ADVERTISEMENT

Observing yesterday’s game: Is Fickell Feckless?

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Even though I was watching yesterday’s game through purple colored glasses, I could not help but notice the spectacularly poor effort the Wisconsin team put in yesterday. In the first half, their defense was utterly clueless about how to deal with the Cats’ attack, and both their offense and defense had the enthusiasm of someone going to the dentist for a root canal. In the second half, the players seemed to give a more spirited effort, but trailing by 3 TD’s early in the 4th quarter, the OC did not even hint at an effort to push the ball downfield, dinking it in front of the Cats’ conservative alignment while the clock bled away. I have seen some teams be badly coached relative to scheme, motivation and game plan over the years, but yesterday’s effort by Luke Fickell and his staff really had to rank as one of the worst I have ever seen.

Even though I was watching yesterday’s game through purple colored glasses, I could not help but notice the spectacularly poor effort the Wisconsin team put in yesterday. In the first half, their defense was utterly clueless about how to deal with the Cats’ attack, and both their offense and defense had the enthusiasm of someone going to the dentist for a root canal. In the second half, the players seemed to give a more spirited effort, but trailing by 3 TD’s early in the 4th quarter, the OC did not even hint at an effort to push the ball downfield, dinking it in front of the Cats’ conservative alignment while the clock bled away. I have seen some teams be badly coached relative to scheme, motivation and game plan over the years, but yesterday’s effort by Luke Fickell and his staff really had to rank as one of the worst I have ever seen.
Fickell is PJ Fleck on hype train steroids.

• Haha
Reactions: Hungry Jack
I saw a post-game interview with one of Wiscy’s starting safeties. He was super annoyed and called out his teammates: said they had to decide if they really wanted to play football and whether they wanted to play it at Wisconsin.

Apparently some real chemistry issues.

I saw a post-game interview with one of Wiscy’s starting safeties. He was super annoyed and called out his teammates: said they had to decide if they really wanted to play football and whether they wanted to play it at Wisconsin.

NIL not paying them enough to put out maximum effort.

Fickell looked constipated the whole game.
Hasn't he always looked like that?
GettyImages-1743722362.jpg

Look for multiple guys to line up at the portal come Dec 4th. Guessing Allen will be at the front.

Why? Lousy season for them but what is Fickell doing that has the players upset? Allen is getting his carries - after an adjustment - until he was hurt. Hangover from the Leonard years? Fickell doesn't appear to be particularly warm and fuzzy but has never had complaints at previous stops as far as I am aware.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Why? Lousy season for them but what is Fickell doing that has the players upset? Allen is getting his carries - after an adjustment - until he was hurt. Hangover from the Leonard years? Fickell doesn't appear to be particularly warm and fuzzy but has never had complaints at previous stops as far as I am aware.
Fickell is trying to remake the offense into something very un-Wisconsin like. I'm guessing he doesn't have the personnel he wants to run what he wants and it's leading to some tension. It won't be Deion-like, but I'm guessing Fickell hopes to remake that team in a different image.

I liked him when he was at Cincinnati, but to be perfectly honest, I just liked that they were so good. I was turned off by his rather curt handshake after Saturday's game. I thought even Braun looked a little surprised at the fast hit-and-run handshake. Didn't appear like Fickell could even look him in the eye. I'm guessing things are not right in Madison.

The dinking and dunking was because that is what NU gave them

Reactions: WaveJumper
I am not saying Fickell can't be successful at Wisconsin, but I think he had a good situation at Cincinnati. There was little pressure with the NFL Bengals dominating area fan and sports media interest. He could have so-so years like 5-7 or 6-6 and no one is calling for his head. At Wisconsin, they have elevated expectations with 6 Big Ten titles between Alvarez and Bielema and want to take the next step up to be like Penn State, Michigan, OSU, etc. Meanwhile, if he had stayed at Cincinnati, he probably could have been top tier in the Big 12 in the middle of a recruiting hotbed in Ohio, where great players are available that Ohio State does not have room to take.

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT