ADVERTISEMENT

Portal update

Players in the portal...

AJ Storr. Wisconsin departee supposedly will go to Illinois.

Connor Essegian - Wisconsin departee who lost his spot in rotation because of Storr.

Christian Reeves - Duke 7'1" sophomore center who couldn't get past Ryan Young on the depth chart.

Cliff Omoruyi - leaving Rutgers just as top backcourt recruits arrive.

Vladislav Goldin and Johnell Davis - leaving FAU because their coach took the Michigan job.

Tony Perkins - leaving Iowa to get paid as a grad student.

Meechie Johnson - heads back to Ohio State after 2 years there, then 2 years at South Carolina.

Dug McDaniel - leaves Michigan after academic issues and a coaching change.

Skyy Clark - leaves Louisville one year after leaving Illinois.

Saint Thomas - Leaves North Colorado a year after leaving Loyola. With that name, he probably should have stayed at Loyola.

Danny Wolf - current Yale sophomore 7'0" 255 lbs. Only looking at high academic schools. First Team Ivy League. Rumored that Michigan has the edge.

Malik Mack - current Harvard freshman guard. Ivy League freshman of the year.

Dain Dainja - that didn't take long. Illinois center lost ground this season after initially with Baylor.

Clark Slajchert - Penn point guard, grad transfer. 2nd team All Ivy League.

Sincere Parker - leaving Saint Louis University. A phenomenal scorer. Not academically up to NU reqs.

Gibson Jimmerson - grad transfer from Saint Louis University. Good shooter from 3. Defensive liability.

Stef Van Bussel - Dutch citizen leaving Saint Louis University after freshman season. 6'10" 255 and physical.

Joe Hurlburt - twin brother of NU's Gus, leaving Colorado.

Carey Booth - top 75 type leaves Notre Dame after 1 season. 6'10" stringbean.

Brandon Angel - grad transfer from Stanford 6'8" 240. Frontcourt depth/talent. 45% on 3's last season.

Chris Manon - grad transfer from Cornell. versatile guard for depth.

Mawot Mag - Rutgers forward. 6'7" 215 lbs athlete. frontcourt depth. Grad transfer.

Players in the portal...

Connor Essegian - Wisconsin departee who lost his spot in rotation because of Storr.

Christian Reeves - Duke 7'1" sophomore center who couldn't get past Ryan Young on the depth chart.

Vladislav Goldin and Johnell Davis - leaving FAU because their coach took the Michigan job.

Meechie Johnson - heads back to Ohio State after 2 years there, then 2 years at South Carolina.

Saint Thomas - Leaves North Colorado a year after leaving Loyola. With that name, he probably should have stayed at Loyola.

Danny Wolf - current Yale sophomore 7'0" 255 lbs. Only looking at high academic schools. First Team Ivy League. Rumored that Michigan has the edge.

Dain Dainja - that didn't take long. Illinois center lost ground this season after initially with Baylor.

Sincere Parker - leaving Saint Louis University. A phenomenal scorer. Not academically up to NU reqs.

Gibson Jimmerson - grad transfer from Saint Louis University. Good shooter from 3. Defensive liability.

Stef Van Bussel - Dutch citizen leaving Saint Louis University after freshman season. 6'10" 255 and physical.

Brandon Angel - grad transfer from Stanford 6'8" 240. Frontcourt depth/talent. 45% on 3's last season.

Mawot Mag - Rutgers forward. 6'7" 215 lbs athlete. frontcourt depth. Grad transfer.
Who knew there was so much talent in the Ivy League?

Reactions: drewjin and DaCat
Bronny James is in the portal.

6-2 shooting guard. Disappointed as a top 30 recruit in his first year at USC. Will enter the draft as well, but unlikely to stay in as his stock fell.

Good bloodlines. Even better than that Kirkpatrick guy.

Not in need of a big NIL bag.

Funny name.

Worster -> Worcester
Worcester -> Holly Cross
Holly Cross -> Bill Carmody
Bill Carmody -> Northwestern

I guess what I am saying is that this is basically our player.
I gagged at the reference to Bill Carmody. I’d say based on this association he really isn’t a fit.

Bronny James is in the portal.

6-2 shooting guard. Disappointed as a top 30 recruit in his first year at USC. Will enter the draft as well, but unlikely to stay in as his stock fell.

Good bloodlines. Even better than that Kirkpatrick guy.

Not in need of a big NIL bag.

Funny name.
Think he will get a pass on his first year given his heart trouble.

Rumored to be heading to Duquesne where his father’s teammate is now coaching having succeeded LBJ’s HS coach.

That or Ohio State, though Duquesne has a more recent tourney appearance. Probably a good fit for him to shine and dominate though that didn’t really work out for PBJ Jr.

That or Ohio State, though Duquesne has a more recent tourney appearance. Probably a good fit for him to shine and dominate though that didn’t really work out for PBJ Jr.
The A-10 is a very solid league, it was 8th in KenPom this year behind the power 6 and Mountain West. So he’d be in a much more competitive situation than PBJ was in the Horizon, which is well into the bottom half of the 32 conferences. I don’t think Bronny would dominate the league but it would probably be an easier spot to develop than the B1G.

Rumored to be heading to Duquesne where his father’s teammate is now coaching having succeeded LBJ’s HS coach.
Well, he's a year too late for Duquesne. Dambrot is retiring.

Well, he's a year too late for Duquesne. Dambrot is retiring.

True. However, LeBron is even closer with the new Duquesne head coach Dru Joyce. So close, it was LeBron who announced Joyce getting the job.

Will be interesting to see if Bronny makes a decision based on development… or based on where the cutest girls are in the meantime. He’s already a very rich, athletic young man with a famous name, easy to get distracted.

"Penn transfer guard Clark Slajchert has narrowed his list of schools down to eight, a source told On3. Moving forward, the 6-foot-1 senior will consider USC, UCLA, Cal, Utah State, San Francisco, Stanford, Davidson, and Michigan."

This is disappointing. Thought he was our best option at a grad transfer point guard.

Also two centers - Danny Wolf from Yale and Vlad Goldin from FAU - are both supposedly putting Michigan first on their list. Doesn't really make sense that they'd get both, but who knows.

"Penn transfer guard Clark Slajchert has narrowed his list of schools down to eight, a source told On3. Moving forward, the 6-foot-1 senior will consider USC, UCLA, Cal, Utah State, San Francisco, Stanford, Davidson, and Michigan."

This is disappointing. Thought he was our best option at a grad transfer point guard.

Also two centers - Danny Wolf from Yale and Vlad Goldin from FAU - are both supposedly putting Michigan first on their list. Doesn't really make sense that they'd get both, but who knows.
It's Goldin's FAU coach in Michigan?

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy

This is a head scratcher…that list of schools leads me to believe NU was not heavily involved or backed off. Utah State, San Francisco and Davidson over NU? Something doesn’t add up here.

Goldin's a 5, Wolf's a 4.

Unsure how much it's good to know about recruiting cause everybody misses a lot.

But NU fans expect lots of good news here and it's late as of the UCONN game.

I thought someone posted it earlier. But for frame of reference on timing, here is when last year's group committed:

- Preston: April 16
- Mullins: April 17
- Langborg: April 23
Good reminder. It should get really interesting in the next few weeks.

Reactions: mountaindrew
Good reminder. It should get really interesting in the next few weeks.
ss15 GIF

I thought someone posted it earlier. But for frame of reference on timing, here is when last year's group committed:

- Preston: April 16
- Mullins: April 17
- Langborg: April 23
Is there a portal in BB that opens on 4/16/24 as well?

Players in the portal...

I bet Jimmerson is a prime target.

I bet Jimmerson is a prime target.
I've seen him play a lot.
He needs teammates who can find him when he gets open out at the arc.
Very quick release and pretty good shooter. I've seen him when he's on fire and when he is terrible.

But, I would be hesitant based on his defense. He's not very athletic and (I suspect) would get bullied in the Big Ten.

Does anyone know how competitive we are on NIL - or not? One would think Berry could get some good offers, as could Barny - so we must have a reasonable pot.. And, the recent funding for football and BB facilities is beyond rich. I'm not sure how to square that with talk (on this board) that other schools have far more money to play with.

Does anyone know how competitive we are on NIL - or not? One would think Berry could get some good offers, as could Barny - so we must have a reasonable pot.. And, the recent funding for football and BB facilities is beyond rich. I'm not sure how to square that with talk (on this board) that other schools have far more money to play with.
We’ve got reports that Boo got, what was it, $300-500 K with Chase getting offered a little less than that? That would imply we could offer all the seniors at least $250k, probably more.

Ethan Morton, Pudue, is in the portal. NU offered out of high school way back in 2019.
That dude already looked old when he first got to Purdue. He looks about 40 now.
Did he even see the floor in the final four?

We’ve got reports that Boo got, what was it, $300-500 K with Chase getting offered a little less than that? That would imply we could offer all the seniors at least $250k, probably more.

If you can provide a link to a news article or anything, that would be helpful.
I have never seen or read anything about NU NIL resources.
Of course, I'm not on the Rock.

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
Mason Gillis is in the portal, seems like a grad transfer. I'd love to see him replace Borg as a 3 point shooter, but he'll get paid elsewhere.....

• Love
If you can provide a link to a news article or anything, that would be helpful.
I have never seen or read anything about NU NIL resources.
Of course, I'm not on the Rock.
Where have you read about ANY specific players and the NIL amounts they make?

Is it dumb to imagine that Mark Mitchell of Duke might be interested in NU? Two-year starter, but in the portal as Duke brings in a heap of one-and-dones.

Pure coincidence: He went to Sunrise Christian. Would have been three years behind Ty Berry, so perhaps they played together when Mitchell was a freshman.

Based on numbers, more of a four than a three, but could certainly hold down the post in small lineups and Barnhizer is a more natural 3 than 4 anyway.

(Yes, it’s dumb, I realize.)

Is it dumb to imagine that Mark Mitchell of Duke might be interested in NU? Two-year starter, but in the portal as Duke brings in a heap of one-and-dones.

Pure coincidence: He went to Sunrise Christian. Would have been three years behind Ty Berry, so perhaps they played together when Mitchell was a freshman.

Based on numbers, more of a four than a three, but could certainly hold down the post in small lineups and Barnhizer is a more natural 3 than 4 anyway.

(Yes, it’s dumb, I realize.)
I don’t think this is dumb at all. We’ve gotten Duke guys in the past. Michael Thompson, the center, way back was the one that comes to mind. If Mitchell is an education-first guy I could absolutely see him come to NU as our “4” man to roll Brooks down to the “3.”

• Love
I was told by an ex NU athlete who was told by a BOT member that we needed to raise 1m after the 2023 tourney to keep players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT