ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Springing into Spring - Our Football Fortunes Hope Eternal

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
First it was stpaulcat optimistically checking in with encouraging commentary regarding the season ahead and then this morning Alvious piled on with posting of a thread titled, "Why do I feel like we're actually going to be pretty good in football this year?

Evidently with Spring comes revitalization. Yesterday on a visit to Lake Tahoe I even found Rocky out searching for Bullwinkle to add Moose karma. (Scroll down to 2nd to last photo, assuming all photos post)

Spring begins to arrive this morning along Lake Tahoe's East Shore Trail below the still snow covered mountains:
IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0172_dRA5gPcZJVbf2bDTLNTgrN.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0120_spq5PJ2d5bT9mPgXo8dvn7.jpg

IMG_0128_nyiR3DJBvWgEraWc11cyZS.jpg

IMG_0152_mMshvaMFccR43DUi3a7qpv.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

@1630Boston said:
fiomcyaa2q12.png

What kind of squirrel is that?
There are two types of squirrels that predominantly habitat the Lake Tahoe basin. One is a tree squirrel known as the Douglas Squirrel or Chickaree. The other is a ground squirrel known as the Golden Mantled Ground Squirrel which is the one pictured in my photo. It belongs to a larger group of Sierra Ground Squirrels.

OK, here is some unique history related to the Chinese Woodcutting Camps that included the Lake Tahoe area.

A temporary exhibit currently on display at the Nevada State Museum in Carson City features the Chinese Woodcutters whose efforts made mining of the gold and silver possible by supplying the vast quantities of wood that were necessary for operation of the steam engines that powered the mining equipment.

These photos were taken last week while visiting the Carson City Mint building and the Nevada State Museum in which it is located. Scroll down for the story regarding the 1893-S dime found in an abandoned camp and its historical significance.

IMG_9719.jpg

IMG_9715.jpg

IMG_9718_hNafyTE5ho7DboabLNVPSE.jpg

IMG_9713_dDMSGnhFozhyGjxrp5BuBm.jpg

IMG_9714_7iZKUCEiZjezJNsU8ULMDt.jpg

Among the relics and artifacts from the once existent Chinese wood cutting camps were these coins:

IMG_9700.jpg

IMG_9702_6ijQRnu8Yg9TVra8t5wGvV.jpg

IMG_9705.jpg

IMG_9706_4YbkP65XSUHm1k4M84rKAk.jpg

Another display included in the exhibit featuring the Chinese wood cutting camps were these artifacts which included the finding of a small jar with Chinese lettering that shared a poignant message.

The message is as applicable and instructive to us today as it was to the small groups of men organized into the Chinese wood cutting camps - "Profit Together."

IMG_9698.jpg

IMG_9695_tCRZssNQd327HS2GqvfTMa.jpg

IMG_9696_aMC4cw3dx3mVxLfZj25DSh.jpg

OK, here is some unique history related to the Chinese Woodcutting Camps that included the Lake Tahoe area.

A temporary exhibit currently on display at the Nevada State Museum in Carson City features the Chinese Woodcutters whose efforts made mining of the gold and silver possible by supplying the vast quantities of wood that were necessary for operation of the steam engines that powered the mining equipment.

These photos were taken last week while visiting the Carson City Mint building and the Nevada State Museum in which it is located. Scroll down for the story regarding the 1893-S dime found in an abandoned camp and its historical significance.

IMG_9719.jpg

IMG_9715.jpg

IMG_9718_hNafyTE5ho7DboabLNVPSE.jpg

IMG_9713_dDMSGnhFozhyGjxrp5BuBm.jpg

IMG_9714_7iZKUCEiZjezJNsU8ULMDt.jpg

Among the relics and artifacts from the once existent Chinese wood cutting camps were these coins:

IMG_9700.jpg

IMG_9702_6ijQRnu8Yg9TVra8t5wGvV.jpg

IMG_9705.jpg

IMG_9706_4YbkP65XSUHm1k4M84rKAk.jpg

Another display included in the exhibit featuring the Chinese wood cutting camps were these artifacts which included the finding of a small jar with Chinese lettering that shared a poignant message.

The message is as applicable and instructive to us today as it was to the small groups of men organized into the Chinese wood cutting camps - "Profit Together."

IMG_9698.jpg

IMG_9695_tCRZssNQd327HS2GqvfTMa.jpg

IMG_9696_aMC4cw3dx3mVxLfZj25DSh.jpg
Hope springs eternal at the beginning of Baseball seasons as well and for many teams (such as White Sox this year) then quickly dashed. No if you had actually seen a moose rather than just Rocky...

Hope springs eternal at the beginning of Baseball seasons as well and for many teams (such as White Sox this year) then quickly dashed. No if you had actually seen a moose rather than just Rocky...
Damn Sox plus my new consulting gig in Ft Myers has me wanting to give up and become a rays fan. But like my bear fandom, I can’t get it to grab hold. Can’t force myself to learn about them.

I’m doomed - Sox, Bears, either NUFB or NUMBB (hopefully never both again…), Bulls, Hawks…

At least I get to enjoy the Cubs for awhile…

Speaking of Spring with its renewal of hope, this week in Alaska saw a surprise snow storm. It looked like we would be seeing May plowers instead of May flowers.

In any event, I missed all the fun.

Tomorrow will be heading back to Alaska after having spent several days here in Hawaii in conjunction with a scheduled Hearing that ended up with a successful resolution.

Here are views from Thursday of a Full Moon seen alongside Oahu's Dormant Koko Head Crater.

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0600_6Gh5XLp7CdDG97mnT8vwsY.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0640_(1).jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

Last edited:
Rick Steves has nothing on Alaska.

It will take a few moose stampedes to suggest NU is going to have a decent football season. No bigger homer than myself, but NU is rebuilding and paying some dues. That's right, more dues. And more to follow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT