells, "Number six!" There was dead silence in the cell block. He asks the older prisoner, "What's wrong? Why didn't I get any laughs?"

"Well," said the older man, "sometimes it's not the joke, but how you tell it."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT