ADVERTISEMENT

Possible Dream Transfer

NUHockey

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2015
With Vasser announcing that he is transferring, another scholarship opens. There are different ways Northwestern could use this spot, such as offering Kipper Nichols, putting Nick Segura on scholarship, or taking in another transfer...

Rasheed Sulaimon. Sure it's an extremely lofty idea and there's an obvious reason why one of the best coaches in college basketball kicked him off the team, but this is a guy who was a consensus 5 star recruit in 2012 and averaged between 20-30 minutes a game for one of the best teams in the country. Sure, his production dropped, but so did his playing time.

He's a complete player who can score, pass, defend and rebound and plays under control. I don't see why we wouldn't covet him. He would step in instantly and fill whatever void Cobb left, I would even start him and let Demps come off the bench which he was so effective at doing last year. Collins already took a guy who got kicked off the team in JVZ, I don't see why he shouldn't go for another. He would be a great mentor for the young wings, such as Law and Lindsey.

And this would be an incomplete post if I didn't mention Collins' Duke roots. He recruited Sulaimon from Strake Jesuit in Houston, and he coached him during his most successful year as a freshman. If anyone, Collins knows how good Sulaimon can be. I don't even think Sulaimon is a bad kid, it seemed like from the start he spent much of his time in Durham on Coach K's bad side. If he graduates this summer (what he is trying to do) he would be eligible to play immediately as a grad student.

What do you guys think, possible transfer or just me dreaming? Would you even want Sulaimon?

This post was edited on 4/2 8:47 PM by NUHockey

As you lay it out, it would seem that CC is the guy to make the call form NU's side. I certainly trust his judgement in this matter.

Nightmare Transfer

Originally posted by NUHockey:

Rasheed Sulaimon. Sure it's an extremely lofty idea and there's an obvious reason why one of the best coaches in college basketball kicked him off the team, but this is a guy who was a consensus 5 star recruit in 2012 and averaged between 20-30 minutes a game for one of the best teams in the country. Sure, his production dropped, but so did his playing time. ...
I don't even think Sulaimon is a bad kid, it seemed like from the start he spent much of his time in Durham on Coach K's bad side. If he graduates this summer (what he is trying to do) he would be eligible to play immediately as a grad student.

What do you guys think, possible transfer or just me dreaming? Would you even want Sulaimon?
Answer to 2nd question: NO way on earth.
Answer to 1st question: Neither. It is you not having read about the background leading to RS being the first ever student athlete dismissed by coach K.

It is totally unrealistic to expect NU to get into that firestorm....it'd be a nightmare.

Coach K himself may be in JoePa-like trouble for not having acted earlier...do a google on that affair.

P.S. NU 'dream' grad-to-be transfer would be VT's p-guard and leading scorer (yes, JvZ's former teammate)...whether he has the grades, and would be interested in considering NU is unknown...It may help a bit that VT is a strong academic school in general.

This post was edited on 4/2 9:11 PM by FeliSilvestris

Coach K in JoePa-like trouble?

Dream Transfer would be Dylan Ennis from Villanova. Started all 36 games for them this season and averaged about 10 PPG on a team that was a #1 seed. He's graduating as a junior so he will be eligible to play immediately. Think he's transferring because he's afraid of Brunson coming in and taking his mins

Re: Nightmare Transfer

I've read that Sulaimon is not being investigated by Duke. I've read that the Durham Police Department is not even involved with this case. I've read that Sulaimon is still enrolled at Duke, is in good academic standing, and is hoping to graduate this summer. He got kicked off for failure to "consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of our program", he was never in favor with Coach K, his playing time had diminished, and these allegations were the final straw. And if you want to talk about strong academic schools, look no further than Duke.

Originally posted by NTCAT:
Dream Transfer would be Dylan Ennis from Villanova. Started all 36 games for them this season and averaged about 10 PPG on a team that was a #1 seed. He's graduating as a junior so he will be eligible to play immediately. Think he's transferring because he's afraid of Brunson coming in and taking his mins
I would rather have Ennis as well, but there's no chance he comes to NU. He said he wants more time playing on the ball, I tihnk he recognizes that the only chance he has at the NBA (like his brother Tyler) is if he develops as a point guard. He simply couldn't do that at Villanova with Arch and Brunson, nor could he do that at Northwestern with McIntosh and Demps. Also, NU doesn't really produce NBA talent...look for him to go to Gonzaga or Arizona.

Originally posted by NTCAT:
Dream Transfer would be Dylan Ennis from Villanova. Started all 36 games for them this season and averaged about 10 PPG on a team that was a #1 seed.
Dylan would be a great addition, and since he played for Rice before Villanova, it is likely that he has the academic profile for NU. OTOH, VT's Smith did appreciably better in a similarly strong conference...He played a similar number of minutes, but scored about 35% more (13.4 vs 9.9), and had better scoring averages (44% overall, 42% 3P, 74% FT vs 42% overall, 36% 3P, 62% FT). Not sure about D stats. Of course Villanova is much stronger than VT but we are not recruiting an entire team, just one player!

It seems both would get plenty of offers, and it would be tough for CC and company to persuade either one to choose NU. I doubt either player would be "scared" of competing against BM, though. He is only a rising SO, and all strong programs should have at least one PG comparable to BM, if not stronger.

Hell, if Feli is against it, I'm for it.

Trust Collins on this one. I'm sure he still talks to K, and based on that will make the right decision, if we are even an option at this point.

If we don't land Nichols, then I hope we would

I also wondered, whether we wouldn't make NU a destination for 5th year transfers. Guys who are more mature, have more experience already (including potentially with top flight teams), might be fighting for minutes against other 5 stars, and who want to get a strong graduate degree, cuz the League might not be so obvious a destination. NU's version of the one and done. Every year have one or two guys. Maybe make Duke, given the ties and influx of McD AAs, something of a pipeline given Collins's connection to the program.

If Sulaimon is cleared of all charges, then I would love to land him. But, would rather we still try to land a solid frosh Big if possible.

There is no way we want this kid on my team. Trust me on this one. I am sure CC knows what I know as well, so it won't happen.

No.

I recall he was the first or one of the first guys K has ever kicked off a team. The rumors that he was involved in a sexual assault are enough for us to stay far, far away.

Originally posted by FeliSilvestris Dylan would be a great addition, and since he played for Rice before Villanova, it is likely that he has the academic profile for NU. OTOH, VT's Smith did appreciably better in a similarly strong conference...He played a similar number of minutes, but scored about 35% more (13.4 vs 9.9), and had better scoring averages (44% overall, 42% 3P, 74% FT vs 42% overall, 36% 3P, 62% FT). Not sure about D stats. Of course Villanova is much stronger than VT but we are not recruiting an entire team, just one player!

It seems both would get plenty of offers, and it would be tough for CC and company to persuade either one to choose NU. I doubt either player would be "scared" of competing against BM, though. He is only a rising SO, and all strong programs should have at least one PG comparable to BM, if not stronger.
Interesting that you seem so enamored with the idea of Smith. This guy is not a good player. He put up inflated numbers for a terrible Virginia Tech team, shooting the ball 11 times a game in the process and isn't he a point guard? He averaged less than an assist a game. I don't think I would even want him.

Ennis on the other hand is terrific. You never mentioned his great defense or his terrific rebounding as a guard, neither of which show up on the season averages that you just looked at. This kid has NBA potential.

I know we're playing in hypotheticals ... so I'll just say IF it were to happen (it won't), you probably couldn't use the moral high ground argument over Ohio State ever again.

Originally posted by olshin:
I know we're playing in hypotheticals ... so I'll just say IF it were to happen (it won't), you probably couldn't use the moral high ground argument over Ohio State ever again.
Actually, you could. This one instance is like a grain of sand on the beach compared to Ohio State. Nothing Northwestern is even capable of doing in our lifetimes could compare to what we've been seeing at OSU for as long as any of us can remember. In the aggregate, the difference would remain night and day. All that said, I agree that this is not something I'd like to see us get involved in.

Originally posted by NUHockey:
Originally posted by FeliSilvestris Dylan would be a great addition, and since he played for Rice before Villanova, it is likely that he has the academic profile for NU. OTOH, VT's Smith did appreciably better in a similarly strong conference...He played a similar number of minutes, but scored about 35% more (13.4 vs 9.9), and had better scoring averages (44% overall, 42% 3P, 74% FT vs 42% overall, 36% 3P, 62% FT). Not sure about D stats. Of course Villanova is much stronger than VT but we are not recruiting an entire team, just one player!
Interesting that you seem so enamored with the idea of Smith. This guy is not a good player. He put up inflated numbers for a terrible Virginia Tech team, shooting the ball 11 times a game in the process and isn't he a point guard? He averaged less than an assist a game. I don't think I would even want him.

Ennis on the other hand is terrific. You never mentioned his great defense or his terrific rebounding as a guard, neither of which show up on the season averages that you just looked at. This kid has NBA potential.
First, as indicated in the quoted text, I described Ennis as "a great addition"...can you see that?

That doesnt change the fact that Smith's offensive numbers (including the shooting percentages) are significantly better than Ennis'...I don't follow closely either player, and admitted that I could not comment on defense...can you see it? In any case, it would seem that NU biggest question mark for next season is O, not D, with Tre seemingly being the only proven scorer (but even he has had his ups and downs, as have Olah, BM, and others).

Can you help me understand how Smith's SHOOTING AVERAGES are helped by his playing in a weaker team (considering how strong the ACC is, I'd be hesitant to call them terrible, but that's another story) ? Obviously it shouldn't help his FT shooting (which isn't great but not terrible, and significantly better than Ennis'). I cannot see how it'd make his 3P to fall more often either. If anything, his playing in a weaker team allows/encourages the D to focus on him, and possibly double-team him when the circumstances warrant it....which should tend to lower his shooting effectiveness, not raise it, do you agree?

He took relatively many shots simply because he was hitting them (especially treys...a 42.4% 3P shooting is like a 63.6 2P shooting!...that explains why he took almost 11 shots per game (just one more than BM, by the way)...over half (5.8) were beyond the arc....His low assist numbers could be the result of the team not having many other scoring options, and his coaches probably giving him the green light to shoot whenever reasonable...he had more than twice as many assists the preceding season.

Anyhow, I reiterate that either player would be a great get, but sadly, probably neither will join the cats.

Originally posted by olshin:
OK, you have a point.

Living out in Philly, last thing Cats need is Ennis. He's leaving Villanova because he wants to be an on the ball point guard. Unless they want to take McIntosh off the ball, Ennis is a bad match. Have always been leery of kid. Played HS ball in Ill despite growing up in Canada. Goes to Rice and then transfer to Nova because he wanted to play closer to home. Like Philly is right around corner from Canada! Decides to leave Nova because he wants to play a 'traditional' point guard. Nova been playing the same multiple guard offense for years so he had to know going in they didn't play a 'traditional' point guard. Now leaving a top 5 program because he 'WANTS" ball in his hand. NO WAY I want player like this around this young team. Don't want RS from Duke either. Brought Collins in to build a program so let's let him BUILD it the right way!

Rasheed is a friend of one of my very trusted friends. As far as what happened at duke, it is exceedingly difficult to find any incriminating evidence against him for that specific incident.

09. then why was he kicked off the team? Other incidents?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT