ADVERTISEMENT

OT - NU Baseball

Figrating

Dec 19, 2007

The team opened the season 1 - 8 and it looked like our AD had missed an opportunity to recruit a head coach. But today it looks like he recognized strong coaching ability in Josh Reynolds and decided to give him a shot. Wow. It's the young guys that are carrying the team too, which suggests better recruiting AND player development.

Congrats to Coach Reynolds. But the best news is that AD Gragg has such an eye for coaching talent.

Does a falling tree in the forest make any noise when no one is there ?

Does a falling tree in the forest make any noise when no one is there ?
My AP Physics teacher said no, that sound requires something to generate the noise and someone to receive it, but I still think that’s garbage.

It sounds like crack-rustle-crack-rustle-tweeet-crack-boom.

My AP Physics teacher said no, that sound requires something to generate the noise and someone to receive it, but I still think that’s garbage.

It sounds like crack-rustle-crack-rustle-tweeet-crack-boom.
I've read this post 10 times now and I still don't hear anything.

Reactions: mountaindrew
Hasn't been an obstacle for Vandy, Stanford, Rice or Miami. All small private schools with high tuition.
Vandy is an interesting case. They have some sort of deal to give "financial aid" which essentially amounts to a scholarship to ballers. I doubt NU is as "generous".

Vanderbilt has been a lightning rod for how to successfully get around the 11.7 scholarships and still recruit top prospects. Coach Tim Corbin, former head coach at Presbyterian and assistant at Clemson, has turned the Commodores into an elite program with the approach.

In 2008, Vanderbilt created “Opportunity Vanderbilt,” which promised that any student who was admitted to the school would not be prevented from attending due to cost of tuition. The school looked at each student’s family income, how much it could reasonably provide for their child to attend Vanderbilt, and subtracted that from the regular cost (Vanderbilt’s tuition for the 2018-19 school year was over $70,000).

In essence, the cost of attendance was what the student and their family could afford. Some complained that it helped Vanderbilt get players through that program while allowing the school to use its 11.7 scholarships for other players.

It wasn’t that simple, as if a player chose Vanderbilt because of the school’s financial aid, he couldn’t partake in athletic aid. Yet Vandy has won two College World Series titles in the past six years and Corbin called it an advantage in a recent interview with The Athletic.

“We have more of an inroad to a kid that is (in a) lower economic (situation) who wants to be here, can be here because of his economic situation,” Corbin said. “Does it hurt us? Yeah, because we don’t get every kid we want. But you also understand, it is an advantage for us, there is no doubt.”

Vanderbilt is a private school and has that advantage over every other school in the SEC. And now it can mix and match school and athletic financial aid, much like other private schools can (Stanford, Tulane, Miami, etc.)

“Tulane, for instance, they don’t get a lot of help. They have academic aid, but at the end of the day, you couldn’t stack all this stuff,” Rogers said. “Miami’s another one in that same equation where it will help a lot.

“Some public schools, like Texas, have a program to where if your family makes under X amount of dollars, everything’s paid for. You either take that or you don’t, or you take baseball money. Now they can stack all of it.”

The schools with the biggest endowments will benefit the most but all coaches will have the same opportunity. They can tell a prospect that he can receive aid from the school with academic scholarships, Pell grants and/or loans and they can also get some money from the pool of 11.7 scholarships.

Vandy is an interesting case. They have some sort of deal to give "financial aid" which essentially amounts to a scholarship to ballers. I doubt NU is as "generous".

Vanderbilt has been a lightning rod for how to successfully get around the 11.7 scholarships and still recruit top prospects. Coach Tim Corbin, former head coach at Presbyterian and assistant at Clemson, has turned the Commodores into an elite program with the approach.

In 2008, Vanderbilt created “Opportunity Vanderbilt,” which promised that any student who was admitted to the school would not be prevented from attending due to cost of tuition. The school looked at each student’s family income, how much it could reasonably provide for their child to attend Vanderbilt, and subtracted that from the regular cost (Vanderbilt’s tuition for the 2018-19 school year was over $70,000).

In essence, the cost of attendance was what the student and their family could afford. Some complained that it helped Vanderbilt get players through that program while allowing the school to use its 11.7 scholarships for other players.

It wasn’t that simple, as if a player chose Vanderbilt because of the school’s financial aid, he couldn’t partake in athletic aid. Yet Vandy has won two College World Series titles in the past six years and Corbin called it an advantage in a recent interview with The Athletic.

“We have more of an inroad to a kid that is (in a) lower economic (situation) who wants to be here, can be here because of his economic situation,” Corbin said. “Does it hurt us? Yeah, because we don’t get every kid we want. But you also understand, it is an advantage for us, there is no doubt.”

Vanderbilt is a private school and has that advantage over every other school in the SEC. And now it can mix and match school and athletic financial aid, much like other private schools can (Stanford, Tulane, Miami, etc.)

“Tulane, for instance, they don’t get a lot of help. They have academic aid, but at the end of the day, you couldn’t stack all this stuff,” Rogers said. “Miami’s another one in that same equation where it will help a lot.

“Some public schools, like Texas, have a program to where if your family makes under X amount of dollars, everything’s paid for. You either take that or you don’t, or you take baseball money. Now they can stack all of it.”

The schools with the biggest endowments will benefit the most but all coaches will have the same opportunity. They can tell a prospect that he can receive aid from the school with academic scholarships, Pell grants and/or loans and they can also get some money from the pool of 11.7 scholarships.

So it can be done…

Reactions: lunker35
It can. Will NU do it?
Well NU already matches all family financial need with our insanely massive endowment, so, I don’t see why it should be an issue.

I didn’t say NU should kick ass and dominate the big ten and go to CWS all the time. The Big Ten is a bad baseball conference. There isn’t a good reason NU can’t frequently have competitive years like this one, which would be a big improvement over most of the last few decades. I’m not asking for Augie Garrido here.

Well NU already matches all family financial need with our insanely massive endowment, so, I don’t see why it should be an issue.

I didn’t say NU should kick ass and dominate the big ten and go to CWS all the time. The Big Ten is a bad baseball conference. There isn’t a good reason NU can’t frequently have competitive years like this one, which would be a big improvement over most of the last few decades. I’m not asking for Augie Garrido here.
Big Ten is not a bad baseball conference. They’re just not elite like they are in most other sports. They’re still very competitive.

Big Ten is not a bad baseball conference. They’re just not elite like they are in most other sports. They’re still very competitive.

Hey @lunker35, all things considered, the Cats have had a decent year by NU standards. Does Reynolds still have the Interim tag? Will he be the guy moving forward? How is this affecting recruiting? Any insight here? Thx

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
To Lunker or anyone else who knows:

Is any ex-Cat now in organized baseball? A few years back there were several in the majors or in the pipeline, but now? I can't locate J. A. Happ or Luke Farrell now, for instance.

Eric Jokisch has gotten off to a good start in Korea. 2.02 ERA after six starts.

Hey @lunker35, all things considered, the Cats have had a decent year by NU standards. Does Reynolds still have the Interim tag? Will he be the guy moving forward? How is this affecting recruiting? Any insight here? Thx
One would hope it’s being considered, years like this ought to be basically the norm for NU. Old Rocky Miller Park was a total joke, but the new facilities are quality and it seems like NU ought to have plenty to offer the non major MLB prospect (out of HS) sorts of guys that make up Big Ten rosters.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
One would hope it’s being considered, years like this ought to be basically the norm for NU. Old Rocky Miller Park was a total joke, but the new facilities are quality and it seems like NU ought to have plenty to offer the non major MLB prospect (out of HS) sorts of guys that make up Big Ten rosters.

Agreed. Hopefully the momentum Allen was building will continue.

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
I don’t think it’s impacted recruiting as they’ve recruited well through this. I would love to see the interim tag disappear though as I think he and the rest of the staff are great. I think they’re building a better squad every year.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
To Lunker or anyone else who knows:

Is any ex-Cat now in organized baseball? A few years back there were several in the majors or in the pipeline, but now? I can't locate J. A. Happ or Luke Farrell now, for instance.

Eric Jokisch has gotten off to a good start in Korea. 2.02 ERA after six starts.
There are a handful of guys in the minors. I can see if I’m able to dig it up later but my guess is around 5. Nobody really close to the show though. I need to check on J.A. as I don’t think he’s formally retired yet. Kontos is doing studio work for the Giants.

NU Ballers are down three touchdown to dOSU in the second game of a double dip, having already lost game 1. Not a great weekend for NU soft-and hard-ballers.
We can always count on Luke Donald to triple bogie and bring us all back down to earth 🌍!

Reactions: mountaindrew
Why can't lefthanders throw a ball "straight"-one of life's wonders

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT