ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Fitzgerald needs to be fired

And if Nebraska doesn't fumble twice at the goal line, we lose by 20! We can't expect to get all the breaks every game.

If Thorson doesn't throw the ball right to the Nebraska guy on the first drive of the second half, maybe we end up ahead 14-10. If our starting cornerbacks were playing, maybe we'd be give up fewer completions. If, if, if.

Yeah, who could possibly fire PF?
You can't fire a NU HC just because in 10 complete seasons he hasn't even won a lowly division title ... NOT when you know full well that in the immediately preceding decade NU won ONLY THREE (3) B1G crowns!!

Give the guy a break!

And don't overlook that he has won more than 3 B1G games in 40% of his seasons (and always won at least one!!)

And remember that, in the 3 seasons immediately preceding his tenure, NU only won 4, 5 and 5 B1G games. It only took PF TEN seasons to eclipse the 5-B1G-win mark...yeah, only by one, but still good.

Give the guy 10 more years...he will (almost certainly) win 7 B1G games after 10 more seasos...which (maybe) leads to a division title (with some luck)....After that, you given him 10 more seasons, and (hopefully) he'll get a B1G crown by his 30th year....Just because the previous coaches won the B1G in only a few years (taking the program in much worse shape), it doesn't exactly mean you should expect PF to win one in less than 30 years!! Each one has its own speed!!

Be fair to him...that's all we are asking.

P.S. And don't forget bowls!!!! As HC he has taken NU to SIX of them, and WON ONE!!!!

I think it's fair to say all of this but Pat has graduated our guys and avoided all scandal. We have won some games and finally won a bowl.

I'm okay with giving him a year or two with the new facility. He basically got it built.

If we could get an OC with Hankwitz's resume, well damn.

Art Briles anyone? BTW, before anyone gets all snippity about that, Kenneth Starr just reported that Briles was completely railroaded. Hell, I wouldn't mind if we brought in Gary Barnett. He's no older thank Hank is he? At least Barnett could clean house and bring in a qualified staff and maybe teach Fitz a few things.

You've brought up this idea before so I asked some boosters who keep in touch with Barney. Gary would not come back to NU as an assistant at his age and work for a protege. Too awkward on multiple fronts.

I seem to remember that Illinois has bought out 2 HC's and hired a former NFL coach, Purdue has made changes and Wilson, right now is a better HC then Fitz. First, if Fitz really means what he says, as " it's on me" then he needs to fire all of the offensive coaches and maybe a couple of D guys as well ASAP. Then if that doesn't turn things around, Phillips should fire/buy out Fitz, period.

Wilson is not a better head coach. He can't even beat Pat.

There's only one NU football supporter with the financial wherewithal to buy out Fitz's contract and he's a HUGE PF fan.

Huh? I've said it before but there are several big-time donors involved with athletics who could easily afford Pat's buyout. Beyond the athletics donors we have NU donors to the library, for example, that include the founder of Discover and the one-time CEO of Crate and Barrel. They can easily afford the buyout, which I'm sure would be negotiated.

Art Briles anyone? BTW, before anyone gets all snippity about that, Kenneth Starr just reported that Briles was completely railroaded. Hell, I wouldn't mind if we brought in Gary Barnett. He's no older thank Hank is he? At least Barnett could clean house and bring in a qualified staff and maybe teach Fitz a few things.
Post of the season!

I think it's fair to say all of this but Pat has graduated our guys and avoided all scandal. We have won some games and finally won a bowl.

I'm okay with giving him a year or two with the new facility. He basically got it built.
So? So did Pont, Venturi, Green, and Peay.

Ok, just as a simple point of fact, this statement is completely wrong. There are dozens of guys (and gals) with more than enough money to do that. You probably sit near them at games and would never know it - and that's by design.

You have no clue how expensive it would be to buy out four or five years of a B1G HC's contract, do you?

Art Briles in Evanston would be a disaster.

Reactions: YesterdaysCat
Huh? I've said it before but there are several big-time donors involved with athletics who could easily afford Pat's buyout. Beyond the athletics donors we have NU donors to the library, for example, that include the founder of Discover and the one-time CEO of Crate and Barrel. They can easily afford the buyout, which I'm sure would be negotiated.

And how many of those library donors give tens of millions of dollars to the football program?

Why stop at Fitz? Fire Mort, too. And the board prez. Throw in the Sultan of Brunei and guys who created Krusty the Clown. Come to think of it, let's fire GOD.

And let's fire some other coaches while we're at it! Ferentz? Last season was clearly a fluke as he just lost to NDSU and nearly lost to Rutgers without their best player! And D'antonio? He just got his butt absolutely whipped by Wisky-- with the talent he has, he should be shown the door as well Urban Meyer? Well, you got me, he's probably safe, but who knows on this board?

And let's fire some other coaches while we're at it! Ferentz? Last season was clearly a fluke as he just lost to NDSU and nearly lost to Rutgers without their best player! And D'antonio? He just got his butt absolutely whipped by Wisky-- with the talent he has, he should be shown the door as well Urban Meyer? Well, you got me, he's probably safe, but who knows on this board?
have any of those bad coaches never won a Division, Conference or Big Ten Championship? Have any of them not been in the top ten nationally? Get back to me when NU, under Fitzgerald does one of those things.

have any of those bad coaches never won a Division, Conference or Big Ten Championship? Have any of them not been in the top ten nationally? Get back to me when NU, under Fitzgerald does one of those things.

Get back to me when you can find a single reputable person who know what he is talking about who wants Fitz fired. I'll wait....

Get back to me when you can find a single reputable person who know what he is talking about who wants Fitz fired. I'll wait....
Guess we will wait and hear what Phillips has to say. Or maybe Ryan. Or maybe...

I don't think Fitz should be fired but Cushing and Springer and perhaps McCall should definitely be fired 2 seasons ago. Briles is not an option as whether one thinks he "knew" or not that he had a bunch of sexual predators on his team he would be a PR nightmare. As far as the D we knew they would not be as good as last year but unlike prior years I do not see a rising star on defense

If Thorson doesn't throw the ball right to the Nebraska guy on the first drive of the second half, maybe we end up ahead 14-10. If our starting cornerbacks were playing, maybe we'd be give up fewer completions. If, if, if.
I agree - there were plenty of missed opportunities on our end, and we need to take advantage of those in order to win. My concern, when looking at the big picture, is that Nebraska dominated many aspects of the game, so it's not like we can just say we need to make a few tweaks and we'll be fine.

guys who created Krusty the Clown
That seems very drastic!!!.. I am a PF fan for the kind of person he is, I guess. I am disappointed in the record but I think expectations were to high this year which I think is the result of having had some recruiting success. This is a pretty young team this year who has had some critical injuries. I actually thought they made some improvements in this game in a couple of areas. We still seem to get victimized at defensive end. I guess I was more disappointed in the fan turnout than anything else. I would think that having to play at home in front of the away teams crowd has got to be a little disheartening.
I know bad product, loss to Illinois St, etc.......It will take a good coaching staff to keep the team moving forward.

What kinda stupid-ass post is this? Is this supposed to be funny?

In fairness, he was wearing his shirt out with shorts a couple of weeks ago -- a classic guy trick when you've packed on an extra 20...

Don't ask me how I know about these things... :(

You have no clue how expensive it would be to buy out four or five years of a B1G HC's contract, do you?

And you have no clue how many people can write 9 figure checks. And that buyout would be nowhere near a 9 figure check.

But keep digging in without any idea what you're taking about.

And by the way, it's pretty obnoxious the way you addressed this. Do really think it's hard to do that simple multiplication of comp x years plus any severance or liquidated damages or any other throw ins come among with a c-level contract? or were you just being a condescending know-it-all? Just like the video you presumed I hadn't seen that showed how wrong you were about what Fitz said.

Last edited:
Why stop at Fitz? Fire Mort, too. And the board prez. Throw in the Sultan of Brunei and guys who created Krusty the Clown. Come to think of it, let's fire GOD.
Firing God is not an option at this point, even less so than firing Fitz. I am surprised you are unaware that God resigned in a pique more than 90 years ago. He was devastated when the powers-that-be declared "Wildcats" as the official team name instead of his preferred one, "The Fighting Methodists". Upon leaving his declaration that he would make NU fandom a "living Hell", has mostly been true.

I like all nu sports. Its just too dam tough to compete with the power house BT programs year in and year out! As a former NU athlete, I can say this with certainty,Fitz is one of the best coaches we have ever had in any sport! He is a top ten coach in college football who can leave Nu at anytime and make 3 million per year.

Dude, you are totally out of your mind. He's a fraud and always was. He should be a recruiting coordinator or linebackers coach, at best !

And how many of those library donors give tens of millions of dollars to the football program?

I think the point was that NU has no shortage of wealthy donors. Do I really need to name athletic boosters to satisfy you that they exist and have given big amounts? Nobody has given as much as Ryan, but a good start is to look at the lakefill athletic facilities and the names attached.

Don't forget "anonymous". Anonymous gives a hell of a lot of money to a hell of a lot of things - more than anybody else in the world by a long shot... I don't know how that guy finds the time to write all those checks. :)

So? So did Pont, Venturi, Green, and Peay.

Not even true!

Pont - whispers of not managing the athletic dept properly
Venturi - accusations of racism/favoritism that led to protests
Green - rumors about players on steroids

Have you forgotten everything that you ever knew about NU football?

Not even true!

Pont - whispers of not managing the athletic dept properly
Venturi - accusations of racism/favoritism that led to protests
Green - rumors about players on steroids

Have you forgotten everything that you ever knew about NU football?
Wow, whispers, accusations and rumors. Has anyone else heard of such b.s.? I haven't and have been following NU football since the late 50's.

And if Nebraska doesn't fumble twice at the goal line, we lose by 20! We can't expect to get all the breaks every game.

Or Armstrong missing an open Westerkamp a few times in the EZ.

FItz is a not a great X's and O's coach; he's a very good face for the program, but is a CEO-type HC who needs to hire the right people for his staff, esp. the co-ordinator spots.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Or Armstrong missing an open Westerkamp a few times in the EZ.

FItz is a not a great X's and O's coach; he's a very good face for the program, but is a CEO-type HC who needs to hire the right people for his staff, esp. the co-ordinator spots.
Mite look good in the AD's office.

Wow, whispers, accusations and rumors. Has anyone else heard of such b.s.? I haven't and have been following NU football since the late 50's.

You must be blind and deaf then. The Venturi mess, for example, was front page news on campus and sports front page news in Chicago. I can't stand people who are so ignorant that their best line of argument is "I'm an old POS so therefore I know a lot." Not!

Typically a B1G (and most) HC buyout is in the vicinity of one year worth of salary (regardless of how many years are left in his contract). If you have details about PF's contract and know his is much different then illustrate us. I reckon you don't.

The buyout is very rarely equal or remotely close to paying the full salary for the remaining length of the contract (except obviously when only one year is left in the contract). If NU signed such BO in a contract of a relatively inexperienced only very modestly successful (even for NU's standards) HC the incompetence of those involved in the admin side may be much greater than ever imagined.

Typically a B1G (and most) HC buyout is in the vicinity of one year worth of salary (regardless of how many years are left in his contract). If you have details about PF's contract and know his is much different then illustrate us. I reckon you don't.

The buyout is very rarely equal or remotely close to paying the full salary for the remaining length of the contract (except obviously when only one year is left in the contract). If NU signed such BO in a contract of a relatively inexperienced only very modestly successful (even for NU's standards) HC the incompetence of those involved in the admin side may be much greater than ever imagined.

If I even heard of creditable rumor of NU looking into buying out his contract this year, I will become an Illini fan!

What is the basis of your knowledge of typical terms for 8-figure long-term employment contracts?

You must be blind and deaf then. The Venturi mess, for example, was front page news on campus and sports front page news in Chicago. I can't stand people who are so ignorant that their best line of argument is "I'm an old POS so therefore I know a lot." Not!

Hey! That's my strategy!

Oh, and don't forget the grumblings of racial favoritism going on while Pont was coaching (bogus, IMO). At least the Daily NU was trying to whip that into a story.

I guess you're not a "Big NU Fan", then.

Looks like most NU alum and NU STH are not either. Or all those STHs are colorblind and grabbed red instead of purple.

The koolaid klan really needs to admit that there are big problems that start with the coaches. Call it recruiting, developing, play calling, clock management... If changes aren't made sooner than later, I think it is fair to discuss wholesale changes.

I really like Hank. If I were to blow this thing up, I would probably 'promote' Fitz to Asst AD or something, and either promote Hank or bring in a high quality replacement. Then I would look hard and critically at all the personnel - coaches to grounds crew. I would arm the new regime with this commitment to excellence (while loosening the purse strings for coaching salaries) to recruit up. And I would have an understanding with the new HC that the assistant coaches have a short leash or he has a short contract.

Pile on about face of the program, loyalty, whatever. I offered to take mike up on a 3 win season bet. Is that what we are prepared to accept going forward? If we examine fitz's record and account for outliers, is it a program on the way up? Is that ok?

And besides wasting the career of JJTBC, what message does it convey to the next JJTBC recruit? Would you want to come to NU to play if you had a variety of alternatives?

I'm aware of all of them...and more. You must have been too busy complaining and not paying attention, Willy. Hello?

[Once again, the ignore feature keeps Willy ignorant.]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT