ADVERTISEMENT

Question About Schollies

Medill90

Jan 30, 2011
Doesn't NU have 4 spots for the 2016 class? NU has 2 Juniors, 4 Sophomores and 3 Freshmen which totals 9, and leaves 4 spots.

Verbal Commits indicates only 3 Schollies.

Doesn't NU have 4 spots for the 2016 class? NU has 2 Juniors, 4 Sophomores and 3 Freshmen which totals 9, and leaves 4 spots.

Verbal Commits indicates only 3 Schollies.

Yes, NU has 4 available. Not sure why Verbal Commits has it wrong.

What about the grad transfer who became official last week?

What about the grad transfer who became official last week?

He's included. Here is the roster:
Seniors: Olah, Demps, ven Zegeren
Juniors: Lumpkin, Taphorn
Sophs: Law, BMac, Lindsey, Skelly
Freshmen: Ash, Falzon, Pardon

So NU currently has 12 players on scholarship against a max of 13. Three run out of eligibility after this season, so there are 4 available for next year.

He's included. Here is the roster:
Seniors: Olah, Demps, ven Zegeren
Juniors: Lumpkin, Taphorn
Sophs: Law, BMac, Lindsey, Skelly
Freshmen: Ash, Falzon, Pardon

So NU currently has 12 players on scholarship against a max of 13. Three run out of eligibility after this season, so there are 4 available for next year.
Seeing them all listed out here... this may be as deep and well-rounded of a roster we have ever had for NU hoops. I am really excited about the coming season!!

Seeing them all listed out here... this may be as deep and well-rounded of a roster we have ever had for NU hoops. I am really excited about the coming season!!

I agree. While there is no Shurna or Crawford, there are no players who clearly don't belong in the Big 10. Bodes well for the future!

While there is no Shurna or Crawford ...

Somebody give me a tap on the shoulder when NU gets the next guy who is going to be the all-time leading scorer.

But I'm not sure Crawford isn't here. To be fair to the differences in game style, I think you need to look at the advanced stats of both. There's "some" comparison. BMac still has a ways to go, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

Also, when you look at the advanced stuff, there's an argument to be made that Crawford's freshman year was his best. If BY CHANCE BMac statistically improves every year, no doubt he will equal Crawford.

I agree. While there is no Shurna or Crawford, there are no players who clearly don't belong in the Big 10. Bodes well for the future!
While I think it would be absurd to put the pressure on any kid to live up to John Shurna's career at Northwestern, I don't think you can say we don't necessarily have a Shurna or Crawford on the team. Guys get better over 4 years, and especially from year 1 to year 2.

Name: PPG as freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, 5th year
Shurna: 7.3, 18.2, 16.6, 20
Crawford: 10, 12.1, 16.1, 13.5, 15.7
Thompson: 16.3, 14.2, 9.9, 11.6

Olah: 6.1, 9.1, 11.7
Demps: 7.6, 11.0, 12.5
McIntosh: 11.4
Law: 7

Juice had the biggest Freshman year, but keep in mind, that team was f-ing terrible fishing 8-22 (1-17). Is McIntosh going to make the next step and be a 15 point guy? Or will he make the next step like Juice and be a 10 point guy but run the offense better? Is Demps going to go from being a late game closer to an all game scorer like Shurna? Is Law going to make the jump that Shurna did from year 1 to year 2? What is Lindsey going to do with more playing time? How is Olah going to improve in the paint? Is he going to become the beast, start going to the basket strong, and dominate the big ten like his body looks like it can? Any of those guys can become Shurna or Crawford in their prime. We just got to let them get there.

Great post by Shakes3858. Well researched. It shows why NU might really benefit by having players in your program for 4 years as opposed to factory schools like OSU and MSU whose players leave early. Shakes3858 brings up an excellent point that if you are on a weaker team, there are more opportunities to score. I love Jon Shurna, but his scoring averages did increase because Kevin Coble was dismissed or chose to leave the program and the team only had a couple of Big 10 level players on each squad.

As for scholarships, there are six scholarships available over the next two years (2016 and 2017). So if Collins wants to balance his classes, he is looking at 3 scholarships per year.
However, if two four-star players commit for 2016 then Collins might go with 4 commits in 2016 and then figure out 2017 later.

It shows why NU might really benefit by having players in your program for 4 years as opposed to factory schools like OSU and MSU whose players leave early. Shakes3858 brings up an excellent point that if you are on a weaker team, there are more opportunities to score. I love Jon Shurna, but his scoring averages did increase because Kevin Coble was dismissed or chose to leave the program and the team only had a couple of Big 10 level players on each squad.

Two thoughts:

1) I give you OSU, players do leave early. But the majority of MSU players stay for the full 4 seasons of eligibility.

2) Isn't it also possible that when you are by far the best player on the team, opponents put emphasis on stopping you? Shurna led the Big 10 in scoring and was first team All Big 10. The best basketball conference in the nation. John was a very good college player. Throw out the stats, my eyes told me he was a leader on the floor and I'd take him on any Collins team.

Ok. I was focusing on Garry Harris who was a pretty good player at MSU and he played two seasons. Maybe I meant UM instead of MSU (Burke, Hardaway, Jr., Robinson III, McGrary, Stauskas) or Indiana (Zeller, Oladipo and Vonleh) who have been hurt by players leaving early and that will help schools like NU whose players do not have that option of being drafted by the NBA before their eligibility runs out.

John was an excellent college player and an all-time great at NU. But he did need to score on those teams because there were very few other options to score and as a result, that helped increase his scoring average as opposed to being on well-balanced teams with depth (meaning more than a few Big 10 caliber players).

Ok. I was focusing on Garry Harris who was a pretty good player at MSU and he played two seasons. Maybe I meant UM instead of MSU (Burke, Hardaway, Jr., Robinson III, McGrary, Stauskas) or Indiana (Zeller, Oladipo and Vonleh) who have been hurt by players leaving early and that will help schools like NU whose players do not have that option of being drafted by the NBA before their eligibility runs out.

Yes and no. On the one hand, those schools can certainly have down years if they lose a number of players early to the draft. On the other, those schools typically have great seasons when those players are there, much better than anything we've experienced here, and their "down" years are still pretty good by NU standards. And while it's definitely true that having players for four years -- especially under the same coach/system -- can give you an experienced roster, talent is still the most important element. NU was consistently terrible for a long, long time despite all our players being four-year guys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT