ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Observations From CIA-Level Intel Expert

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
Not really. Just a friend of mine who loves Cat football but doesn't do message board stuff. But he knows that junkies like Coral, Purple Pile Driver and Uber always need a Wildcat fix like Glades' needs a new swamp bug to study. So he went to practice this week, and he sent me his notes.

Andrew Marty was the first-team quarterback and was slinging it like a guy with two first names. He looked good, in other words.

Ryan Hilinski was No. 2 and was also impressive. He hit Ray Niro for a diving touchdown catch on a very well-placed throw.

Hunter Johnson struggled, overthrowing several receivers. He went 0-5 and had one pass picked off by AJ Hampton in the scrimmage.

Cam Porter looks quite a bit faster (or maybe our defense is slower?) Evan Hull gashed the second-team defense with some big runs.

Coco Azema is another guy that looked really fast out there. This is good because he doesn't look super tall.

My friend wrote "Graham Metz had an impressive pass rush on one play, beating Ben Wrather off the edge to get to Johnson" Obviously my friend is dumb, because Graham Metz does not exist, and Graham Mertz plays QB at Wisconsin. He meant Greyson Metz, an 0.8627 composite recruit at Dennys who turned down putative offers at Iowa, Louisville, Cuse, and Air Force to walk on at NU. He is probably our highest rated walk-on ever. Sounds like he will be on schollie soon. It would be cool to see Greyson Metz sack Graham Mertz and listen to Gus Johnson try to explain it all.

Here are the first- and second-team lineups. "Keep in mind that this is just one day, and that several key players were sidelined for minor injuries or a day off. Question marks are players that couldn’t be identified." (he wanted to be sure I caveated his lineup card with appropriate disclosures)

QB Marty/Hilinski
RB Porter/Hull
WR Kirtz/Dennis
WR Holman/Hooper-Price (could these two guys be any more different as athletes?)
WR Jefferson/Gill
TE Mangieri/?
T Skoronski/?
G Schmidt/?
C Gerak/?
G Widerkehr/?
T Franks/Wrather

DE Miller/McLaughlin
DT Butler/Spivak
DT Kent/?
DE Tommy A/O’Rourke
SAM Bergin/Metz
MIKE Jones/Coleman
WILL McIntyre/Mueller
CB Hampton/Heard II
CB Mitchell/Hollis
S Joseph/Jackson
S Azema/Sermons

Don't sleep on Sermons, a senior former walk-on. His dad was a pretty good player at USC. I guess he got lots of time practicing against Keyshawn.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News