ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS RECRUITING Point Guard Recruiting News & Notes

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Northwestern recently made the Top 6 for a pair of 2022 point guards -- Rowan Brumbaugh and Ben Shtolzberg -- and I've been talking to sources about the Wildcats' chances.

Shtolzberg, as he tweeted yesterday, will announce his decision on Sunday. His Top 6 is Butler, Creighton, Northwestern, Virginia Tech and Rutgers, along with Israeli pro club Maccabi Tel Aviv.

I've been talking to sources, and it appears that it's going to come down to Northwestern or Creighton for the 6-foot-4 floor general. And unfortunately, it looks like the Blue Jays are the consensus favorite. The Blue Jays just put a pair of guards in the NBA -- Ty-Shon Alexander of the Suns and Marcus Zegarowski, who was drafted by the Nets -- so I'm sure that's carrying a lot of weight.

As a result, Shtolzberg could be next in the line of point men who have turned down the Cats in this class. That list that includes Denver Anglin (Georgetown), Christian Winborne (St. Joe's) and Dasonte Bowen (Iowa).

However, the news isn't all bad.

It appears that Northwestern is very much in the hunt for Brumbaugh, a three-star prospect from Northfield (Mass.) Mt. Hermon, the same NEPSAC program that produced Aaron Falzon. The 6-foot-4 DC native has pulled in some impressive offers recently and yesterday tweeted a Top 6 that includes Kansas, Maryland, Miami, Oregon and Texas, along with Northwestern. While that's some formidable competition, Brumbaugh's parents are reportedly sold on Northwestern's academics. That's not unusual, of course. Now we'll see if they can sell the player, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News