ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Press conference notes

mshelton33

Jun 16, 2021
Here are my notes from the press conference today:

David Braun

QB Battle:

Braun said he saw good things out of both quarterbacks, though Bryant seems to be the favorite.

"Brendan Sullivan definitely brings a different dynamic in terms of his athleticism and some of the things you can do with his speed. Ben is is making some really sound decisions in the drop back pass game, getting the ball on time. Both are doing a great job of competing here today...

"Ben and Sully have been doing a tremendous job and we're excited to give them a couple more opportunities before we crystallize who we're going with going forwards."

Team is locked in going forward:

Braun said at Big Ten Media Days that the team needed to turn a corner at some point in its fall camp and focus on going forward rather than what had happened in the past. He said they've reach that point now.

"That realization has happened, that time was this week as we entered the third week of camp. We went through a tough week last week, we have a tough week ahead and our focus has shifted direction [forwards]. Our focus is on serving these young men and the people in the building and the best way to do that is to go out and work to win one in New Jersey."

Braun starting to feel more comfortable as head coach:

"It's very different as each day has gone by I've become more and more comfortable, but I still have a lot to learn. Coach Holtz has been a great resource, Jeff Genyk is a former head coach and I've also been talking with Matt Entz who is the head coach at NDSU. [Asking them] I never envisioned this, how would you handle this situation, and I still have a lot to learn."

Players

Ben Bryant on QB room:

"It's been a great process coming in here. I mean, everyone's welcomed me with open arms in the quarterback room. I can't speak enough about how awesome they've been. Any question I have they are willing to answer it and help me out and coach Jake, such a good coach and this is honestly one of the smartest quarterback rooms I've ever been around."

Bryant on if he or the transfers have asked any previous players about hazing:

"Since we've been here, our experience has been great and we've never felt like we had to have those conversations. All we know is what we know, and we know that we've had a great experience and we're excited to go out and play ball.

Richie Hagarty and Ben Bryant on team building:

Bryant: "Every day we start our team meeting with competition between position groups, and that's something that I think everyone enjoys. Our staff has done a really good job of putting that together and everyone's all excited and cheering each other on and that's been a really fun thing for us."

Hagarty: "Stuff outside of football, they brought in [basketball] hoops one day, playing Mario Kart, stuff like that to get away that brings us together."

Hagarty said that the team's Mario Kart ringer is strength coach Alex Spanos.

Stories to come from this afternoon from me and tomorrow from Austin Siegel.

Last edited:
Reactions: TerraCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News