ADVERTISEMENT

Our guy is in the portal: Malik Mack, Harvard

Right. Nance was #88 in the 247 composite. Kopp was #114 in the composite but #86 on just the 247 rating.

But I am talking about transfers. I have googled it and am finding it very hard to find info. I have some memory of seeing Ryan Taylor listed at like 30-50 on some best transfers list.

We were in decent spot, returned a lot of talent. We are in that kind of spot, one could argue even better today. But, at the same time, the competitive landscape now includes NIL.

I just caught myself on the Tony Perkins kind of enthusiasm. I am curbing my enthusiasm. Langborg 2.0 (not the player, but the kind of get) kind of recruit would be incredible.
I am guessing AJ Turner was also in the top 50 transfers.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Apples to oranges I think when comparing AJ Turner to his fellow transfers.
Those guys had to sit out a year.
So sure he was in the Top 50, but thats probably equal to #400 now.

And whatever ratings service had Ryan Langborg as the #267 transfer last year should just shut down due to incompetence!

I don’t know how many of these guys can get through admissions but last year there were plenty of really good players in the 75-150 range. Mast and Williams at Nebraska, Hawkins at Minnesota, Domask, etc. But Collins may have his hands tied on most of these guys.
Agree on this. Doesn’t NU still have a policy in place that you have to do at least half of your coursework at NU to get a degree? That limits the pool even further.

Related to this, I’m curious as to whether Dusty May fully realizes the extent of this challenge at Michigan. It isn’t in the same ballpark as the challenge at NU, but they seem to be the only other B1G school that has some sort of standard. Caleb Love committed as a transfer and couldn’t get past admissions. TSJ couldn’t get past admissions when transferring from Texas Tech. Dusty probably thinks he’s going to take all of Goldin, Davis and Martin with him and I wouldn’t be surprised if Michigan said “no, no and no” to all 3.

Apples to oranges I think when comparing AJ Turner to his fellow transfers.
Those guys had to sit out a year.
So sure he was in the Top 50, but thats probably equal to #400 now.

And whatever ratings service had Ryan Langborg as the #267 transfer last year should just shut down due to incompetence!
He was a 4-star recruit out of high school, was 6’7”, and was a decent passer and shooter. I’m guessing if he were transferring today he would be in the top 75 or higher.

These lists are a dime a dozen. I recall Pete Nance was one of the highest ranked transfers, top five on many lists. Teams need to prioritize their specific needs and get the right fit. Langborg was a home run for us, culturally and skill-wise. The obvious needs for next year are PG and Big. I’m sure Collins and his staff are leaving no stone unturned. In fact they’re likely #PoundingTheRock.

Agree on this. Doesn’t NU still have a policy in place that you have to do at least half of your coursework at NU to get a degree? That limits the pool even further.

Related to this, I’m curious as to whether Dusty May fully realizes the extent of this challenge at Michigan. It isn’t in the same ballpark as the challenge at NU, but they seem to be the only other B1G school that has some sort of standard. Caleb Love committed as a transfer and couldn’t get past admissions. TSJ couldn’t get past admissions when transferring from Texas Tech. Dusty probably thinks he’s going to take all of Goldin, Davis and Martin with him and I wouldn’t be surprised if Michigan said “no, no and no” to all 3.
Nojel Eastern, from Evanston, who we offered out of high school, did not get past admissions at Michigan when transferring from Purdue.

Joshua Ala-Joseph, from MN, hit the portal.

Like WI's Essegian, he saw his play time drastically reduced. He was probably the most promising player they had, outside Battle/Garcia, in 22/23. 6'7 forward.

May is not dumb. I think safe to assume he knows/knew the possibilities of those three transferring into Michigan before accepting the job. The fact all three have graduated greatly increase the possibility of them being cleared by admissions. I fully expect at least on to be in Maize & Blue next season.

May is not dumb. I think safe to assume he knows/knew the possibilities of those three transferring into Michigan before accepting the job. The fact all three have graduated greatly increase the possibility of them being cleared by admissions. I fully expect at least on to be in Maize & Blue next season.
Didn’t realize they had all graduated. That certainly changes the likelihood of them getting in.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Tony Perkins

MinutesPointsReboundsAssistsStealsTurnoversFG%3P%FT Att.

Just the evolution of his points/reb/ass should make you salivate. He raises it a smidge, in a team that is solid and he's borderline all conference. He will be a super senior, tons of experience, not in an Ivy, in the B1G. He's strong, he attempts FT at a higher rate. Sure it would be nice if he could shoot better, particularly from 3. But damn, I'd be throwing the kitchen sink at this guy.
Yes. I didn’t realize how much he had grown offensively. Not great beyond the arc, but he’s a better offensive player than Barney.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Yes. I didn’t realize how much he had grown offensively. Not great beyond the arc, but he’s a better offensive player than Barney.
Perkins would immediately be the best player on our team, and I say that as somebody who is excited and comfortable going into next year with the excellent and constantly improving Barnheizer as our best player.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Yeah, and for all our talk on Mack and Carlyle, I'm afraid the same fate awaits them as well. If they still want to go to a great school and play big-time basketball, why not go to Duke? And if they want to play big-time basketball but no longer need big-time academics, their options open up even more. I feel like NU has a chance with Mack, but it's not a very big chance.
I think the idea is that we have a very solid pitch to a PG: The NU system turned out a consensus All Big Ten first team player and an All-American. You’re next up.

Power conference, coaching stability, fan support, chance to make history… a lot of draws for someone who wants to stand out from the crowd.

Tony Perkins is not going to be a Wildcat.
His offer list coming out of high school was
Iowa, Bradley, Miami (OH), Ball State and a few lesser schools.
Congrats to Fran McCaffrey for seeing the talent and (possibly) developing Perkins.

But that list of schools strongly suggests Perkins is not academically ready for Northwestern...
So he will probably play for a basketball school in the Big 12 or the SEC.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Congrats to Fran McCaffrey for seeing the talent and (possibly) developing Perkins.

But that list of schools strongly suggests Perkins is not academically ready for Northwestern...
We need to get to the point where if we want a guy we can get him in. Our education is no different than any of the schools you listed. The difference is getting in the door.

If he’s a graduate student, I don’t think it matters. (Certainly, it shouldn’t. Many, many grad programs are just cash grabs. “Yes, have your certificate.”)

Perhaps he could take police motorcycle training.

Reactions: IGNORE2
FYI I hear Mack already has a destination and it’s not us. NIL motivated

Tough to look at a kid’s offer list to decide on academics. More worrisome in that respect are the complete lack of academic accolades either in college or high school in his official Iowa bio: https://hawkeyesports.com/roster/tony-perkins/

Considering that academic All-Big Ten simply requires a >3.0 GPA, that’s not a super high bar… but it is also the bar that NU supposedly requires of its incoming transfers.

FYI I hear Mack already has a destination and it’s not us. NIL motivated
Does anyone on this board have a decent grasp on what kind of competitiveness we have when it comes to NIL?

Academically, even knowing how our admissions are, I feel optimistic about the chances of anyone who already graduated. I think that's a different ball game.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
I heard over the weekend that Boo could have gotten 7 figures had he been open to going elsewhere. But he wanted to stay and there was enough NIL money to make him feel he was not leaving too much on the table.

Infer from that what you will. My math tells me: $1m * 50% is the low end.

So Northwestern can generate a decent-sized check but it only gets us competitive for someone who sees value in non-monetary aspects of the school and the program.

I have it from a decent (not official) source that Cooper Flagg really wanted to go to UCONN, who offered him $2M. He went to Duke for $4M.
I feel like swearing.

I have no idea what numbers are being thrown out there, but a freshman, with very very occasional exceptions, even if he is the #1 recruit in the country, is not as valuable on the court as the top transfers in the country.

Reactions: drewjin
Does anyone on this board have a decent grasp on what kind of competitiveness we have when it comes to NIL?

Academically, even knowing how our admissions are, I feel optimistic about the chances of anyone who already graduated. I think that's a different ball game.
In 2023, NU received 8700 applications for Graduate programs, including the medical school, law school, Kellogg and all others.. Of those applicants 2328 were accepted. Of those people, 818 enrolled.

So less than 30% acceptance rate for the grad schools. Compared to 4% (?) for undergrad.

I feel like swearing.

I have no idea what numbers are being thrown out there, but a freshman, with very very occasional exceptions, even if he is the #1 recruit in the country, is not as valuable on the court as the top transfers in the country.
Cooper Flagg is one of the best players in recent history. Worth every penny. No doubt #1 pick in next year's draft barring injury.

I feel like swearing.

Cooper Flag is getting $4 million from Duke only because the NBA won’t permit him to go pro yet. If he went pro he’d be the #1 pick and be making over $11 million per year on a multi-year guaranteed deal. So you can give the pearls a rest.

Reactions: cedricmelons
I feel like swearing.

It’s interesting to know the unofficial market value of these guys. It’s wild but also makes sense.

How many millions of dollars was Boo worth to NU?

As good as Flagg might be, I agree that a Perkins type is probably more valuable as a fifth-year senior. There’ll be a real nice sweet spot for those guys who fit the “great college player, probably not an NBA guy” mold. Stack some paper stateside before getting more overseas — or better yet, with money far less of an issue, with the ability to stay in the G-League and develop their games nightly in front of NBA scouts.

It’s interesting to know the unofficial market value of these guys. It’s wild but also makes sense.

As good as Flagg might be, I agree that a Perkins type is probably more valuable as a fifth-year senior. There’ll be a real nice sweet spot for those guys who fit the “great college player, probably not an NBA guy” mold. Stack some paper stateside before getting more overseas — or better yet, with money far less of an issue, with the ability to stay in the G-League and develop their games nightly in front of NBA scouts.
Perkins is probably more of a sure thing as a high level contributor, for Flagg is the type of guy who could single handedly push you to a championship.

Go ahead and take a look at the recruiting rankings for next year and consider how horrifying Duke is going to be, by the way. One of the best recruiting classes ever with multiple lottery picks. I kinda thought Duke would take a step back after Coach K and I was simply wrong as shit.

Cooper Flag is getting $4 million from Duke only because the NBA won’t permit him to go pro yet. If he went pro he’d be the #1 pick and be making over $11 million per year on a multi-year guaranteed deal. So you can give the pearls a rest.
Why does it matter what he would make were he allowed to go directly to the NBA?

The argument was he wasn’t worth $4 million because… reasons and old man grumbling… when in reality he’s actually worth over twice that.
I think you're doing a little apples to oranges comparison. He might be worth twice that to an NBA team that can expect to develop him for at least 4 years and then has the option to sign him for more. He's not necessarily worth that to a college program that likely only has him for one year (and can't sell nearly as many tickets as an NBA team), thus having to live through the developmental struggles without reaping the reward.

I think you're doing a little apples to oranges comparison. He might be worth twice that to an NBA team that can expect to develop him for at least 4 years and then has the option to sign him for more. He's not necessarily worth that to a college program that likely only has him for one year (and can't sell nearly as many tickets as an NBA team), thus having to live through the developmental struggles without reaping the reward.
I’ll take the opinion of Duke basketball over you two, but that’s fine, we can agree to disagree.

I’ll take the opinion of Duke basketball over you two, but that’s fine, we can agree to disagree.
It's not an opinion about the player. I have no opinion about Flagg. I had never heard of him until this thread. I just take issue with your claim that because he might make $11mm in the NBA that means he's worth that much to Duke. Even Duke doesn't think that.

Reactions: peatymeanis
Kid, please quote me where I said he's not worth $4M. If you do I will change my mind you just love to have a contrarian opnion.

Can I call you kid seeing you implied I am a literal or figurative old man?

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2

The *funny* thing about these NIL "salaries" is that they are not even funded by the pot money that accrues to athletic departments due to media revenues.

It is indicative of the nation's appetite for professional sports and the affinity that alumni fanbases have for their blue chip programs.

For schools like NU, it also underscores the importance of our conference affiliation and the revenues it provides to our athletic departments. We are obviously not NIL behemoths right now (I think that might change with some well-heeled alumni starting to distinguish between their fondness of NU the institution and NU athletics), but I still think we are well placed to succeed in this new brave new world of college athletics.

Michael Thompson the first was a 5-star from Duke who was supposed to help Carmody win even though he couldn’t score from five feet out. So yeah…we’ve transferred in some ballyhooed players, and there’s usually a reason people leave Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT